Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

bge and ncrs, opensolaris

Expand Messages
  • Paul Floyd
    Hi I m in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400, is on the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don t se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I ve installed sxce
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi

      I'm in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400, is on
      the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don't se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I've
      installed sxce 125. I have two driver problems. I've moved a scsi hba +
      2 disks from the old PC. OpenSolaris has no 64bit ncrs driver. Does
      anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline? I suppose the osol
      storage mailing list would be more approprate.

      Next, the bge NIC. It's a broadcom netxtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet.
      I've tried both bge (adding the pci id) and the S10 bcme driver from the
      Broadcom web site. Both drivers give a failed to attach message. The HCL
      entry mentions using bcme, not bge. Any ideas for diagnosing/fixing this
      problem? Plan B is to transfer the cheap&nasty rtl 8139 nic from the old PC.

      A+
      Paul
      --
      Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
    • John D Groenveld
      ... $ cat /etc/release Solaris Express Community Edition snv_125 X86 Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        In message <4AED6A85.404@...>, Paul Floyd writes:
        >I'm in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400, is on
        >the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don't se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I've
        >installed sxce 125. I have two driver problems. I've moved a scsi hba +
        >2 disks from the old PC. OpenSolaris has no 64bit ncrs driver. Does
        >anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline? I suppose the osol

        $ cat /etc/release
        Solaris Express Community Edition snv_125 X86
        Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
        Use is subject to license terms.
        Assembled 05 October 2009

        $ file /kernel/drv/amd64/glm
        /kernel/drv/amd64/glm: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable AMD64 Version 1 [SSE CMOV]

        $ man glm
        DESCRIPTION
        The glm Host Bus Adapter driver is a SCSA compliant nexus
        driver that supports the LSI 53c810, LSI 53c875, LSI
        53c876, LSI 53C896 and LSI 53C1010 SCSI chips


        Don't know if it works.

        John
        groenveld@...
      • Paul Floyd
        ... Hi The hba is a Tekram DC-390U2W, LSI 53C895 based. I might be flogging a dead horse, and it d be a lot simpler to get a sata disk or two. A+ Paul -- Paul
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          > $ cat /etc/release
          > Solaris Express Community Edition snv_125 X86
          > Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
          > Use is subject to license terms.
          > Assembled 05 October 2009
          >
          > $ file /kernel/drv/amd64/glm
          > /kernel/drv/amd64/glm: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable AMD64 Version 1 [SSE CMOV]
          >
          > $ man glm
          > DESCRIPTION
          > The glm Host Bus Adapter driver is a SCSA compliant nexus
          > driver that supports the LSI 53c810, LSI 53c875, LSI
          > 53c876, LSI 53C896 and LSI 53C1010 SCSI chips
          >
          > Don't know if it works.

          Hi

          The hba is a Tekram DC-390U2W, LSI 53C895 based. I might be flogging a
          dead horse, and it'd be a lot simpler to get a sata disk or two.

          A+
          Paul
          --
          Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr
        • Ian Collins
          ... It will! -- Ian.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Paul Floyd wrote:
            >> $ cat /etc/release
            >> Solaris Express Community Edition snv_125 X86
            >> Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
            >> Use is subject to license terms.
            >> Assembled 05 October 2009
            >>
            >> $ file /kernel/drv/amd64/glm
            >> /kernel/drv/amd64/glm: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable AMD64 Version 1 [SSE CMOV]
            >>
            >> $ man glm
            >> DESCRIPTION
            >> The glm Host Bus Adapter driver is a SCSA compliant nexus
            >> driver that supports the LSI 53c810, LSI 53c875, LSI
            >> 53c876, LSI 53C896 and LSI 53C1010 SCSI chips
            >>
            >> Don't know if it works.
            >>
            >
            > Hi
            >
            > The hba is a Tekram DC-390U2W, LSI 53C895 based. I might be flogging a
            > dead horse, and it'd be a lot simpler to get a sata disk or two.
            >
            >
            It will!

            --
            Ian.
          • David.Comay@Sun.COM
            ... Currently that driver isn t part of the primary OpenSolaris package repository as it isn t redistributable. For the upcoming release, we re looking into
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              > I'm in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400, is on
              > the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don't se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I've
              > installed sxce 125. I have two driver problems. I've moved a scsi hba +
              > 2 disks from the old PC. OpenSolaris has no 64bit ncrs driver. Does
              > anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline? I suppose the osol
              > storage mailing list would be more approprate.

              Currently that driver isn't part of the primary OpenSolaris package
              repository as it isn't redistributable. For the upcoming release,
              we're looking into making the remaining drivers that are in SXCE
              available via IPS through the /extra repository.

              > Next, the bge NIC. It's a broadcom netxtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet.
              > I've tried both bge (adding the pci id) and the S10 bcme driver from the
              > Broadcom web site. Both drivers give a failed to attach message. The HCL
              > entry mentions using bcme, not bge. Any ideas for diagnosing/fixing this
              > problem? Plan B is to transfer the cheap&nasty rtl 8139 nic from the old PC.

              That likely is an easier path to resolution although we certainly
              welcome a bug filed against http://bugs.opensolaris.org against the bge
              driver.
            • palowoda
              ... If the ncrs is the boot controller how is the driver going to be installed from the /extra repository during the install phase?
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, David.Comay@... wrote:
                >
                > > I'm in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400, is on
                > > the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don't se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I've
                > > installed sxce 125. I have two driver problems. I've moved a scsi hba +
                > > 2 disks from the old PC. OpenSolaris has no 64bit ncrs driver. Does
                > > anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline? I suppose the osol
                > > storage mailing list would be more approprate.
                >
                > Currently that driver isn't part of the primary OpenSolaris package
                > repository as it isn't redistributable. For the upcoming release,
                > we're looking into making the remaining drivers that are in SXCE
                > available via IPS through the /extra repository.
                >
                If the ncrs is the boot controller how is the driver going to be installed
                from the /extra repository during the install phase?

                ---Bob
              • Paul Floyd
                ... The PC has 2 sata disks plus the 2 parallel scsi disks in it. I ve installed SXCE 125 on the 1st sata disk, and the scsi disks have (amongst many other
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 2 Nov 2009, at 04:00, palowoda wrote:

                  >
                  >
                  > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, David.Comay@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I'm in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400,
                  >>> is on
                  >>> the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don't se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I've
                  >>> installed sxce 125. I have two driver problems. I've moved a scsi
                  >>> hba +
                  >>> 2 disks from the old PC. OpenSolaris has no 64bit ncrs driver. Does
                  >>> anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline? I suppose the osol
                  >>> storage mailing list would be more approprate.
                  >>
                  >> Currently that driver isn't part of the primary OpenSolaris package
                  >> repository as it isn't redistributable. For the upcoming release,
                  >> we're looking into making the remaining drivers that are in SXCE
                  >> available via IPS through the /extra repository.
                  >>
                  > If the ncrs is the boot controller how is the driver going to be
                  > installed
                  > from the /extra repository during the install phase?

                  The PC has 2 sata disks plus the 2 parallel scsi disks in it. I've
                  installed SXCE 125 on the 1st sata disk, and the scsi disks have
                  (amongst many other things - the old PC was very multiboot) a ZFS data
                  partition and a UFS partition with SXCE 120 or thereabouts on it.

                  A+
                  Paul
                • palowoda
                  ... I suppose there might be a way to make the scsi disks bootable at at later date maybe for performance issues but if it worth it with the ncrs driver is up
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Paul Floyd <paulf@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    > On 2 Nov 2009, at 04:00, palowoda wrote:
                    >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, David.Comay@ wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >>> I'm in the process of moving to a new PC. The new PC, an HP z400,
                    > >>> is on
                    > >>> the Solaris 10 HCL, but I don't se it on the OpenSolaris HCL. I've
                    > >>> installed sxce 125. I have two driver problems. I've moved a scsi
                    > >>> hba +
                    > >>> 2 disks from the old PC. OpenSolaris has no 64bit ncrs driver. Does
                    > >>> anyone know if such a thing is in the pipeline? I suppose the osol
                    > >>> storage mailing list would be more approprate.
                    > >>
                    > >> Currently that driver isn't part of the primary OpenSolaris package
                    > >> repository as it isn't redistributable. For the upcoming release,
                    > >> we're looking into making the remaining drivers that are in SXCE
                    > >> available via IPS through the /extra repository.
                    > >>
                    > > If the ncrs is the boot controller how is the driver going to be
                    > > installed
                    > > from the /extra repository during the install phase?
                    >
                    > The PC has 2 sata disks plus the 2 parallel scsi disks in it. I've
                    > installed SXCE 125 on the 1st sata disk, and the scsi disks have
                    > (amongst many other things - the old PC was very multiboot) a ZFS data
                    > partition and a UFS partition with SXCE 120 or thereabouts on it.
                    >

                    I suppose there might be a way to make the scsi disks bootable at at later date maybe for performance issues but if it worth it with the ncrs driver is up in the air. I suspect some more of these drivers like the perc driver will also come into the /extra repo in the future. Just a guess. One thing that would be nice if the base opensolaris install identifies any closed source drivers that is detected during install time and notifies the installer that the driver is available. Maybe a easy way to see what is available as /extras without configuring every system installed to see what is available.

                    ---Bob
                  • John D Groenveld
                    ... I use James C Liu and Brian Dowdy s instructions for adding drivers to a Solaris boot install image.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      In message <hcli0f+4dem@...>, "palowoda" writes:
                      > If the ncrs is the boot controller how is the driver going to be installed
                      >from the /extra repository during the install phase?

                      I use James C Liu and Brian Dowdy's instructions for adding drivers
                      to a Solaris boot install image.
                      <URL:http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/device_driver_install.html>

                      Can something similar be done with Indiana's network boot image?
                      I have some legacy machines which use symhisl(7D), lsimega(7D) and
                      their Adaptec counterparts which may still have some life left in
                      them.

                      John
                      groenveld@...
                    • Dave Miner
                      ... Right now, you can do so by building your own image using the Distro Constructor. Docs are at
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        John D Groenveld wrote:
                        > In message <hcli0f+4dem@...>, "palowoda" writes:
                        >> If the ncrs is the boot controller how is the driver going to be installed
                        >>from the /extra repository during the install phase?
                        >
                        > I use James C Liu and Brian Dowdy's instructions for adding drivers
                        > to a Solaris boot install image.
                        > <URL:http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/device_driver_install.html>
                        >
                        > Can something similar be done with Indiana's network boot image?
                        > I have some legacy machines which use symhisl(7D), lsimega(7D) and
                        > their Adaptec counterparts which may still have some life left in
                        > them.
                        >

                        Right now, you can do so by building your own image using the Distro
                        Constructor. Docs are at
                        http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/2009.06/DistroConst/index.html

                        We need to add examples for this specific task and perhaps provide a
                        more direct route, but I'd be happy to answer questions for someone
                        trying to figure it out.

                        We're also adding driver update capability to the installation
                        environments; info on the project, which is nearing completion, is at

                        http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+caiman/Driver_Update

                        Dave
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.