Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [solarisx86] Re: OpenSolaris Patches/Updates

Expand Messages
  • Dennis Keane
    ... So what s the difference between Update manager and Package Manager... It looks like the Update Manager creates new BE s as well... Is one being phased out
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      maybird1776 wrote:
      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, ThB <lists@...> wrote:
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> What about Patches and Updates for OpenSolaris 2008.11 ? Are there no patches available ? The update and package managers do not show any available updates or updated packages. (And do not tell me that OS does not have any security issues)
      >>
      >> Do I need a support contract to get the security patches/updates ? Or do I have to wait for the next OpenSolaris release ? If it's the latter then IMHO OpenSolaris is not really qualified for daily/production usage and therefore is not a Solaris 10 replacement and is still light-years away of any Linux distribution.
      >>
      >> regards
      >> Thomas
      >>
      >
      > You can update it through the pkg-manager:
      > http://webcast-west.sun.com/interactive/09B01790/index.html
      >
      > ~ Ken
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Please check the Links page before posting:
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solarisx86/links
      > Post message: solarisx86@yahoogroups.com
      > UNSUBSCRIBE: solarisx86-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >

      So what's the difference between Update manager and Package Manager...
      It looks like the Update Manager creates new BE's as well...

      Is one being phased out in favor of the other?

      Thanks,
      Dennis
    • jadyid4me
      Hello, ... Thanks for this link, it s very infomative but does not answer my question. The question is: Where do I get the patches or updates ? Example firefox
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Hello,

        > You can update it through the pkg-manager:
        > http://webcast-west.sun.com/interactive/09B01790/index.html

        Thanks for this link, it's very infomative but does not answer
        my question.

        The question is: Where do I get the patches or updates ?

        Example firefox on 2008.11 is still 3.0.4 and this version is
        known as insecure, but the package manager does not show any
        available updates. And it's not only firefox, I do not see _any_
        updated package.

        In the same time my Solaris 10 x86 installation got tons of security
        related patches which is what I also expect for OpenSolaris.

        I cannot believe that there are no package updates available for
        OpenSolaris 2008.11.

        regards
        Thomas
      • maybird1776
        ... The firefox 3.0.7 update for OpenSolaris is at:
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "jadyid4me" <lists@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hello,
          >
          > > You can update it through the pkg-manager:
          > > http://webcast-west.sun.com/interactive/09B01790/index.html
          >
          > Thanks for this link, it's very infomative but does not answer
          > my question.
          >
          > The question is: Where do I get the patches or updates ?
          >
          > Example firefox on 2008.11 is still 3.0.4 and this version is
          > known as insecure, but the package manager does not show any
          > available updates. And it's not only firefox, I do not see _any_
          > updated package.
          >
          > In the same time my Solaris 10 x86 installation got tons of security
          > related patches which is what I also expect for OpenSolaris.
          >
          > I cannot believe that there are no package updates available for
          > OpenSolaris 2008.11.
          >
          > regards
          > Thomas
          >

          The firefox 3.0.7 update for OpenSolaris is at:
          ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.0.7/contrib/solaris_pkgadd/firefox-3.0.7.en-US.opensolaris-i386-pkg.bz2

          The pkg.opensolaris.org (IPS) repository is the official central place to get updates for OpenSolaris. You can use the pkg.opensolaris.org/dev site to get the latest development updates (now at OS2009.06-b108 branch release) in which if you search for SUNWfirefox, you will see Firefox v3.1b2 available for download (URL: http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/info/0/SUNWfirefox%400.5.11%2C5.11-0.108%3A20090218T043315Z)

          --------
          Name: SUNWfirefox
          Summary: Mozilla Firefox Web browser
          Authority: Unknown
          Version: 0.5.11
          Build Release: 5.11
          Branch: 0.108
          Packaging Date: Wed Feb 18 04:33:15 2009
          Size: 127.94 MB
          FMRI: pkg:/SUNWfirefox@0.5.11,5.11-0.108:20090218T043315Z
          ---------

          If you want a specific update of something (security,defect,RFE), then
          you can report it on http://defect.opensolaris.org for the engineers/managers to look at your request for review.

          Sun has the 'PAYING CUSTOMER' in PRODUCTION environments subscription support program as well (i.e. OpenSolaris Production Subscription Support): http://www.sun.com/service/opensolaris

          You can get that if you are using OpenSolaris in the data center and
          need that 'CYA' blanket of protection.

          ~ Ken Mays
        • jadyid4me
          Hello, ... That s what I searched for. Adding the dev repository shows the updates I missed. Thanks & regards Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Hello,

            > The pkg.opensolaris.org (IPS) repository is the official central
            > place to get updates for OpenSolaris. You can use the
            > pkg.opensolaris.org/dev site to get the latest development updates
            > (now at OS2009.06-b108 branch release)

            That's what I searched for. Adding the dev repository shows
            the updates I missed.

            Thanks & regards
            Thomas
          • Alan Coopersmith
            ... There are no patches in the IPS system, only updated versions of packages, but like patches, IPS only downloads the files that changed from your currently
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              ThB wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > What about Patches and Updates for OpenSolaris 2008.11 ? Are there no patches available ? The update and package managers do not show any available updates or updated packages. (And do not tell me that OS does not have any security issues)
              >
              > Do I need a support contract to get the security patches/updates ? Or do I have to wait for the next OpenSolaris release ? If it's the latter then IMHO OpenSolaris is not really qualified for daily/production usage and therefore is not a Solaris 10 replacement and is still light-years away of any Linux distribution.

              There are no patches in the IPS system, only updated versions of packages,
              but like patches, IPS only downloads the files that changed from your
              currently installed version.

              There are three different package repositories you can choose from, with
              different rates of updates:

              1) The default, pkg.opensolaris.org/release - contains the packages in the
              initial release. Should get only updates for the most critical bugs,
              free for everyone.

              2) The support repository - contains bug fixes for the packages in the
              initial release, but not most of the new features, similar to S10 patches.
              Only available to support customers.

              3) The development builds repository, pkg.opensolaris.org/dev - contains
              all the packages in each biweekly development build - bug fixes, new
              features, etc. This is basically the SXCE biweekly builds delivered
              via IPS. Free for everyone. Announcements of each biweekly build
              and any release notes about known bugs you may hit in them are posted
              to the opensolaris-announce@... mailing list and the latest
              is usually linked to from the "PKG Updates" link in the Announcments
              box on the bottom right corner of http://www.opensolaris.org/

              --
              -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
              Sun Microsystems, Inc. - X Window System Engineering
            • Dennis Keane
              ... I m looking to patch/upgrade my OS 11/2008 version as well but I can t seem to get the development repository into my Package Manager... I m using this
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                Alan Coopersmith wrote:
                >
                > ThB wrote:
                >> Hello,
                >>
                >> What about Patches and Updates for OpenSolaris 2008.11 ? Are there no patches available ? The update and package managers do not show any available updates or updated packages. (And do not tell me that OS does not have any security issues)
                >>
                >> Do I need a support contract to get the security patches/updates ? Or do I have to wait for the next OpenSolaris release ? If it's the latter then IMHO OpenSolaris is not really qualified for daily/production usage and therefore is not a Solaris 10 replacement and is still light-years away of any Linux distribution.
                >
                > There are no patches in the IPS system, only updated versions of packages,
                > but like patches, IPS only downloads the files that changed from your
                > currently installed version.
                >
                > There are three different package repositories you can choose from, with
                > different rates of updates:
                >
                > 1) The default, pkg.opensolaris.org/release - contains the packages in the
                > initial release. Should get only updates for the most critical bugs,
                > free for everyone.
                >
                > 2) The support repository - contains bug fixes for the packages in the
                > initial release, but not most of the new features, similar to S10 patches.
                > Only available to support customers.
                >
                > 3) The development builds repository, pkg.opensolaris.org/dev - contains
                > all the packages in each biweekly development build - bug fixes, new
                > features, etc. This is basically the SXCE biweekly builds delivered
                > via IPS. Free for everyone. Announcements of each biweekly build
                > and any release notes about known bugs you may hit in them are posted
                > to the opensolaris-announce@... mailing list and the latest
                > is usually linked to from the "PKG Updates" link in the Announcments
                > box on the bottom right corner of http://www.opensolaris.org/
                >

                I'm looking to patch/upgrade my OS 11/2008 version as well but I can't
                seem to get the development repository into my Package Manager...

                I'm using this URL: http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev

                The Add button remains Greyed Out. Do I need to add a port number like
                the SunFreeware repository? http://pkg.sunfreeware.com:9000/
                Or do I have to specify which version I want?

                Thanks
                Dennis
              • Dennis Keane
                ... I ll answer my own post in case anybody else is looking for this info: I was corresponding with someone at opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org This is how
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2009
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  Dennis Keane wrote:
                  > Alan Coopersmith wrote:
                  >> ThB wrote:
                  >>> Hello,
                  >>>
                  >>> What about Patches and Updates for OpenSolaris 2008.11 ? Are there no patches available ? The update and package managers do not show any available updates or updated packages. (And do not tell me that OS does not have any security issues)
                  >>>
                  >>> Do I need a support contract to get the security patches/updates ? Or do I have to wait for the next OpenSolaris release ? If it's the latter then IMHO OpenSolaris is not really qualified for daily/production usage and therefore is not a Solaris 10 replacement and is still light-years away of any Linux distribution.
                  >> There are no patches in the IPS system, only updated versions of packages,
                  >> but like patches, IPS only downloads the files that changed from your
                  >> currently installed version.
                  >>
                  >> There are three different package repositories you can choose from, with
                  >> different rates of updates:
                  >>
                  >> 1) The default, pkg.opensolaris.org/release - contains the packages in the
                  >> initial release. Should get only updates for the most critical bugs,
                  >> free for everyone.
                  >>
                  >> 2) The support repository - contains bug fixes for the packages in the
                  >> initial release, but not most of the new features, similar to S10 patches.
                  >> Only available to support customers.
                  >>
                  >> 3) The development builds repository, pkg.opensolaris.org/dev - contains
                  >> all the packages in each biweekly development build - bug fixes, new
                  >> features, etc. This is basically the SXCE biweekly builds delivered
                  >> via IPS. Free for everyone. Announcements of each biweekly build
                  >> and any release notes about known bugs you may hit in them are posted
                  >> to the opensolaris-announce@... mailing list and the latest
                  >> is usually linked to from the "PKG Updates" link in the Announcments
                  >> box on the bottom right corner of http://www.opensolaris.org/
                  >>
                  >
                  > I'm looking to patch/upgrade my OS 11/2008 version as well but I can't
                  > seem to get the development repository into my Package Manager...
                  >
                  > I'm using this URL: http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev
                  >
                  > The Add button remains Greyed Out. Do I need to add a port number like
                  > the SunFreeware repository? http://pkg.sunfreeware.com:9000/
                  > Or do I have to specify which version I want?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Dennis
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Please check the Links page before posting:
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solarisx86/links
                  > Post message: solarisx86@yahoogroups.com
                  > UNSUBSCRIBE: solarisx86-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  I'll answer my own post in case anybody else is looking for this info:
                  I was corresponding with someone at opensolaris-discuss@...

                  This is how I was originally set:
                  ->pkg authority
                  AUTHORITY URL
                  SunFreeware http://pkg.sunfreeware.com:9000/
                  opensolaris.org (preferred) http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release/

                  I changed the NAME to something without spaces and now it seems to take...
                  This is what I have now:
                  ->pkg authority
                  AUTHORITY URL
                  SunFreeware http://pkg.sunfreeware.com:9000/
                  opensolaris.org (preferred) http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release/
                  OpenSolaris.org.Dev http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/

                  It looks like the Package Manager doesn't like spaces in the NAME...

                  IAE, now I should be able to run an Update All with my current settings
                  to make sure that I'm up to date. Then switch my repository, and default
                  to the Dev and run another Update All which should upgrade me to the
                  b108 release...
                  If I'm not satisfied I should be able to reboot back into my existing BE...

                  Dennis
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.