Network Interface

  • upgc2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hi,
      How to check the available network interface in my system, it is not
      displaying any thing in /etc/path_to_inst and #kstat -c net |grep net.
      ifconfig command showing loop back network interface.

      pls. help
    • Juergen Keil
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "upgc2001" <upgc2001@...> wrote:

        > How to check the available network interface in my system, it is not
        > displaying any thing in /etc/path_to_inst and #kstat -c net |grep net.
        > ifconfig command showing loop back network interface.

        ifconfig -a plumb

        After that new installed network devices should be visible in
        ifconfig output.

        But I guess the system is missing a driver for the nic hardware,
        or is missing a driver binding entry for the hardware. In that
        case you would start to look at "prtconf -Dv" or
        /usr/bin/X11/scanpci output, search for the ethernet hardware
        and try to figure out what driver is needed for that hardware...
      • upgc2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Keil" <jk@...> wrote:

          > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "upgc2001" <upgc2001@> wrote:
          >
          > > How to check the available network interface in my system, it is not
          > > displaying any thing in /etc/path_to_inst and #kstat -c net |grep net.
          > > ifconfig command showing loop back network interface.
          >
          > ifconfig -a plumb
          >
          > After that new installed network devices should be visible in
          > ifconfig output.
          >
          > But I guess the system is missing a driver for the nic hardware,
          > or is missing a driver binding entry for the hardware. In that
          > case you would start to look at "prtconf -Dv" or
          > /usr/bin/X11/scanpci output, search for the ethernet hardware
          > and try to figure out what driver is needed for that hardware...

          Hi, thanks for your reply.
          As you said ifconfig -a plumb will give me the result. But as per my
          knowledge for that command to work i need to assign one of the
          interface to the system.
          My point is even if the ifconfig -a plumb works or not, but
          /etc/path_to_inst or kstat -c net |grep net should give me details
          regarding the available interfaces even if it is assigned or not.