Re: [solarisx86] Potential bug in ZFS default pools in S10U6 and OpenSolaris build 105 if using /export/home as basedir?

  • Ian Collins
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
      > I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
      > convention changed?
      >
      > I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
      > to /export/home,
      How?

      Your nameservice usually takes care of mounting home directories. Which
      nameservice do you use?

      > I get all kinds of wacky ZFS errors (mostly concerned
      > with being unable to mount rpool/export/home after mounting
      > rpool/export) keeping some crucial services from starting.

      Which errors?

      What does zfs list show?

      --
      Ian.
    • Alex Smith (K4RNT)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
        On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:
        > Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
        >> I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
        >> convention changed?
        >>
        >> I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
        >> to /export/home,
        > How?

        useradd -D -b /export/home

        > Your nameservice usually takes care of mounting home directories. Which
        > nameservice do you use?

        DNS.

        >> I get all kinds of wacky ZFS errors (mostly concerned
        >> with being unable to mount rpool/export/home after mounting
        >> rpool/export) keeping some crucial services from starting.
        >>

        > Which errors?

        I can't paste anymore, cause I worked around the errors. However, I
        can replicate the problem by using the default ZFS mounts from a
        Solaris 10 or snv_105 install, using a single pool for all mounts,
        having seperate mounts for rpool/export and rpool/export/home, and
        immediately trying to add users with the command 'useradd -m userfoo'.

        ZFS will refuse to mount /export/home because /export/home isn't
        empty, which makes me scratch my head.

        Wish I could be of more help. I could probably do another VM with the
        same setup and try it and get the errors... :/

        --
        " ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech
        censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied,
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
          Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
          > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
          >>
          >>> I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
          >>> convention changed?
          >>>
          >>> I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
          >>> to /export/home,
          >>>
          >> How?
          >>

          > useradd -D -b /export/home

          I've never changed the default base directory, why would you want to?

          > I can't paste anymore, cause I worked around the errors. However, I
          > can replicate the problem by using the default ZFS mounts from a
          > Solaris 10 or snv_105 install, using a single pool for all mounts,
          > having seperate mounts for rpool/export and rpool/export/home, and
          > immediately trying to add users with the command 'useradd -m userfoo'.

          Odd, it worked OK for me:

          # uname -a
          SunOS bester 5.11 snv_101 i86pc i386 i86pc

          # zfs list -r rpool/export
          NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
          rpool/export 60K 64.6G 19K /export
          rpool/export/home 26K 64.6G 26K /export/home

          # useradd -D -b /export/home
          useradd -m jim
          64 blocks
          # su - jim
          Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.11 snv_101 November 2008
          $ pwd
          /export/home/jim
          $ exit

          --