Are patches free for OpenSolaris?

  • brown wrap
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      I purchased a copy of the Solaris x86 media. Once I got it installed, I decided to patch it. When I went to Sun they wanted a Service Number. Are patches free on OpenSolaris?

      greg

    • Tim Evans
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        brown wrap wrote:

        > I purchased a copy of the Solaris x86 media. Once I got it installed, I
        > decided to patch it. When I went to Sun they wanted a Service Number. Are
        > patches free on OpenSolaris?

        You use the package manager for upgrades.

        --
        Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
        UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
          Tim Evans wrote:

          > brown wrap wrote:
          >

          > > I purchased a copy of the Solaris x86 media. Once I got it installed, I
          > > decided to patch it. When I went to Sun they wanted a Service Number. Are
          > > patches free on OpenSolaris?
          >
          > You use the package manager for upgrades.

          There are 3 main package repositories to consider here -
          http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release, http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev and
          https://pkg.sun.com/opensolaris/support.

          Access to the first 2 is free. The release repo updates every major
          release - 2008.05, 2008.11, 2009.06, etc. The dev repository usually
          updates the entire OS every two weeks.

          For me that (ie dev) is good enough, but if you want interim patches to
          things from the release repo you need the third repo above, which
          requires a paid support agreement. This got announced/discussed at
          Community One yesterday, I believe.

          Cheers,

          Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
            In message <784482.56955.qm@...>, brown wrap writes:
            >I purchased a copy of the Solaris x86 media. Once I got it installed, I decide
            >d to patch it. When I went to Sun they wanted a Service Number. Are patches fr
            >ee on OpenSolaris?

            I use Martin Paul's PCA to patch Solaris 10 and previous versions.
            You'll need to create Sun Online Account to obtain the free
            recommended and security patches.
            <URL:http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/usage.html>

            Happy hacking,