Re: [solarisx86] Re: opera web browser

    Message 1 of 56 , May 1, 2010
      Le 01/05/10 14:38, Tony Reeves a écrit :
      > I wonder how many Ultra27's actually run Solaris?
      > Reality is that Solaris is dead duck as a desktop OS. Linux has a miniscule
      > market share for desktops, Solaris is way behind Linux in the desktop
      > segment. Much as I love running Solaris on my laptop, I do wonder at the
      > value of focussing Solaris engineers on WiFi, graphics etc, instead of
      > server specific development.

      with all the past history of systems growing success starting from
      desktop to server, rather than the other way around (eg, AIX, Solaris,
      MS Windows, to cite but a few), I wonder how desktop can still be
      ignored by anybody wanting a long-term success.
      Oracle getting ready to compete with IBM's mainframes is just a rerun of
      what Sun did in the 90's, when they started thinking that they were too
      proud to work on mere desktops.
      But the mainframe market is *already* dead, so they won't go very far
      this way.

      As for a desktop Unix, Apple has shown that yes, there is a vibrant
      market for it. Burying heads in sand and ignoring it by repeating that
      Linux, Linux, Linux still doesn't do it is ignoring that *they* managed
      it very successfully, even on cell phones.

      And well, even if Linux still doesn't have a great market share
      percentage - at least the overall numbers are steadily increasing
      AFAICT, rather than decreasing.

      / Leader de Projet & Communauté | I'm currently on leave from
      \ G11N http://fr.opensolaris.org | Bull Services http://www.bull.com
      / FOSUG http://guses.org |
      Message 56 of 56 , May 4, 2010
        In message <201004302329.o3UNTNG3025676@...>, John D Groenveld wr
        ites:
        >Bummer. I was looking forward to 10.50 for Solaris.

        Cade Metz on Solaris support:
        <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/04/opera_10_dot_5_linux_beta/>
        | Whither Solaris support? It's not coming. "In order to ensure a
        | consistently high quality browser across our most popular desktop
        | platforms we have reluctantly decided to drop support for
        | Solaris," reads a post from Ruari Odegaard.

        >BTW any word yet whether Larry Ellison and company will continue
        >Scott McNealy and company's funding of development of a video
        >format which won't require a purchase of Codeina nor a download
        >of Adobe's plug-in?

        And on HTML5 video: