Nevada/Opensolaris on ASUS P6 series mb?

  • Scott Budge
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
      I am looking at a good nehalem motherboard I can run Nevada or
      Opensolaris on. Does anyone have experience with the Asus P6 series?
      Any other suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Scott

      --
      Scott Budge <scott.budge@...>
      Utah State University

    • Al Hopper
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Scott Budge <scott.budge@...> wrote:
        > I am looking at a good nehalem motherboard I can run Nevada or
        > Opensolaris on. Does anyone have experience with the Asus P6 series?
        > Any other suggestions?

        I built a system based on the Asus P6T Deluxe (in December last year)
        and I'm very happy with it. It's easy to overclock the CoreI7 920 to
        3.8GHz [1] - although there is some variability in individual
        processors - some will overclock better than others[2]. Also the Core
        i7 Bios updates are just now slowing down - so you should have good
        luck getting this system up and running quite easily. I've tested
        OpenSolaris SXCE build 103 and 104 and ZFS performance is superb.

        If I were buying a motherboard today I'd probably look at the Asus
        P6T6 WS Revolution - because more PCIe slots provide better future
        proofing than the expansion slots available in the board I bought.

        Also - beware of heatsinks that use the Intel recommended mechanism to
        secure the heatsink to the motherboard [3]. They are problematic,
        especially if the heatsink it heavy (most of them are). Instead look
        at a heatsink that provides a frame under the motherboard and uses
        screws to secure the heatsink assembly to the frame. Suggestion:
        Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT - that's what I'm going to
        replace my Asus Triton 81 with (simply because of the mounting
        issues).

        Regarding memory - buy parts rated at DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) or better,
        that will provide that speed rating at no more than 1.65 volts. I'd
        recommend you go with 2Gb parts - start with 3 * 2Gb parts and then
        you can upgrade later to 12Gbs. There are lots of choices and you
        don't have to spend big bucks to get the Good Stuff. Many suppliers
        are offering discount coupons - so evaluate the alternatives while
        keeping a careful watch on the discounts being offered.

        I would also recommend a power supply with lots of 12 Volt current
        capacity - something in the 700W range is good. Don't try it with
        less than a 700Watt PSU - but there's no need to go much beyond the
        700 to 800watt range. The normal system power consumption is very
        reasonable - especially compared to older systems - but when you busy
        out all the CPU (cores) the system draws a lot of power.

        One other point - the Asus heatsink - the one with the fancy curved
        fins that sits in the center of the board needs some cooling airflow.
        I could not believe that the Asus heatsink I bought (specifically
        designed for the Core i7) did not provide any airflow for this
        heatsink - despite having lots of capacity due to the use of pusher
        and puller fans. All they needed to do was to divert a little of this
        airstream in the general direction of this heatsink. There is
        provision to install a 40mm fan directly on this heatsink - but I'm
        using a Zalman FB123 and a (quiet) 92mm fan running at less than half
        speed. I just don't like small fans anymore.

        There's a great article at: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3510
        that will provide some very valuable info.

        [1] and I'm only interested in a conservative overclock that will
        provide good performance but, much more important to me, is 100% rock
        solid reliability. The physcho gamers are pushing these systems to
        between 4.1 and 4.2GHz. Good speeds to try are 3.2GHz and 3.8GHz -
        since these speeds will work well with DDR3-1600 memory.

        [2] Don't be afraid to overclock this CPU. It's easy and very
        rewarding. Running a 920 at standard speed is a complete waste of
        your dollars. You will have to increase you CPU voltage - but only
        modestly. Be sure to stress test the hell out of the system after you
        overclock it, but before you put it "into production". You may need
        to bump up the CPU voltage in very small increments if it does not
        survive torture testing for at least 10 minutes. I had to play back 4
        simultaneous videos and run multiple parallel builds of emacs-21.3 in
        the background (via scripts that started up a bunch of them) to busy
        out the system.

        [3] I can't believe it - Intel messed up *again* with this stupid
        attachment mechanism. It's only good for the wimpiest heatsinks that
        no-one is using!

        Please feel free to email me offline if you need additional info.

        PS: Down the road I'd like to install 6*4Gb memory parts - but DDR3
        memory is being adopted a lot slower than expected - probably because
        of the current economic melt-down. So I may be
        sticking with 2Gb parts for a long time.

        Regards,

        --
        Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc,Plano,TX al@...
        Voice: 972.379.2133 Timezone: US CDT
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
          Scott Budge wrote:

          > I am looking at a good nehalem motherboard I can run Nevada or
          > Opensolaris on. Does anyone have experience with the Asus P6 series?
          > Any other suggestions?
          >

          > .

          A couple of people in my group bought the ASUS P6T Deluxe. The only
          issue reported was the Marvell NIC on the V2 motherboards. I believe
          they installed an Intel NIC card to do network installs.

          I was looking at the ASUS P6T6 WS since it supported the Xeon 1S
          processor and ECC memory (and the Realtek NIC), but I needed to buy
          something in December and didn't want to eat the i7 CPU and non-ECC DIMMs.
          If I could have waited, this would have been my choice.

          I ended up getting an eVGA X58 SLI with a i7 920 CPU and two
          Corsair 6GB DDR3-1333 memory kits. This setup has been working
          flawlessly with builds 105-107.
        • Jeffrey Brower
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
            I have been hearing that ECC memory is a waste on this processor, but I do
            not know how to evaluate that. The motherboards say they support ECC, but I
            understand that is only when the CPU supports the ECC memory (and the Intel
            docs on i7 say that it does not support ECC).

            I bought 3 of these i7 processors and I am waiting on my Supermicro
            X8STI-LN4 boards to come in for the build. I tend to go for stability where
            I can and I have several Supermicro boards that I really trust.

            -- Jeff

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
              Jeffrey Brower wrote:

              > I have been hearing that ECC memory is a waste on this processor, but I do
              > not know how to evaluate that. The motherboards say they support ECC,
              > but I
              > understand that is only when the CPU supports the ECC memory (and the
              > Intel
              > docs on i7 say that it does not support ECC).
              >

              > .

              See the note on the P6T6 WS Revolution memory specification:

              *** ECC memory support requires Intel(R) Workstation 1S Xeon(R)
              processors 3500 series
            • maybird1776
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Scott Budge <scott.budge@...> wrote:

                > I am looking at a good nehalem motherboard I can run Nevada or
                > Opensolaris on. Does anyone have experience with the Asus P6 series?
                > Any other suggestions?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Scott

                Start with the eVGA X58 motherboard. My friend built an Intel i7-965
                machine recently and we tried to overclocked the cores up 4.6 Ghz.
                Most people are running the Intel core i7-920 at 3.6-3.8 Ghz on other
                motherboards (mostly the Intel DX58SO series which I originally bought).
                Those are SAFE overclocking rates - but to ensure you don't melt the
                motherboard - use an advanced cooling system of choice and 750W PS.

                ~ Ken
              • maybird1776
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2009
                  --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Scott Budge <scott.budge@...> wrote:

                  > I am looking at a good nehalem motherboard I can run Nevada or
                  > Opensolaris on. Does anyone have experience with the Asus P6
                  series?
                  > Any other suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Scott

                  Besides just mentioning the Intel & EVGA X58 motherboards, take
                  a look at this for some info:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpOx8RR6B28

                  ~ Ken