Re: [solarisx86] Re: What I'd like to see done with Solaris x64 by Oracle if they keep it..

  • Apostolos Syropoulos
    Message 1 of 82 , Oct 1, 2009
      Dave Johnson: wrote
      > In technology, you follow and you die. Lead.
      >
      >I'm with pcsol1996 on all 3 points.

      In which way you lead? Having a closed source
      OS that is used by a handful of people is almost
      useless. ZFS became popular because it is an
      OpenSource project and so it is available under
      OpenBSD and Linux (through FUSE) and
      it will become the da facto file system of MacOS.
      If it were a close source thing, no one would care about
      it! "Protectionism" is not the way to go.

      A.S.

    • pcsol1996
      Message 82 of 82 , Oct 5, 2009
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <jbt.oldemail@...> wrote:

        > is a laugh. Issues in failsafe mode, live upgrade, and the regular
        > comments from the Sun mailing list peanut gallery saying "you shouldn't
        > be using a separate /var file system" is clear indication of the
        > level of acceptance for it inside of Sun.
        >

        > I have to talk to support. More than once I have had to get moved to another
        > support engineer who isn't doing his best to be a road block. And it's
        > clear the from the mailing list that they are singing a different tune than
        > what you suggest will happen.

        The arrogance is rather alarming. Much like the recent posts here that indicate AI developers refuse to listen to input from real world sys-admins.

        > I've *never* had to delete and recreate a UFS file system to recover
        > lost space. In 20 years, never.

        Well I can't go back 20 years in UNIX, but in 11 years..never.