Potential bug in ZFS default pools in S10U6 and OpenSolaris build 105 if using /export/home as basedir?

  • Alex Smith (K4RNT)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
      I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
      convention changed?

      I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
      to /export/home, I get all kinds of wacky ZFS errors (mostly concerned
      with being unable to mount rpool/export/home after mounting
      rpool/export) keeping some crucial services from starting.

      A workaround for this is as follows:

      <snip>
      zfs unmount rpool/export/home
      zfs unmount rpool/export
      rm -rf /export/home
      zfs mount rpool/export
      zfs mount rpool/export/home
      </snip>

      Is this a valid bug, or am I breaking some ZFS or new Solaris
      convention? Should I submit this as a possible bug?

      This has happened in both Solaris 10 10/08 x86 and Solaris Express
      snv_105 SPARC.

      Please advise. Thanks in advance! :)

      --
      " ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech
      censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied,
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
        Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
        > I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
        > convention changed?
        >
        > I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
        > to /export/home,
        How?

        Your nameservice usually takes care of mounting home directories. Which
        nameservice do you use?

        > I get all kinds of wacky ZFS errors (mostly concerned
        > with being unable to mount rpool/export/home after mounting
        > rpool/export) keeping some crucial services from starting.

        Which errors?

        What does zfs list show?

        --
        Ian.
      • Alex Smith (K4RNT)
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
          On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:
          > Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
          >> I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
          >> convention changed?
          >>
          >> I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
          >> to /export/home,
          > How?

          useradd -D -b /export/home

          > Your nameservice usually takes care of mounting home directories. Which
          > nameservice do you use?

          DNS.

          >> I get all kinds of wacky ZFS errors (mostly concerned
          >> with being unable to mount rpool/export/home after mounting
          >> rpool/export) keeping some crucial services from starting.
          >>

          > Which errors?

          I can't paste anymore, cause I worked around the errors. However, I
          can replicate the problem by using the default ZFS mounts from a
          Solaris 10 or snv_105 install, using a single pool for all mounts,
          having seperate mounts for rpool/export and rpool/export/home, and
          immediately trying to add users with the command 'useradd -m userfoo'.

          ZFS will refuse to mount /export/home because /export/home isn't
          empty, which makes me scratch my head.

          Wish I could be of more help. I could probably do another VM with the
          same setup and try it and get the errors... :/

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
            Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
            > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
            >>
            >>> I've been using /export/home for my basedir since Solaris 8 - has this
            >>> convention changed?
            >>>
            >>> I've noticed that if I change my default basedir for users from /home
            >>> to /export/home,
            >>>
            >> How?
            >>

            > useradd -D -b /export/home

            I've never changed the default base directory, why would you want to?

            > I can't paste anymore, cause I worked around the errors. However, I
            > can replicate the problem by using the default ZFS mounts from a
            > Solaris 10 or snv_105 install, using a single pool for all mounts,
            > having seperate mounts for rpool/export and rpool/export/home, and
            > immediately trying to add users with the command 'useradd -m userfoo'.

            Odd, it worked OK for me:

            # uname -a
            SunOS bester 5.11 snv_101 i86pc i386 i86pc

            # zfs list -r rpool/export
            NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
            rpool/export 60K 64.6G 19K /export
            rpool/export/home 26K 64.6G 26K /export/home

            # useradd -D -b /export/home
            useradd -m jim
            64 blocks
            # su - jim
            Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.11 snv_101 November 2008
            $ pwd
            /export/home/jim
            $ exit

            --