Shame on you for saying Oracle's too slow on support contracts

  • Tim Evans
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
      Got this from Oracle today:

      "I am currently your renewal sales rep. Attached you will find a renewal
      contract SUN-NKXXXXXX. This does not expire until Feb of 2011, but I
      wanted to make sure you had it in time to prepare if needed. Please feel
      free to contact me with any questions you may have."

      --
      Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
      UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
        On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Tim Evans <tkevans@...> wrote:

        > Got this from Oracle today:
        >
        > "I am currently your renewal sales rep. Attached you will find a renewal
        > contract SUN-NKXXXXXX. This does not expire until Feb of 2011, but I
        > wanted to make sure you had it in time to prepare if needed. Please feel
        > free to contact me with any questions you may have."
        >
        > --
        > Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
        > UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
        > http://www.tkevans.com/ | 443-394-3864
        > http://www.come-here.com/News/ | tkevans@...

        Perhaps, you are the recipiant of the new "mentality" at Oracle
        regarding service contracts. I can tell you that my and my bosses
        experience with the whole thing leaves *alot* to be desired.

        Muliple contracts if you miss some hardware that you thought was
        on inventory. Who *thought* this was a good idea? Bean counters.
        Not people who deal with day to day contract stuff for sure. If they
        had any clue what this does to procurement, they'd drop that idiotic
        idea like a hot rock.
      • Tim Evans
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
          John Taylor wrote:

          > Perhaps, you are the recipiant of the new "mentality" at Oracle
          > regarding service contracts. I can tell you that my and my bosses
          > experience with the whole thing leaves *alot* to be desired.

          Guess I shoulda put in a literal smiley. Here 'tis: :-)

          The irony was that they contacted me months *in advance* of the expiration
          of my contract.

          --
          Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
          UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
          http://www.tkevans.com/ | 443-394-3864
          http://www.come-here.com/News/ | tkevans@...
        • pcsol1996
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Evans" <tkevans@...> wrote:

            > John Taylor wrote:
            >
            > > Perhaps, you are the recipiant of the new "mentality" at Oracle
            > > regarding service contracts. I can tell you that my and my bosses
            > > experience with the whole thing leaves *alot* to be desired.
            >
            > Guess I shoulda put in a literal smiley. Here 'tis: :-)
            >
            > The irony was that they contacted me months *in advance* of the expiration
            > of my contract.
            >
            > --
            > Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
            > UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
            > http://www.tkevans.com/ | 443-394-3864
            > http://www.come-here.com/News/ | tkevans@...

            Well likely about right. I am at nearly 6 weeks now and only update is my rep is having trouble getting in touch with the correct person.
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
              In message <17091c0970b4858dd0e7b72e1936512c.squirrel@...>, "
              Tim Evans" writes:
              >The irony was that they contacted me months *in advance* of the expiration
              >of my contract.

              Sun Microsystems might still be in business if Scott McNealy and
              company's sales critters were similarly attentive to lapsing and
              lapsed support contract renewals and aging systems.

              BTW I'm not characterizing Keith Block and company's execution
              in your case as malign or benign, just competent, regardless
              whether the six month lead is a hack around Oracle's support
              quotation and entitlement issuance systems or just slack
              for customer's sclerotic bureaucracies and purchasing systems.

              BBTW The CSI numbers issued with my Oracle Premier Support
              purchases are finally recognized by My Oracle Support.
              Premier for Systems CSI numbers are bound to Sun system
              serial numbers in MOS.
              I haven't purchased Premier for Operating Systems.