Re: [solarisx86] zfs sharing between boot environments

  • Adrian Saul
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
      On 31/07/2010 11:42 PM, Robert Lunnon wrote:

      > I'm not sure how to get this right
      >
      > I have a box with 4 disks
      >
      > Disk 1 - 40 GB IDE Disk with a S10U8 boot environment (UFS)
      > Disk 2/3 - 2 x 300GB ZFS Data Only Pool called zdsk in mirror
      > configuration
      > Disk 4 - 500GB ZFS Pool with OpenSolaris B134 installed
      >
      > I want to share the data pool on disks 2/3 between the Solaris 10 Boot
      > Environment and OpenSolaris such that modifications in one environment
      > are reflected back to the other. Now I can export from Solaris 10 and
      > Import to OpenSolaris but from what I understand this means that the
      > pool disappears from Solaris 10 until I export from OpenSolaris and
      > import back to S10. This is kinda unwieldy. I also understand that this
      > can be done with send and receive but from what I've read, I'm guessing
      > that in this case each environment will use its own snapshot and
      > therefore file changes in one environment won't be reflected in the
      > other (IE The data will diverge between the environments)
      >
      > Can someone suggest the best way to do this

      I would say pick a box (probably the OpenSolaris one) to have the disks,
      and NFS share to the other machine - put a private gigabit link between
      them (or whatever suites the workload) and off you go.

      Your only other alternative is QFS.

    • Mike Riley
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
        On 07/31/10 06:42 AM, Robert Lunnon wrote:
        > I'm not sure how to get this right
        >
        > I have a box with 4 disks
        >
        > Disk 1 - 40 GB IDE Disk with a S10U8 boot environment (UFS)
        > Disk 2/3 - 2 x 300GB ZFS Data Only Pool called zdsk in mirror configuration
        > Disk 4 - 500GB ZFS Pool with OpenSolaris B134 installed
        >
        > I want to share the data pool on disks 2/3 between the Solaris 10 Boot
        > Environment and OpenSolaris such that modifications in one environment
        > are reflected back to the other. Now I can export from Solaris 10 and
        > Import to OpenSolaris but from what I understand this means that the
        > pool disappears from Solaris 10 until I export from OpenSolaris and
        > import back to S10. This is kinda unwieldy. I also understand that this
        > can be done with send and receive but from what I've read, I'm guessing
        > that in this case each environment will use its own snapshot and
        > therefore file changes in one environment won't be reflected in the
        > other (IE The data will diverge between the environments)
        >
        > Can someone suggest the best way to do this
        >
        > Thanks in advance

        I do this on my box. That is the RAIDZ pool I was having problem with earlier due to failed
        disks. The only thing you have to be sure of is that the common pool ZFS version is one that
        your oldest revision of Solaris can handle. In my case with snv_111 I am using revision 14.

        The boot slices of my newer BEs, which are mirrored ZFS volumnes, are not viewable with my older
        revision BE. But the newer BEs can still read the older BEs just fine.

        Mike