Re: [solarisx86] Re: Sunrise, Sunset

    Message 1 of 36 , May 2, 2011
      In message <B8A220FC-AC72-42E0-B3C4-F38D73FBE7F1@...>, "Stuart F
      . Biggar" writes:
      >x86: Sun Fire X4270 M2, 2 6-core 2.93 GHz CPUs, 144 GB RAM, 2 300 GB
      >15k SAS drives, etc - EDU price of $13,431 (27% discount), $1612
      >per year support

      Dell's discount to Penn State looks to be 25%, at least looking at
      a PowerEdge R515.

      >intensive tasks. I sure wish some software vendors would support x86
      >in addition to or, better, instead of SPARC.

      You should check if UofA's preferred Linux and virtualization
      solution providers will quote you better than Dell for those bits.
      While probably technically inferior to Solaris, they're supported
      by volume, instead of Ed Zander, Larry Ellison niche marketing
      strategies which ISVs will support.

    • Ian Collins
      Message 36 of 36 , May 3, 2011
        On 05/ 3/11 07:29 PM, palowoda wrote:
        > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins<ian@...> wrote:
        >> On 05/ 3/11 02:18 PM, John D Groenveld wrote:
        >>> Donnelly links to Iain Thomson's January 28 2010 article
        >>> on Charles Phillips' discovery of the super genius plans for
        >>> the hot-tub time-machine from Ed Zander's wet-dreams:
        >>> <URL:http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1960211/oracle-details-plans-sun-integration>

        >> Ah good, so it won't change anything down here in NZ!
        >>
        > You where probably shaken up quite a bit in the past year to worry about it.

        Just a bit!

        --
        Ian.