Re: [solarisx86] mpt(7D) SAS HBAs

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
      In message <4D6C839B.20005@...>, Phillip Bruce writes:
      >That is the only explanation I have. I know this for a fact as I used to
      >have accessed to internal design docs. If vendors were not sharing memory
      >on their ASIC chip you end up getting full bandwith per port. Because
      >most ASIC share memory you get even bandwith until you disable one of
      >the ports then you get full bandwidth of the ASIC chiip.

      I fell over the concurrent write problem with the Adaptec RAID
      controller when Dassault dispatched their professional services
      onsite to help us migrate Enovia MatrixOne off Microstupid to
      Solaris on X4250s.
      Performance went to hell when they were uploading files and running
      the indexer simultaniously.
      I was able to duplicate by running bonnie++ on two separate ZFS
      pools.
      Swapped out the Adaptec for the LSI and we were back in the 21st
      century.
      Looks like Adaptec has lost Larry Ellison and company's business
      as the Adaptec controller is not an option for the X4270M2s AFAICT
      from the Hardware Handbook on MOS.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
        In message <AANLkTikpvEgHdCmmB1a7G6SYn9enuf0pUWRWBN4dGqW4@...>, "Ale
        x Smith (K4RNT)" writes:
        >PERCs are MegaRAIDs with custom firmware, but still use the megaraid drivers.

        PowerEdge RAID Controllers (SIC?) are not always MegaRAIDs.
        Years ago I saw one that was a rebadged Adaptec.

        The trick is to fetch Dell's Solaris or Unbreakable Linux drivers
        and unzip(1).

      • Chris Ridd
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
          On 01/03/2011 13:13, John D Groenveld wrote:
          > Looks like Adaptec has lost Larry Ellison and company's business
          > as the Adaptec controller is not an option for the X4270M2s AFAICT
          > from the Hardware Handbook on MOS.

          Didn't Adaptec sell off their HBA business? Their page on Wikipedia
          suggests they're pretty defunct.

          Chris
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
            In message <4D6CF453.6000601@...>, Chris Ridd writes:
            >Didn't Adaptec sell off their HBA business? Their page on Wikipedia
            >suggests they're pretty defunct.

            See Chris Mellor on Adaptec, PMC-Sierra and Steel Partners:
            <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/16/adaptec_fires_cfo/>
            <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/10/adaptec_sells_raid/>

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
              In message <201103010415.p214FvmA002292@...>, Marion Hakanson writ
              es:
              >I don't think so, I think it uses the mpt_sas(7D) driver. That's the driver
              >for anything with the LSI 6Gbit/sec SAS chipset. The "mpt" driver is for
              >the older 3Gbps chipsets.

              Thanks, I had not RTFM'd mpt_sas(7D).

              >However, we were unable to find this same card on the Oracle online site in
              >February, nor have we successfully been able to get a quote for one from
              >Oracle since then. Our sales rep has dutifully submitted the request to
              >their system, even escalated our request to a VP, but it's been 3 weeks
              >without even a quote, let alone being able to order one.

              Uggh.
              There's a survey link on Shop.Sun.COM:
              <URL:http://landingpad.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/ns/dlgwelcome.jsp?p_ext=Y&p_dlg_id=9775318&src=7040071&Act=5>

              >are the X4170 (model 1's), which we bought 1.5 years ago. Oracle
              >doesn't seem to want to sell us hardware anymore.

              Ouch. It sucks to be part of the high-volume, low-margin end of
              the market that Thomas Kurian and company's ERP system can't
              profit and that Larry Ellison has no interest.

            • Adrian Saul
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2, 2011
                The "StorageTek SAS RAID External" controllers in our X4270s have boot
                BIOS messages from Adaptec and use the aac driver, but you download
                firmware and software from Intel.

                They appear on the Intel site as OEM Storage Controllers.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2011
                  Le 01.03.2011 19:20, John D Groenveld a écrit :
                  > In message<201103010415.p214FvmA002292@...>, Marion Hakanson writ
                  > es:
                  >> I don't think so, I think it uses the mpt_sas(7D) driver. That's the driver
                  >> for anything with the LSI 6Gbit/sec SAS chipset. The "mpt" driver is for
                  >> the older 3Gbps chipsets.
                  >
                  > Thanks, I had not RTFM'd mpt_sas(7D).

                  I think it's a bit more complicated than that, the mpt driver can also
                  go up to 6Gbps. Also, my understanding is that some chipsets can use
                  either mpt or mr_sas (!= mpt_sas) depending if their BIOS makes them do
                  RAID or not.

                  But all in all, LSI chipsets are very well supported at the driver
                  level, and the lsiutil tool works well.
                  The MSM tools from LSI are incredibly buggy, though, and will try hard
                  to break your system before failing to work. Luckily, they're difficult
                  to find on LSI's website. I think there's a version distributed by
                  Sun/Oracle, but I never tried that.