Re: Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem

  • maybird1776
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      This was discussed and fixed in Solaris 10u6.

      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Michael McKnight
      <michael_mcknight01@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I have just built a new system and installed Solaris 10 x86 05/08. The
      > system has an Intel e1000g PCIx1 NIC.
      >
      > The system plumbs the interface just fine and the ifconfig and netstat
      > info on the interface look ok, but it will not transmit or receive.
      >
      > When using snoop, I can see what looks like packets trying to leave
      (ie.
      > DNS query) but if I look at snoop from another system you never
      actually
      > see the data hit the wire.
      >
      > It's like the OS/driver thinks everything is OK, but the NIC wont
      > put/get anything to the wire.
      >
      > If I unplug the cable, the system logs a message that the cable was
      > unplugged. If I plug it back in, I get a message that states the cable
      > was plugged in an a 100/Full link is made. But still no traffic ever
      > makes it to the wire.
      >
      > So, any ideas as to why the system seems to configure the interface
      > correctly, can tell when the link is broken/established, but cannot
      > transmit or receive from the wire?
      >
      > I know the cable/switch are ok because when I hook my laptop to the
      same
      > cable, it works just fine.
      >
      > I have applied the latest e1000g driver (137293-02).
      >
      > Thanks to all in advance.
      > -Michael

    • Michael McKnight
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
        I can confirm this was indeed fixed in Solaris 10u6. Not sure what
        happened between u4 and u6, but it's working again!

        Thanks for your help!

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 18, 2008
          Hello,

          I'm having a slightly similar problem with a Marvell Yukon chipset.
          Actually, it does work on boot, but after a while, it just stops. Snoops
          shows packets going out *and* in, but they're never answered to.

          It happens rather quickly on a Gbit switch (a few hours, only a few
          minutes if doing a download), a bit later when on a 100 Mb switch, like
          3 days.

          I'm really stumped as to what causes this. Marvell sent me a beta of
          their next driver, v10, but still the same. Maybe a flaky chipset?
          Seems weird, though.

          Laurent

          --
          / Leader de Projet & Communauté | I'm working, but not speaking for
          \ G11N http://fr.opensolaris.org | Bull Services http://www.bull.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 18, 2008
            At 01:07 PM 11/18/2008 +0100, you wrote:
            >Hello,
            >
            >I'm having a slightly similar problem with a Marvell Yukon chipset.
            >Actually, it does work on boot, but after a while, it just stops. Snoops
            >shows packets going out *and* in, but they're never answered to.

            I am using this driver for my WAN nic in the solaris router.
            I am on 10/08 release with all patches.

            What I am seeing is random. Users complain that at times web pages
            get 'stuck' and they just see the hourglass spinning...until the
            browser is shut down.

            Using the same machine with FreeBSD or NetBSD, I never had this issue.

            I too, suspect the e1000g driver, and trying to find a left over
            intel 10/100 (iprb) card around here...

            -JD
          • Michael McKnight
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 18, 2008
              I tried several patches to fix this problem with the 05/08 release and
              couldn't get anything to work. When I upgraded to the 10/08 release the
              problem went away and I haven't seen it since.

              You might want to try moving to 10/08.

              I hope this helps,
              Michael

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
                Michael McKnight a écrit :
                > I tried several patches to fix this problem with the 05/08 release and
                > couldn't get anything to work. When I upgraded to the 10/08 release the
                > problem went away and I haven't seen it since.
                >
                > You might want to try moving to 10/08.

                Already did, but no luck.

                I really hope it's faulty hardware, I'll get a motherboard replacement.
                I wish it were more evident. It reminds me way too much of the si3124
                issue. I feel unlucky.