CUDA support for Solaris based systems

  • Stefan Parvu
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
      Morning guys,

      If you are running nvidia cards on Solaris or any other
      distro of Solaris and you would like to have support
      for CUDA can you reply or send your feedback to:

      Despite current news about OpenSolaris, there are large number
      of systems running Solaris out there. CUDA is not only a desktop
      technology, therefore it is highly important to have support for
      it on Oracle platforms !

      Thanks,
      Stefan
    • JT-solx86list
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
        We had a short discussion about CUDA support for Solaris, about a year ago.
        A preliminary - and working - port existed already at that time; what they (Sun, back then) needed was a kinda "business justification".

        See this thread here:
        http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=81511&tstart=0

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
          On 00:57 Wed 01 Sep , JT-solx86list wrote:
          > We had a short discussion about CUDA support for Solaris, about a year ago.
          > A preliminary - and working - port existed already at that time; what they (Sun, back then) needed was a kinda "business justification".
          >
          > See this thread here:
          > http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=81511&tstart=0

          thanks. Can you please all of you interested post on under nvidia
          forum that they will see there is a demand first of all. second
          would be great to hear from John M. Martin whats the status for
          this, probable stuck on some legal issues...to bad.

          Can we hope to see this moved forward ? Missing CUDA on Solaris
          x86 really make Solaris no go for graphics and GPU computing.

          And thats really something we need to fix.

          stefan
        • John Martin
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
            On 09/ 1/10 03:57 AM, JT-solx86list wrote:

            > We had a short discussion about CUDA support for Solaris, about a year ago.
            > A preliminary - and working - port existed already at that time; what
            > they (Sun, back then) needed was a kinda "business justification".

            No change from the original posting. NVIDIA needs to be shown there
            is a business case, which means incremental sales of Quadro/Tesla
            boards if support for Oracle Solaris is released.
          • Stefan Parvu
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
              > No change from the original posting. NVIDIA needs to be shown there
              > is a business case, which means incremental sales of Quadro/Tesla
              > boards if support for Oracle Solaris is released.

              meaning, people should buy Tesla/Quadro and run Solaris on them ?
              So folks, start buying Quadro cards :) I already did.

              stefan
            • Paul Gress
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                On 09/ 1/10 02:10 PM, Stefan Parvu wrote:
                >> No change from the original posting. NVIDIA needs to be shown there
                >> is a business case, which means incremental sales of Quadro/Tesla
                >> boards if support for Oracle Solaris is released.
                >>

                > meaning, people should buy Tesla/Quadro and run Solaris on them ?
                > So folks, start buying Quadro cards :) I already did.

                I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                it's used for Solaris?

                Paul

              • Rodney Sparapani
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                  On 09/ 1/10 03:13 PM, Paul Gress wrote:
                  > I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                  > it's used for Solaris?
                  >
                  > Paul

                  Do they come with warranty/product registration information?

                  --
                  Rodney Sparapani Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
                  Sr. Biostatistician http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                    On 09/ 1/10 04:13 PM, Paul Gress wrote:

                    > I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                    > it's used for Solaris?

                    Remember this thread requested asking NVIDIA for CUDA
                    using the nvnews.net posting. So you would tell them.

                    Two things I've been previously told by NVIDIA:

                    1. Quadro/Tesla cards carry much more weight than GeForce.
                    (This is not to say a sufficient quantity of GeForce would
                    be ignored --- see Apple).

                    2. Trading Windows/Linux installs for Oracle Solaris isn't exciting.
                    It is the incremental business that makes it interesting.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                      In message <4C7EB3F2.4090001@...>, Paul Gress writes:
                      >I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                      >it's used for Solaris?

                      nVidia's marketing wonks could check their Google Analytics
                      or if they don't trust the Google Oracle, their own agent_log's.

                      Or they could poll attendees at SIGGRAPH or Super Computing.

                    • Alan Coopersmith
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                        John D Groenveld wrote:
                        > nVidia's marketing wonks could check their Google Analytics
                        > or if they don't trust the Google Oracle, their own agent_log's.

                        Cards used for CUDA/GPGPU probably aren't going to be running web
                        browsers that connect to anyone's webserver. The question wasn't
                        about use of Solaris as a desktop.

                        --
                        -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                          In message <4C7EEFF5.2050509@...>, Alan Coopersmith writes:
                          >Cards used for CUDA/GPGPU probably aren't going to be running web
                          >browsers that connect to anyone's webserver.

                          nVidia's marketing wonks appear bullish on HPC workstation solutions
                          for the desktop:
                          <URL:http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tesla_C2050_C2070_us.html>
                          | NVIDIA Tesla C2050/2070 Computing Processor delivers
                          | supercomputing power at 1/20th the power consumption and 1/10th
                          | the cost, bringing the performance of a small cluster to the
                          | desktop.

                          > The question wasn't
                          >about use of Solaris as a desktop.

                          There's a desktop answer to every question.

                        • Stefan Parvu
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010

                            > I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                            > it's used for Solaris?

                            True. I think we should be more active on their forums and communicate
                            more often about Quadro and Solaris. Probable thats how they measure first
                            our presence. If there is minimal traffic about Solaris then they
                            wont even go further since there is no community, users...

                            So to fix this:
                            - all users of Quadro, please use nvidia forums to post and be more active.
                            nvnews.net

                            - report there how you use Solaris / Quadro products

                            - ask for CUDA Solaris support !

                            Thanks,
                            Stefan
                          • pcsol1996
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@...> wrote:

                              > On 09/ 1/10 04:13 PM, Paul Gress wrote:
                              >
                              > > I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                              > > it's used for Solaris?
                              >
                              > Remember this thread requested asking NVIDIA for CUDA
                              > using the nvnews.net posting. So you would tell them.
                              >
                              > Two things I've been previously told by NVIDIA:
                              >
                              > 1. Quadro/Tesla cards carry much more weight than GeForce.
                              > (This is not to say a sufficient quantity of GeForce would
                              > be ignored --- see Apple).
                              >
                              > 2. Trading Windows/Linux installs for Oracle Solaris isn't exciting.
                              > It is the incremental business that makes it interesting.

                              The only reason NVIDIA started making drivers was Sun was building x86 workstations. Now that Oraclke has killed that and HP and Dell off no Solaris workstations, why should we be optimistic that NVIDIA will continue to write drivers??
                            • John Taylor
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM, pcsol1996 <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

                                > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > On 09/ 1/10 04:13 PM, Paul Gress wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I've always purchased the Quadro cards. But how is Nvidia to find out
                                > > > it's used for Solaris?
                                > >
                                > > Remember this thread requested asking NVIDIA for CUDA
                                > > using the nvnews.net posting. So you would tell them.
                                > >
                                > > Two things I've been previously told by NVIDIA:
                                > >
                                > > 1. Quadro/Tesla cards carry much more weight than GeForce.
                                > > (This is not to say a sufficient quantity of GeForce would
                                > > be ignored --- see Apple).
                                > >
                                > > 2. Trading Windows/Linux installs for Oracle Solaris isn't exciting.
                                > > It is the incremental business that makes it interesting.
                                > >
                                > The only reason NVIDIA started making drivers was Sun was building x86 workstations. Now that Oraclke has killed that and HP and Dell off no Solaris workstations, why should we be optimistic that NVIDIA will continue to write drivers??

                                I would assume that NVIDIA has sold more video cards direct to Solaris
                                users than
                                were garnered through the Sun workstation program. I know I've
                                purchased at least
                                5 NVIDIA cards in the last several years.

                                Besides, they've already got the infrastructure to build the *nix
                                drivers, and the
                                incremental cost, I would assume, to support Solaris is not taxing to the
                                business unit.
                              • Apostolos Syropoulos
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                  >The only reason NVIDIA started making drivers was Sun was building x86
                                  >workstations. Now that Oraclke has killed that and HP and Dell off no Solaris
                                  >workstations, why should we be optimistic that NVIDIA will continue to write
                                  >drivers??

                                  I fully agree. However, the only good news is the development of an open source
                                  driver:

                                  http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

                                  A.S.
                                  ----------------------
                                  Apostolos Syropoulos
                                  Xanthi, Greece
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                    In message <AANLkTik2mo1Cb6CUZZvODP6jpf4um2L3s5Ljt3sJpdGp@...>, John
                                    Taylor writes:
                                    >Besides, they've already got the infrastructure to build the *nix
                                    >drivers, and the
                                    >incremental cost, I would assume, to support Solaris is not taxing to the
                                    >business unit.

                                    How tiny of a niche solution does Judith Sim and company's
                                    marketing wonks need to cut back the Solaris desktop ecosystem
                                    until nVidia's product managers consider Solaris support more
                                    bother than its worth?

                                  • Stefan Parvu
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                      > The only reason NVIDIA started making drivers was Sun was building x86 workstations. Now that Oraclke has killed that and HP and Dell off no Solaris workstations, why should we be optimistic that NVIDIA will continue to write drivers??

                                      I think there will be folks running Solaris x86 on wksts.
                                      Would be good to see more active presence from us, the Solaris users under
                                      nvidia forums, this way we generate traffic and they see people are
                                      really using Solaris + Nvidia.

                                      Currently traffic is the lowest under:
                                      http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for Solaris !

                                      stefan
                                    • John Martin
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                        On 09/ 2/10 11:07 AM, Stefan Parvu wrote:

                                        > Currently traffic is the lowest under:
                                        > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for Solaris !

                                        As it should be. The driver is bundled and primary support
                                        goes through Oracle. There is a single driver image for
                                        all flavors of Oracle Solaris. There is no need to ask NVIDIA
                                        for support on installing on distro X, among other support issues
                                        directed to NVIDIA instead of the distro owner.
                                      • Stefan Parvu
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                          >> Currently traffic is the lowest under:
                                          >> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for Solaris !
                                          >
                                          > As it should be. The driver is bundled and primary support
                                          > goes through Oracle. There is a single driver image for
                                          > all flavors of Oracle Solaris. There is no need to ask NVIDIA
                                          > for support on installing on distro X, among other support issues
                                          > directed to NVIDIA instead of the distro owner.

                                          ok, then how nvidia will see that there is a demand for Solaris ?
                                          I have 3 quadro cards at home. I have Solaris/OpenSolaris on these
                                          machines. I would like to learn and experiment with CUDA. I am forced to
                                          switch to Linux because of this. Please let me know.

                                          What I meant was, if they see there is traffic, messages, people
                                          talking about NVIDIA/Solaris they might support and keep things
                                          uptodate as for Linux platforms. Example here:
                                          http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2288111&postcount=12

                                          Greetings,
                                          stefan
                                        • pcsol1996
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Parvu <stefanparvu14@...> wrote:

                                            > >> Currently traffic is the lowest under:
                                            > >> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for Solaris !
                                            > >
                                            > > As it should be. The driver is bundled and primary support
                                            > > goes through Oracle. There is a single driver image for
                                            > > all flavors of Oracle Solaris. There is no need to ask NVIDIA
                                            > > for support on installing on distro X, among other support issues
                                            > > directed to NVIDIA instead of the distro owner.
                                            >
                                            > ok, then how nvidia will see that there is a demand for Solaris ?
                                            > I have 3 quadro cards at home. I have Solaris/OpenSolaris on these
                                            > machines. I would like to learn and experiment with CUDA. I am forced to
                                            > switch to Linux because of this. Please let me know.
                                            >
                                            > What I meant was, if they see there is traffic, messages, people
                                            > talking about NVIDIA/Solaris they might support and keep things
                                            > uptodate as for Linux platforms. Example here:
                                            > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2288111&postcount=12
                                            >
                                            > Greetings,
                                            > stefan

                                            Although I understand John's optimism given his position at Oracle, I just fail to see why Oracle would continue to support the driver given the fact that Oracle has fired all it's HPC visualization and desktop customers. And if Oracle drops support why would NVIDIA pick it up.

                                            If we know one thing about Oracle it's that Oracle has to make significant money off something or else it's gone. I think the only chance to save it is to convince Oracle that there is a market (which may be an impossibility).
                                          • John Martin
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                              On 09/ 2/10 03:15 PM, Stefan Parvu wrote:
                                              >>> Currently traffic is the lowest under:
                                              >>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for Solaris !
                                              >>
                                              >> As it should be. The driver is bundled and primary support
                                              >> goes through Oracle. There is a single driver image for
                                              >> all flavors of Oracle Solaris. There is no need to ask NVIDIA
                                              >> for support on installing on distro X, among other support issues
                                              >> directed to NVIDIA instead of the distro owner.
                                              >
                                              > ok, then how nvidia will see that there is a demand for Solaris ?

                                              That is one of the hazards (and benefits) of bundling the driver.
                                              The download traffic looks artificially low compared to other
                                              OSes where the driver is not bundled (sometimes on purpose).
                                              OTOH, keeping the support traffic directly to NVIDIA low also
                                              lowers their cost of supporting the platform.

                                              This thread is about presenting substantive business cases
                                              for CUDA on Solaris, so perceived download/support traffic
                                              should not apply.
                                            • pcsol1996
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@...> wrote:

                                                > >> As it should be. The driver is bundled and primary support
                                                > >> goes through Oracle. There is a single driver image for
                                                > >> all flavors of Oracle Solaris. There is no need to ask NVIDIA
                                                > >> for support on installing on distro X, among other support issues
                                                > >> directed to NVIDIA instead of the distro owner.
                                                > >
                                                > > ok, then how nvidia will see that there is a demand for Solaris ?
                                                >
                                                > That is one of the hazards (and benefits) of bundling the driver.
                                                > The download traffic looks artificially low compared to other
                                                > OSes where the driver is not bundled (sometimes on purpose).
                                                > OTOH, keeping the support traffic directly to NVIDIA low also
                                                > lowers their cost of supporting the platform.
                                                >
                                                > This thread is about presenting substantive business cases
                                                > for CUDA on Solaris, so perceived download/support traffic
                                                > should not apply.

                                                OK, per my previous point. Oracle has gotten out of the workstation market completely, why would they be inclined to continue NVIDIA driver support??
                                              • pcsol1996
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                                  --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

                                                  > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@> wrote:

                                                  > > > ok, then how nvidia will see that there is a demand for Solaris ?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > That is one of the hazards (and benefits) of bundling the driver.
                                                  > > The download traffic looks artificially low compared to other
                                                  > > OSes where the driver is not bundled (sometimes on purpose).
                                                  > > OTOH, keeping the support traffic directly to NVIDIA low also
                                                  > > lowers their cost of supporting the platform.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > This thread is about presenting substantive business cases
                                                  > > for CUDA on Solaris, so perceived download/support traffic
                                                  > > should not apply.
                                                  > >
                                                  > OK, per my previous point. Oracle has gotten out of the workstation market completely, why would they be inclined to continue NVIDIA driver support??

                                                  AFAIK all we can do is remind our sales people that we are still out here..which I am going to do. I have little hope for NVIDIA support being around within a year though.
                                                • Alan Coopersmith
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                                    pcsol1996 wrote:
                                                    > Oracle has gotten out of the workstation market completely, why would they be inclined to continue NVIDIA driver support??

                                                    Oracle may no longer be in the business of building & selling its
                                                    own workstations, but is still in the business of supporting Solaris
                                                    on workstations, both previous Sun models and any certified under the
                                                    third-party hardware support programs. Make sure you let your sales
                                                    rep know that your continued renewal of your support contracts for your
                                                    workstations depends on continued support of the nvidia driver.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...> wrote:

                                                      > pcsol1996 wrote:
                                                      > > Oracle has gotten out of the workstation market completely, why would they be inclined to continue NVIDIA driver support??
                                                      >
                                                      > Oracle may no longer be in the business of building & selling its
                                                      > own workstations, but is still in the business of supporting Solaris
                                                      > on workstations, both previous Sun models and any certified under the
                                                      > third-party hardware support programs. Make sure you let your sales
                                                      > rep know that your continued renewal of your support contracts for your
                                                      > workstations depends on continued support of the nvidia driver.
                                                      >
                                                      > --
                                                      > -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
                                                      > Oracle Solaris Platform Engineering: X Window System

                                                      Will do thanks.
                                                    • Stefan Parvu
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010

                                                        > Oracle may no longer be in the business of building & selling its
                                                        > own workstations, but is still in the business of supporting Solaris
                                                        > on workstations, both previous Sun models and any certified under the
                                                        > third-party hardware support programs. Make sure you let your sales
                                                        > rep know that your continued renewal of your support contracts for your
                                                        > workstations depends on continued support of the nvidia driver.

                                                        Good point. I fully agree with Alan here.
                                                        If Oracle does not sell wksts does not mean you should not
                                                        run Solaris ! Dell, Hp or any other vendor might sell you
                                                        a machine where Solaris, thanks running very well.

                                                        What Im a bit confused is how other houses like NVIDIA, ATI
                                                        etc are seeing that there is demand for Solaris :) ? Is Oracle
                                                        gonna call them or the users or how ?

                                                        stefan
                                                      • John Martin
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                                          On 09/ 2/10 03:25 PM, pcsol1996 wrote:

                                                          > Although I understand John's optimism given his position at Oracle, ..

                                                          It's not optimism but an understanding of the
                                                          conditions under which Solaris support originated.
                                                          At the start, the business plan for the original x86
                                                          workstation *expected* near-zero Solaris attach rates
                                                          and it was already known Sun branded workstations had a limited future.
                                                          This should lead one to question your original statement
                                                          that branded workstations was the primary motivation. (And, no,
                                                          I will not disclose the long term business plan in play
                                                          at the time and I still believe it to be valid).

                                                          As for your second statement asserting no new support
                                                          contracts (or renewal of existing contracts), previous
                                                          threads either here or on osol-discuss have already debunked this.
                                                          One of my tasks is to keep the cost of supporting Oracle
                                                          Solaris low (for both companies). If this is done right
                                                          and there is sufficient support revenue coming in, the
                                                          business decisions should take care of themselves (assuming
                                                          decisions at *any* company are purely business).

                                                          For extra credit, as purely a thought exercise take your original
                                                          arguments and apply them to the Apple driver given the current
                                                          product lines. Do you come to the same conclusions?
                                                          Remember you still have a choice to use NVIDIA products with
                                                          Oracle Solaris and commercial customers hold onto equipment
                                                          longer than the consumer market, especially where churn
                                                          is encouraged.
                                                        • pcsol1996
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010

                                                            > As for your second statement asserting no new support
                                                            > contracts (or renewal of existing contracts), previous
                                                            > threads either here or on osol-discuss have already debunked this.

                                                            That as not my point. I am fully aware that you can purchase 3rd party HW support or can buy a Dell or HP and get support. The problem is that with neither Dell, nor HP, nor Oracle selling anything but servers that are certified for Solaris that leaves you to the vagaries of the HCL. I don't see Oracle providing much support for drivers for systems that are not just HCL machines.

                                                            > One of my tasks is to keep the cost of supporting Oracle
                                                            > Solaris low (for both companies). If this is done right
                                                            > and there is sufficient support revenue coming in, the
                                                            > business decisions should take care of themselves (assuming
                                                            > decisions at *any* company are purely business).
                                                            >
                                                            > For extra credit, as purely a thought exercise take your original
                                                            > arguments and apply them to the Apple driver given the current
                                                            > product lines. Do you come to the same conclusions?
                                                            > Remember you still have a choice to use NVIDIA products with
                                                            > Oracle Solaris and commercial customers hold onto equipment
                                                            > longer than the consumer market, especially where churn
                                                            > is encouraged.

                                                            We'll see. Our contracts are up in March 2011 and I'll take Alan's advice and make it clear that we will need continuing NVIDIA support going forward including for new purchases (I don't plan to keep these Ultra 27s forever).

                                                            Thanks for the reply.