ZFS and Oracle RAC

  • Phillip Bruce
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2010
      Hi,

      I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
      implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
      The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
      /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
      should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.

      I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
      between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
      filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
      any way I can keep backup mounted on both
      nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
      think the answer will be no because zfs is not
      a global filesystem.

      But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
      nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
      the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
      and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
      following:

      /backup/node1
      /backupnode5

      The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.

      So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
      node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
      on the nodes respectively?

      Thanks,

      Phillip
    • Adrian Saul
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        No - ZFS is not multi node aware yet. I don't know much about it but
        there is a product called "lustre" which I think was in early stages of
        supporting ZFS as a global filesystem, so you might want to look at that.

        Perhaps you could look at sharing the pool via NFS or as iSCSI volumes
        as well.

        Phillip Bruce wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
        > implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
        > The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
        > /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
        > should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.
        >
        > I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
        > between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
        > filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
        > any way I can keep backup mounted on both
        > nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
        > think the answer will be no because zfs is not
        > a global filesystem.
        >
        > But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
        > nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
        > the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
        > and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
        > following:
        >
        > /backup/node1
        > /backupnode5
        >
        > The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.
        >
        > So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
        > node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
        > on the nodes respectively?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Phillip

      • Ryan Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
          Ditto to what Adian said.

          Also, you didn't mention the interconnects involved, which could bring up
          different answers. Since this is backups, I'd highly recommend you just use
          NFS from the ZFS filesystem, its the most practical and simple. If we were
          talking about the type of storage for database data, it would be a different
          discussion; but even then I'd highly recommend NFS, but paired with LACP
          link aggregation (using dladm).

          On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Adrian Saul <asaul@...> wrote:

          > No - ZFS is not multi node aware yet. I don't know much about it but
          > there is a product called "lustre" which I think was in early stages of
          > supporting ZFS as a global filesystem, so you might want to look at that.
          >
          > Perhaps you could look at sharing the pool via NFS or as iSCSI volumes
          > as well.
          >

          > Phillip Bruce wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
          > > implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
          > > The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
          > > /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
          > > should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.
          > >
          > > I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
          > > between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
          > > filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
          > > any way I can keep backup mounted on both
          > > nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
          > > think the answer will be no because zfs is not
          > > a global filesystem.
          > >
          > > But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
          > > nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
          > > the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
          > > and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
          > > following:
          > >
          > > /backup/node1
          > > /backupnode5
          > >
          > > The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.
          > >
          > > So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
          > > node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
          > > on the nodes respectively?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Phillip

          Ryan C. Anderson
          ryan.c.anderson@...

        • John Martinez
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
            Phillip,

            You are better off using OCFS or bite the bullet and do Veritas SFRAC (CFS+VCS) for this functionality.

            -john

            On Jan 31, 2010, at 3:18 PM, Phillip Bruce wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am working in a environment that involves Oracle RAC. We are
            > implementing 2 clusters with 4 node each.
            > The plan is to do an RMAN to ZFS filesystem labeled /backup . The
            > /backup filesystem is 12 TB which
            > should be sufficient between the 2 clusters.
            >
            > I believe in practice that your supposed to deport and import zpools
            > between hosts. The plan is to mount /backup ZFS
            > filesystem only on node 1 in cluster 1 and node 5 in cluster 2. Is there
            > any way I can keep backup mounted on both
            > nodes simultaneously without having to deport and import all the time. I
            > think the answer will be no because zfs is not
            > a global filesystem.
            >
            > But I've asked the DBA's if the ORACLE SID will be different on both
            > nodes. They said yes and that I like to setup
            > the structure so backups to node 1 is done in one directory structure
            > and node 5 in another. So in effect you have the
            > following:
            >
            > /backup/node1
            > /backupnode5
            >
            > The drives on the /backup filesystem is all SATA drives.
            >
            > So again the basic question can I maintain /backup filesystem on both
            > node simutaneously? Or will I have to deport and import
            > on the nodes respectively?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Phillip
          • Phillip Bruce
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              John,

              I wonder now if fstyp command will even recognized OCFS?

              Just to answer those that already responded, i thank those that have.

              All luns are FC SAN infact, HDS storage arrays USPV more specifically is
              being used.
              I have heard of OCFS and Lustre. But have not used either. Currently we
              are also using
              Oracle ASM which is neat so far and it uses RAW disks.

              I'll have to read up on OCFS. So at this point I'll have to use the
              following sequence:

              1. deport /backup from node 5
              2. import /backup to node 1
              3 when RMAN is complete the deport /backup on node 1
              4. then import to node 5 then have RMAN recover data to node5.

              You see node 5 is one of the standby nodes in the 2nd cluster.
              the idea is to restore data from one of the node in the first cluster.

              The 2nd cluster from my understanding is a standby cluster.
              It is also a development environment as well.

              That the reason for my asking. As for the interconnects, it all GigE.
              Each node has 2 nic cards and using using IPMP.

              I'll agree that NFS makes a good way of sharing storage across nodes in
              cluster. But so does using GFS of some kind.
              That is why I wasn't sure if ZFS was capable of that. Yet! :)

              Also we are using shadow image to copy the data to backups.

              Phillip