Color laser printer?

  • Scott Budge
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 8:45 AM
      I have been looking for a good networked color laser printer for
      Opensolaris. I was given a used HP 2600n printer, but I found out that
      it is a host-based printer and there isn't a driver for it in the
      selection of printers in the Opensolaris printer manager. The HP 2605n
      driver won't work because the 2605n *has* a printer-based engine.

      Does anyone have a recommendation for a good color laser printer that
      works "out of the box" with Opensolaris? I want a cheap, good-quality
      printer for small office use in the $250 - $800 range.

      Thanks,

      Scott

      --
      Scott Budge <scott.budge@...>
      Utah State University

    • Paul Gress
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 10:02 AM
        Scott Budge wrote:
        > I have been looking for a good networked color laser printer for
        > Opensolaris. I was given a used HP 2600n printer, but I found out that
        > it is a host-based printer and there isn't a driver for it in the
        > selection of printers in the Opensolaris printer manager. The HP 2605n
        > driver won't work because the 2605n *has* a printer-based engine.
        >
        > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good color laser printer that
        > works "out of the box" with Opensolaris? I want a cheap, good-quality
        > printer for small office use in the $250 - $800 range.

        I've been using the Dell 3115cn (Multifunction) and very happy with it.
        I have it set up on the network (ethernet). It scans & prints (through
        the ethernet port, works well for me) and copies and faxes for under
        $700. They had a model without the mulitfunction, model 3110cn but that
        is gone now.

        So, it looks like Dell replaced the 3110 with 3130cn. What makes this
        all good is it has Adobe PS3 and has Solaris listed for compatibility.

        3130cn:

        http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-0485

        3115cn:

        http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=222-6548

        So I suggest take a look at Dell.

        Paul
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 1:35 PM
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Scott Budge <scott.budge@...> wrote:

          > I have been looking for a good networked color laser printer for
          > Opensolaris. I was given a used HP 2600n printer, but I found out that
          > it is a host-based printer and there isn't a driver for it in the
          > selection of printers in the Opensolaris printer manager. The HP 2605n
          > driver won't work because the 2605n *has* a printer-based engine.
          >
          > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good color laser printer that
          > works "out of the box" with Opensolaris? I want a cheap, good-quality
          > printer for small office use in the $250 - $800 range.

          I use a Brother 2700CN color laser on my network. Even though it's discontinued
          for the higher resolution models say the Brother HL-4070CDW or something
          similar I couldn't be happier with all the nice interfaces, usb, parallel, and ethernet
          interfaces into the Brother color lasers. Works well with network solaris, windows and
          linux. The web based interfaces on Brother color lasers is a Godsend. I can configure
          everything on the net to the webserver on the printer. All the solaris (SXCE,opensolaris)
          goes PCL to the printer via bsd network printing. Winders gets a windows parallel port
          attached to the printer. Linux cups.

          I don't do that much printing, heck I'm lucky if I did 1k pages on it. My SO and daughter
          abuse the hell out of it, more like 25k pages of print. I just make them pay for the cartridges now. :)