Re: [solarisx86] Opensolaris and 4K sector hard disks (fdisk,disklabel,gpt etc)

  • Albert Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
      On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:49:29 -0800, Mike Riley <lvskiprof@...> wrote:
      > Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
      > > Hello.
      > >
      > > A friend of mine who uses linux has aqcuired a western digital caviar
      > green
      > > hard disk of the EARS series, which utilizes the "advanced format"
      > > technology
      > > (i.e., it uses physical sectors of 4096 bytes). Since it is still a
      > > transition
      > > period the disk firmware translates these 4096B sectors to 8 512B
      > ones, so
      > > it appears to OSes that the disk has 512B sectors.
      > >
      > > Most filesystems use at least 4K blocks so they do not pose a
      problem,
      > > but the partitioning does. Since the usual fake geometry is H255,S63
      > > and DOS required the first head not to be used, the first partition
      > > usually starts at sector 63. When one tries to write the first 4K
      > block
      > > he needs to write sectors 63-70. Internally the disk will read
      > Physical
      > > sector 7 (logical sectors 56-63) and 8 (logical sectors 64-71),
      modify
      > > the necessary sectors and write the 2 physical sectors again. So, if
      > > the partition is not correctly aligned, the disk is much slower.
      > > (SSDs have the same problem but usually with 128K alignment).
      > >
      > > Disks haven't used CHS for years, but most partitioning tools still
      > do.
      > > The linux fdisk for example (part of the util-linux-ng project)
      > permits
      > > using sectors but complained if the partition didn't start/end on a
      > cylinder
      > > boundary which is stupid. cfdisk didn't even run in such a case.
      > > Fortunately, in the last two months fdisk was updated and now aligns
      > > partitions to 1MB boundary so it is correctly aligned.
      > >
      > > In older fdisk versions a solution is to manually specify H224 and
      S56
      > > so partitions can be created on cylinder boundaries and still be
      > correctly
      > > aligned. My friend uses GPT partitioning scheme which doesn't use
      > obsolete
      > > CHS and you can create any partition on any sector number you want.
      > >
      > > My friend asked me what is the status of OpenSolaris on this thing.
      We
      > plan
      > > to install a recent OpenSolaris version on this disk to test, but i
      > thought
      > > to ask here. If i remember correctly, Solaris (and *BSD) used to
      > create
      > > a single primary "slice" (partition) and inside that they used a
      > Solaris
      > > (or BSD) disklabel defining the normal partitions.
      > > OpenSolaris uses ZFS out of the box, but does it still use a Solaris
      > > disklabel
      > > or does it put ZFS directly on the primary partition ? If yes, then
      > can the
      > > installer create this partition on 1MB boundary or any other topology
      > ?
      > >
      > > FreeBSD (from version 8.0) can use GPT partitioning scheme with ZFS
      > and
      > > boot from it
      > > (if someone doesn't dualboot Windows ofcourse since Windows can't
      boot

      > > from GPT).
      > >
      > > Can OpenSolaris use GPT partioning scheme ?
      >
      > Back when I was with Sun there was talk of a project to support these
      > larger sector sizes directly. The UFS file system certainly allows for
      > sector sizes other than 512, but the utilities and other areas needed
      >
      > be modified so such disks could be recognized so they would use their
      > default size.
      >
      > There was also a project to get rid of the dependency on CHS, but I
      > don't
      > know if it was ever completed. The issue with that was that it touched
      > so
      > many areas involving disk I/O and file systems that any change there
      > would
      > require extensive testing. I am not sure if that was ever done. The
      > current CHS dependency in sd, along with the use of signed integer
      > values,
      > cause lots of problems dealing with larger disk volumes.
      >
      > Mike

      ZFS always used a GPT ('format -e' calls it an "EFI label") if you passed
      a whole disk to the 'zpool' commands. However, because of assumptions in
      the boot code Solaris still requires a VTOC label on the boot disk.

      PSARC 2008/769 was the initial case to implement variable sector sizes and
      integrated in snv_118. It splits the changes into two phases and includes
      the first phase.
      (From http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2008/769/final_spec.txt -
      read this if you want the gory details):
      Phase I
      > Correctly label on large sector size disk.
      > Can do I/O (raw & block).
      > ZFS support as non root disk.

      Phase II (UFS and boot support) is left for a later ARC case.

      -Albert
    • TARIQ NAWAZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
        hi everyone,

        i need 32-bit SUN cluster 3.2 module for testing purpose. If anyone of you knows where i can get it or have so please share with me. I am searching since last week but still i am unable to get it.

        I am using x86 machine with 32-bit OS supported on it and i have to test it on VMware.

        Regards,
        Tariq Nawaz,

        System Support Engineer (SUN)

      • Matthias Pfützner
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          Tariq,

          these modules were never officially available outside Sun (we once handed them out during a training years ago), so asking here is leading nowhere... And: even if, these are specific modules for the respective Cluster version, and the actual solaris cluster update is incompatible witht those old modules....

          So, as I stated in my private email to you a couple days ago: for training, try to use opensolaris 2009.06 plus the open-ha-cluster modules... Same commands, same feel...

          Hope, this helps!

          Matthias

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
            Thanx again for useful information.