Re: any news on blastwave and opencsw

  • maybird1776
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, dick hoogendijk <dick@...> wrote:

      > Time has gone by.
      > At this point in time what is the best option for pkg-get: packages
      > from blastwave or is opencsw more supported?
      >
      > I don't want to start a dispute on both places. I just hope to get
      some
      > information on the flow on both sites.
      >
      > --
      > Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D

      No dispute as OpenCSW is a fork of legacy Blastwave. Packagewise, you
      can get updated FOSS/GNU packages from either source (i.e. a good
      thing).

      OpenCSW focuses on porting and supporting all FOSS and GNU software on
      Sun Solaris 8. This means all SVR4 package formatted packages are
      MAINLY ported and tested on Sun Solaris 8.

      Blastwave expands from OpenCSW in FOSS/GNU IPS/SVR4 packaging and
      supporting Sun Solaris 8/9/10 and OpenSolaris development.

      A few of the sys admins and maintainers support both efforts. The
      management may have changed, but the engineers tend to swim in the
      same ocean.

      The nice thing is that the packages from both pools are 'compatible'
      unlike many other packaging build farms...
    • rogerfujii
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@...> wrote:
        > No dispute as OpenCSW is a fork of legacy Blastwave. Packagewise, you
        > can get updated FOSS/GNU packages from either source (i.e. a good
        > thing).

        Not sure how one parses the first sentence... :) What is clear is
        that the blastwave infrastructure from the web is completely broken -
        updated packages don't match the package version in the package list,
        nor does the bug database exist, but, due to a huge update on the 26
        of Nov., blastwave seems to have more current packages at the moment.
        If drives would stop dying on me, I'd write something that would do
        either....

        -r
      • maybird1776
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "rogerfujii" <rmf@...> wrote:

          > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@> wrote:
          > > No dispute as OpenCSW is a fork of legacy Blastwave. Packagewise, you
          > > can get updated FOSS/GNU packages from either source (i.e. a good
          > > thing).
          >
          > Not sure how one parses the first sentence... :) What is clear is
          > that the blastwave infrastructure from the web is completely broken -
          > updated packages don't match the package version in the package list,
          > nor does the bug database exist, but, due to a huge update on the 26
          > of Nov., blastwave seems to have more current packages at the moment.
          > If drives would stop dying on me, I'd write something that would do
          > either....
          >
          > -r

          Hello,

          The Blastwave website is being reconstructed soon. You can find the
          latest info at:
          http://wiki.blastwave.org

          About Blastwave.org
          http://wiki.blastwave.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=28

          Blastwave Maintainer Team (Who We Are):
          http://wiki.blastwave.org/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=12&Itemid=90

          Customer support [24 hours/7 days a week]:
          Use the forums on the wiki for package requests or support issues!

          The Package repository at:
          http://blastwave.network.com

          The Blastwave IPS repository:
          blastwave.network.com:10000

          FlySpray bug reporting tool:
          http://wiki.blastwave.org/index.php?option=com_flyspray&Itemid=87

          Package release history:
          http://www.blastwave.org/update_logs/release_history/

          Blastwave.org is hosting about 1882 packages for both x86/x64 and SPARC.

          Today, there was a release of about 152 packages from testing - some
          dealing with bug fixes and security updates. Blastwave.org is far from
          being a dead project in Y2008.

          Sun Solaris OS 8/9/10 & OpenSolaris YYYY.XX x86/x64 and SPARC supported.

          ~ Ken Mays
        • Rodney Sparapani
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
            maybird1776 wrote:
            > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "rogerfujii" <rmf@...> wrote:
            >> --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@> wrote:
            >>> No dispute as OpenCSW is a fork of legacy Blastwave. Packagewise, you
            >>> can get updated FOSS/GNU packages from either source (i.e. a good
            >>> thing).
            >> Not sure how one parses the first sentence... :) What is clear is
            >> that the blastwave infrastructure from the web is completely broken -
            >> updated packages don't match the package version in the package list,
            >> nor does the bug database exist, but, due to a huge update on the 26
            >> of Nov., blastwave seems to have more current packages at the moment.
            >> If drives would stop dying on me, I'd write something that would do
            >> either....
            >>
            >> -r
            >>

            > Hello,
            >
            > The Blastwave website is being reconstructed soon. You can find the
            > latest info at:
            > http://wiki.blastwave.org
            >
            > About Blastwave.org
            > http://wiki.blastwave.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=28
            >
            > Blastwave Maintainer Team (Who We Are):
            > http://wiki.blastwave.org/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=12&Itemid=90
            >
            > Customer support [24 hours/7 days a week]:
            > Use the forums on the wiki for package requests or support issues!
            >
            > The Package repository at:
            > http://blastwave.network.com
            >
            > The Blastwave IPS repository:
            > blastwave.network.com:10000
            >
            > FlySpray bug reporting tool:
            > http://wiki.blastwave.org/index.php?option=com_flyspray&Itemid=87
            >
            > Package release history:
            > http://www.blastwave.org/update_logs/release_history/
            >
            > Blastwave.org is hosting about 1882 packages for both x86/x64 and SPARC.
            >
            > Today, there was a release of about 152 packages from testing - some
            > dealing with bug fixes and security updates. Blastwave.org is far from
            > being a dead project in Y2008.
            >
            > Sun Solaris OS 8/9/10 & OpenSolaris YYYY.XX x86/x64 and SPARC supported.
            >
            > ~ Ken Mays

            Hi Ken:

            I found that page recently, but I thought it was for a MySQL package or
            something. Maybe some more hints about the purpose of the page are
            warranted. Also, did you look at the page with Firefox 2? For me, the
            text is either overly left-indented or overly right-indented. When too
            far left, it obscures the sidebar and "calendar". Too far right, and
            the text goes off the nice easy to read white background to the dark
            orange resulting in a low contrast with the black text. Could you fix
            that? I'm guessing this is a CSS issue since we had some similar
            problems setting up our own web page. I suppose it could be a Firefox 2
            bug, but there are alot of people using that so it doesn't really help
            you.

            --
            Rodney Sparapani Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
            Sr. Biostatistician http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, dick hoogendijk <dick@...> wrote:

              > Time has gone by.
              > At this point in time what is the best option for pkg-get: packages
              > from blastwave or is opencsw more supported?

              [Hmm. I posted a reply to this a few days ago, but it went missing.
              so, apologies if this is a redundant post...]

              As the author of pkg-get, I can categorically state that opencsw.org
              is the best option for pkg-get, and is "more supported" :-)

              There is even a beta package of pkg-get v4.0, at
              http://mirror.opencsw.org/testing/pkg_get-4.0,REV=2008.11.12.beta-SunOS5.8-all-CSW.pkg

              you can try it out in semi-automated fashion, without disturbing your
              "normal" pkg-get site configurations, by using

              pkg-get -s http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/testing -U -u pkg_get

              if you wish.

              And, to make it clear about opencsw.org in general:

              We FULLY SUPPORT Solaris 8, **and 9 and 10**.
              We support 8, for so long as sun keeps it as normally supportable by them.

              As explicitly stated at
              http://www.opencsw.org/standards/core_principles

              Philip Brown
              Author of pkg-get

              PS: our website layout IS fully browser-scalable. Function, over Form,
              you might say. ;-)