spontanious reboot

  • dick hoogendijk
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      I -never- in all these years watched a spontanious reboot.
      I also thought Solaris would not let that happen.
      That was a bit naive I think.
      It happened.

      Strange thing is I can't find anywhere in the logs what caused it.
      Shouldn't be there some kind of info?

      Any ideas on causes? Heath maybe?

      --
      Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
      ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Aug 1, 2008, at 1:32 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:

        > I -never- in all these years watched a spontanious reboot.
        > I also thought Solaris would not let that happen.
        > That was a bit naive I think.
        > It happened.
        >
        > Strange thing is I can't find anywhere in the logs what caused it.
        > Shouldn't be there some kind of info?
        >
        > Any ideas on causes? Heath maybe?

        Those are almost always HW related in my experience.

        Chad

        ---
        Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
        Your Web App and Email hosting provider
        chad at shire.net
      • dick hoogendijk
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
          On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:11:41 -0600
          "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@...> wrote:

          > On Aug 1, 2008, at 1:32 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
          >

          > > I -never- in all these years watched a spontanious reboot.
          > > I also thought Solaris would not let that happen.
          > > That was a bit naive I think.
          > > It happened.
          > >
          > > Any ideas on causes? Heath maybe?
          >
          > Those are almost always HW related in my experience.

          Hmm, that does not sound good. Although is only happened once it kind
          of ask of me to take action. What would be a good starting point to
          investigate my hardware?

          --
          Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
          ++ http://nagual.nl/ + SunOS sxce snv94 ++
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
            On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:35 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:

            > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:11:41 -0600
            > "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@...> wrote:
            >

            >> On Aug 1, 2008, at 1:32 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
            >>

            >>> I -never- in all these years watched a spontanious reboot.
            >>> I also thought Solaris would not let that happen.
            >>> That was a bit naive I think.
            >>> It happened.
            >>>
            >>> Any ideas on causes? Heath maybe?
            >>
            >> Those are almost always HW related in my experience.
            >
            > Hmm, that does not sound good. Although is only happened once it kind
            > of ask of me to take action. What would be a good starting point to
            > investigate my hardware?

            Make sure the CPU heatsink is clean and check that all fans works.
            Don't forget to suspect the power supply ;-)

            Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

            The axioms of wisdom:
            1. Go the SPARC way of life
            2. You can't conquer the universe without the knowledge of FORTRAN
            3. In the Unix realm, 10% of work fixes 90% of the problems
          • Ben Taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
              On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Jasse Jansson <jasse@...> wrote:

              > On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:35 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
              >
              >> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:11:41 -0600

              >>> Those are almost always HW related in my experience.
              >>
              >> Hmm, that does not sound good. Although is only happened once it kind
              >> of ask of me to take action. What would be a good starting point to
              >> investigate my hardware?
              >
              > Make sure the CPU heatsink is clean and check that all fans works.
              > Don't forget to suspect the power supply ;-)

              +1.

              Also, make sure all connections are good.

              I have a intel quad core that started panicing and resetting after I
              installed S10U5, then moved that install to a different disk. Something
              got roached, and I eventually ended up just doing a fresh jumpstart
              and it's been stable ever since. Before that, it was rock solid on
              SXCE-b87.
            • hrcoomes
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, dick hoogendijk <dick@...> wrote:

                > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:11:41 -0600
                > "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@...> wrote:
                >

                > > On Aug 1, 2008, at 1:32 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
                > >

                > > > I -never- in all these years watched a spontanious reboot.
                > > > I also thought Solaris would not let that happen.
                > > > That was a bit naive I think.
                > > > It happened.
                > > >
                > > > Any ideas on causes? Heath maybe?
                > >
                > > Those are almost always HW related in my experience.
                >
                > Hmm, that does not sound good. Although is only happened once it kind
                > of ask of me to take action. What would be a good starting point to
                > investigate my hardware?
                >
                > --
                > Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
                > ++ http://nagual.nl/ + SunOS sxce snv94 ++

                Had seemingly random reboots with no log messages on an Ultra 20.
                Turned out to be a memory problem.
              • Stefan Teleman
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
                  On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:35 AM, dick hoogendijk <dick@...> wrote:

                  > Hmm, that does not sound good. Although is only happened once it kind
                  > of ask of me to take action. What would be a good starting point to
                  > investigate my hardware?

                  Also, make sure your memory is certified for/compatible with your mobo
                  (i had horrible problems with some otherwise good memory but which had
                  "issues" with my mobo, i changed the memory to a "certified" one and
                  the problems went away). Your mobo manufacturer should have this info
                  available.

                  You could also run memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ and see if
                  anything pops up.

                  --Stefan