Re: [solarisx86] ZFS and Oracle RAC

  • Adrian Saul
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      No - ZFS is not multi node aware yet. I don't know much about it but
      there is a product called "lustre" which I think was in early stages of
      supporting ZFS as a global filesystem, so you might want to look at that.

      Perhaps you could look at sharing the pool via NFS or as iSCSI volumes
      as well.

      Phillip Bruce wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
      > implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
      > The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
      > /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
      > should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.
      >
      > I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
      > between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
      > filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
      > any way I can keep backup mounted on both
      > nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
      > think the answer will be no because zfs is not
      > a global filesystem.
      >
      > But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
      > nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
      > the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
      > and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
      > following:
      >
      > /backup/node1
      > /backupnode5
      >
      > The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.
      >
      > So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
      > node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
      > on the nodes respectively?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Phillip

    • Ryan Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        Ditto to what Adian said.

        Also, you didn't mention the interconnects involved, which could bring up
        different answers. Since this is backups, I'd highly recommend you just use
        NFS from the ZFS filesystem, its the most practical and simple. If we were
        talking about the type of storage for database data, it would be a different
        discussion; but even then I'd highly recommend NFS, but paired with LACP
        link aggregation (using dladm).

        On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Adrian Saul <asaul@...> wrote:

        > No - ZFS is not multi node aware yet. I don't know much about it but
        > there is a product called "lustre" which I think was in early stages of
        > supporting ZFS as a global filesystem, so you might want to look at that.
        >
        > Perhaps you could look at sharing the pool via NFS or as iSCSI volumes
        > as well.
        >

        > Phillip Bruce wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
        > > implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
        > > The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
        > > /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
        > > should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.
        > >
        > > I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
        > > between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
        > > filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
        > > any way I can keep backup mounted on both
        > > nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
        > > think the answer will be no because zfs is not
        > > a global filesystem.
        > >
        > > But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
        > > nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
        > > the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
        > > and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
        > > following:
        > >
        > > /backup/node1
        > > /backupnode5
        > >
        > > The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.
        > >
        > > So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
        > > node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
        > > on the nodes respectively?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Phillip

        Ryan C. Anderson
        ryan.c.anderson@...

      • John Martinez
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
          Phillip,

          You are better off using OCFS or bite the bullet and do Veritas SFRAC (CFS+VCS) for this functionality.

          -john

          On Jan 31, 2010, at 3:18 PM, Phillip Bruce wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
          > implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
          > The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
          > /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
          > should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.
          >
          > I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
          > between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
          > filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
          > any way I can keep backup mounted on both
          > nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
          > think the answer will be no because zfs is not
          > a global filesystem.
          >
          > But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
          > nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
          > the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
          > and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
          > following:
          >
          > /backup/node1
          > /backupnode5
          >
          > The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.
          >
          > So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
          > node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
          > on the nodes respectively?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Phillip
        • Phillip Bruce
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
            John,

            I wonder now if fstyp command will even recognized OCFS?

            Just to answer those that already responded, i thank those that have.

            All luns are FC SAN infact, HDS storage arrays USPV more specifically is
            being used.
            I have heard of OCFS and Lustre. But have not used either. Currently we
            are also using
            Oracle ASM which is neat so far and it uses RAW disks.

            I'll have to read up on OCFS. So at this point I'll have to use the
            following sequence:

            1. deport /backup from node 5
            2. import /backup to node 1
            3 when RMAN is complete the deport /backup on node 1
            4. then import to node 5 then have RMAN recover data to node5.

            You see node 5 is one of the standby nodes in the 2nd cluster.
            the idea is to restore data from one of the node in the first cluster.

            The 2nd cluster from my understanding is a standby cluster.
            It is also a development environment as well.

            That the reason for my asking. As for the interconnects, it all GigE.
            Each node has 2 nic cards and using using IPMP.

            I'll agree that NFS makes a good way of sharing storage across nodes in
            cluster. But so does using GFS of some kind.
            That is why I wasn't sure if ZFS was capable of that. Yet! :)

            Also we are using shadow image to copy the data to backups.

            Phillip