Re: [solarisx86] Re: I finally got Solaris 10 installed, but no network

  • Robert Lunnon
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2009
      brown wrap wrote:
      > This is what I've tried so far. On the net I found some additional info and did this:
      > prtconf -vp
      > >From the output I found the interface card:
      > pci8086.1050
      >

      > Along with some other info indicating it was the network card. I then executed:
      > update_drv -a -i '"pci8086.1050"' iprb
      >
      > iprb being the interface itself. From that I executed:
      > ifconfig -a plumb
      > ifconfig -a
      >
      > and finally saw the interface. I then executed:
      > ifconfig iprb0 dhcp start
      >
      > That brought up the network and then using the route command was able to get 'outside'. Things don't seemed to be retainted though. When I reboot, I lose it all.

      You need to create a file /etc/hostname.<interface> containing the
      interfaces hostname and /etc/dhcp.<interface>

      eg for iprb0, as root

      cat "HostName" > /etc/hostname.iprb0

      touch /etc/dhcp.iprb0

      (Modify as required)

      Bob
    • hank
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lunnon <bobl@...> wrote:

        > brown wrap wrote:
        > > This is what I've tried so far. On the net I found some additional info and did this:
        > > prtconf -vp
        > > >From the output I found the interface card:
        > > pci8086.1050
        > >

        > > Along with some other info indicating it was the network card. I then executed:
        > > update_drv -a -i '"pci8086.1050"' iprb
        > >
        > > iprb being the interface itself. From that I executed:
        > > ifconfig -a plumb
        > > ifconfig -a
        > >
        > > and finally saw the interface. I then executed:
        > > ifconfig iprb0 dhcp start
        > >
        > > That brought up the network and then using the route command was able to get 'outside'. Things don't seemed to be retainted though. When I reboot, I lose it all.
        > >

        > You need to create a file /etc/hostname.<interface> containing the
        > interfaces hostname and /etc/dhcp.<interface>
        >
        > eg for iprb0, as root
        >
        > cat "HostName" > /etc/hostname.iprb0
        >
        > touch /etc/dhcp.iprb0
        >

        > (Modify as required)
        >
        > Bob

        Hi, I had a similar problem with a sis900 ethernet card (would not hold the connection to the router). Turned out that the driver was not correct and had to be updated to one compatible with opensolaris.
        Hank