pdf viewer in Solaris 10 5/08

  • Russell Aspinwall
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2008
      Hi,

      Was tidying up my computer and removing many of the old SFW applications
      from /opt/sfw.
      When I started Launch -> Applications -> Graphics -> PDF Document Viewer
      it started Adobe Acrobat 4
      which I assumed that I had changed to point to my old Acrobat4 binary
      from 2000 but no it listed
      /usr/bin/pdflaunch which reported itself as the same version as my old
      Adobe version

      # ldd /usr/bin/pdflaunch
      libgnomeui-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0
      libSM.so.6 => /usr/openwin/lib/libSM.so.6
      libICE.so.6 => /usr/openwin/lib/libICE.so.6
      libbonoboui-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libbonoboui-2.so.0
      libgnome-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnome-2.so.0
      libpopt.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpopt.so.0
      libbonobo-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libbonobo-2.so.0
      libgnomevfs-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0
      libbonobo-activation.so.4 => /usr/lib/libbonobo-activation.so.4
      libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0
      libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0
      libgnomecanvas-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.so.0
      libart_lgpl_2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so.2
      libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
      libglade-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so.0
      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
      libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2
      libpthread.so.1 => /lib/libpthread.so.1
      libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1
      libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
      libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0
      libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
      libmlib.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmlib.so.2
      libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0
      libpangox-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so.0
      libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0
      libgconf-2.so.4 => /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4
      libORBit-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so.0
      libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
      libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2
      libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1
      libsocket.so.1 => /lib/libsocket.so.1
      libm.so.2 => /lib/libm.so.2
      libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
      libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0
      libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
      libthread.so.1 => /lib/libthread.so.1
      libc.so.1 => /lib/libc.so.1
      libgnome-keyring.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0
      libgailutil.so.17 => /usr/lib/libgailutil.so.17
      libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
      libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1
      libX11.so.4 => /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
      libesd.so.0 => /usr/lib/libesd.so.0
      libaudiofile.so.0 => /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so.0
      libORBitCosNaming-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.so.0
      libssl.so.0.9.7 => /usr/sfw/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
      libcrypto.so.0.9.7 => /usr/sfw/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
      librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1
      libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
      libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/sfw/lib/libfreetype.so.6
      libXft.so.2 => /usr/openwin/lib/libXft.so.2
      libXrender.so.1 => /usr/sfw/lib/libXrender.so.1
      libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/X11/lib/libXrandr.so.2
      libXi.so.5 => /usr/openwin/lib/libXi.so.5
      libXext.so.0 => /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
      libmp.so.2 => /lib/libmp.so.2
      libmd.so.1 => /lib/libmd.so.1
      libscf.so.1 => /lib/libscf.so.1
      libaio.so.1 => /lib/libaio.so.1
      libexpat.so.0 => /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0
      libdoor.so.1 => /lib/libdoor.so.1
      libuutil.so.1 => /lib/libuutil.so.1
      libgen.so.1 => /lib/libgen.so.1
      /usr/lib/libmlib/libmlib_sse2.so.2
      libssl_extra.so.0.9.7 => /usr/sfw/lib/libssl_extra.so.0.9.7
      libcrypto_extra.so.0.9.7 =>
      /usr/sfw/lib/libcrypto_extra.so.0.9.7

      # ldd /opt/Acrobat4/Reader/intelsolaris/bin/acroread
      libreadcore.so => (file not found)
      libAGM.so => (file not found)
      libCoolType.so => (file not found)
      libICC.so => (file not found)
      libXm.so.3 => /usr/dt/lib/libXm.so.3
      libXt.so.4 => /usr/openwin/lib/libXt.so.4
      libXext.so.0 => /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
      libX11.so.4 => /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
      libw.so.1 => /lib/libw.so.1
      libm.so.1 => /lib/libm.so.1
      libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1
      libc.so.1 => /lib/libc.so.1
      libSM.so.6 => /usr/openwin/lib/libSM.so.6
      libICE.so.6 => /usr/openwin/lib/libICE.so.6
      libsocket.so.1 => /lib/libsocket.so.1
      libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1
      libmp.so.2 => /lib/libmp.so.2
      libmd.so.1 => /lib/libmd.so.1
      libscf.so.1 => /lib/libscf.so.1
      libdoor.so.1 => /lib/libdoor.so.1
      libuutil.so.1 => /lib/libuutil.so.1
      libgen.so.1 => /lib/libgen.so.1
      libm.so.2 => /lib/libm.so.2

      If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we will
      see Acrobat 7 or 8?

      --
      Regards

      Russell

      Flomerics Group plc, registered in England, Registered Office 81 Bridge Road, Hampton Court, Surrey, KT8 9HH. Registered No. 2327348. This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Flomerics Group plc or its subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail you may not copy, use, forward or disclose its contents to any other person ; please notify our Computer Service Desk on +44 (0)20 8487 3000 and destroy and delete the message and attachments from your system.

      For more information on Flomerics visit our web site at www.flomerics.com
    • Alan Coopersmith
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2008
        Russell Aspinwall wrote:
        > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we will
        > see Acrobat 7 or 8?

        Sun does not have the sources to any version of Acrobat, cannot compile
        any version of Acrobat, and only passes through the Acrobat binaries
        that Adobe provides.

        --
        -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
      • maybird1776
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2008
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Russell Aspinwall
          <russell.aspinwall@...> wrote:

          > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we will
          > see Acrobat 7 or 8?
          >
          > --
          > Regards
          >
          > Russell

          You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC platforms.
          You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the latest
          Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for over
          nine years now).

          - Ken Mays
        • pcsol1996
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2008
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@...> wrote:

            > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Russell Aspinwall
            > <russell.aspinwall@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we
            will
            > > see Acrobat 7 or 8?
            > >
            > > --
            > > Regards
            > >
            > > Russell
            >
            > You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC platforms.
            > You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the latest
            > Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for over
            > nine years now).
            >
            > - Ken Mays

            Would talking to Adobe really do any good? if they are in some
            dreamland where people actually use SPARC on a desktop these days,
            they are too far gone from reality to convince them to produce an x86
            version. Time to to give up on this...
            Message 5 of 20 , May 4, 2008
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@...> wrote:

              > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Russell Aspinwall
              > <russell.aspinwall@> wrote:
              > >
              > > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we
              will
              > > see Acrobat 7 or 8?
              > >
              > > --
              > > Regards
              > >
              > > Russell
              >
              > You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC platforms.
              > You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the latest
              > Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for over
              > nine years now).

              Heh, I remember the Adobe argument was not enough
              Solaris x86 users. Of coarse the reader is a client application
              and now in 2008 I wonder if there are more Solaris x86
              clients than Sparc. Maybe Adobe in general just doesn't
              pay attention to their software users.

              ---Bob
            • Mike Riley
              Message 6 of 20 , May 4, 2008
                palowoda wrote:
                > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@...> wrote:
                >> --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Russell Aspinwall
                >> <russell.aspinwall@> wrote:
                >>> If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we
                > will
                >>> see Acrobat 7 or 8?
                >>>
                >>> --
                >>> Regards
                >>>
                >>> Russell
                >> You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC platforms.
                >> You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the latest
                >> Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for over
                >> nine years now).
                >
                > Heh, I remember the Adobe argument was not enough
                > Solaris x86 users. Of coarse the reader is a client application
                > and now in 2008 I wonder if there are more Solaris x86
                > clients than Sparc. Maybe Adobe in general just doesn't
                > pay attention to their software users.

                Sun is not quite selling more X86 boxes than Sparc, but when you add the
                non-Sun X86 boxes in there is likely more X86 boxes out there. Certainly it
                gets downloaded far more often. Also, it is more likely to be used as a
                desktop system than a Sparc is.

                Mike
              • drmarkfvilla
                Message 7 of 20 , May 4, 2008
                  --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:

                  > palowoda wrote:
                  > > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@> wrote:
                  > >> --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Russell Aspinwall
                  > > will

                  > >> You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC platforms.
                  > >> You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the latest
                  > >> Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for over
                  > >> nine years now).
                  > >
                  > > Heh, I remember the Adobe argument was not enough
                  > > Solaris x86 users. Of coarse the reader is a client application
                  > > and now in 2008 I wonder if there are more Solaris x86
                  > > clients than Sparc. Maybe Adobe in general just doesn't
                  > > pay attention to their software users.
                  >
                  > Sun is not quite selling more X86 boxes than Sparc, but when you add
                  the
                  > non-Sun X86 boxes in there is likely more X86 boxes out there.
                  Certainly it
                  > gets downloaded far more often. Also, it is more likely to be used
                  as a
                  > desktop system than a Sparc is.
                  >
                  > Mike

                  And version 8.1.2 is the current version.

                  Given that the SPARC version is current and Adobe does support
                  the x86 Flash player, I can't help but think the thing that
                  holds up Solx86 Reader is that there is exactly one person
                  at Adobe who has the will and the way to say, "There will
                  be a Solaris x86 Reader over my dead body!"

                  Motivation? I don't know, maybe Scott McNealy beat him at golf.
                • Alan Coopersmith
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4, 2008
                    drmarkfvilla wrote:
                    > Given that the SPARC version is current and Adobe does support
                    > the x86 Flash player,

                    Sun had a contract with Macromedia for Flash before Adobe bought them.

                    --
                    -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
                  • Stuart Biggar
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4, 2008
                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

                      > Would talking to Adobe really do any good? if they are in some
                      > dreamland where people actually use SPARC on a desktop these days,
                      > they are too far gone from reality to convince them to produce an x86
                      > version. Time to to give up on this...

                      I guess I live in dreamland as we still use SPARCs at work
                      as desktop machines. Really we use SunRays running on a
                      large server as desktops. SunRays also run on Solaris x86
                      but certain (expensive) apps we use are supported ONLY
                      on SPARC Solaris (like the free Acrobat Reader 8). So we
                      still use SPARC and display on "desktops". ENVI and IDL
                      from RSI (now ITTVIS) and Matlab run on SPARC (or Windows
                      and linux and ...) but not on Solaris x86. Note that we
                      are using the large cache (not i) CPU SPARCs with a fair
                      amount of ram and swap in the servers. We might shift
                      to x86 SunRay servers if ENVI/IDL ran on x86. However,
                      I don't know if the Software OpenGL used for SunRays
                      on SPARC works on x86 ...

                      Yes, I've written to Adobe, RSI and so on. I did get a
                      reply from RSI (then owned by Kodak) but no x86 version
                      yet. I'm not holding my breath waiting so we still use
                      SPARC on a "desktop". One version of SunRay hardware will
                      run two 1920x1200 screens as a single large display. Not
                      a bad "desktop" display for 2-D stuff like satellite imagery.
                      Not so good for streaming movies or flash however.

                      Stuart
                    • Stuart Kreitman
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4, 2008
                        Stuart Biggar wrote:

                        > to x86 SunRay servers if ENVI/IDL ran on x86. However,
                        > I don't know if the Software OpenGL used for SunRays
                        > on SPARC works on x86 ...

                        It does not. OpenGL solutions for Sunray/x86 will come with Sunray/Xorg
                        for x86 and SPARC,
                        but I don't know release dates for that, only that its in progress.

                        Stuart Kreitman
                        Sun X server group
                      • John Martin
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5, 2008
                          Stuart Biggar wrote:

                          > We might shift
                          > to x86 SunRay servers if ENVI/IDL ran on x86. However,
                          > I don't know if the Software OpenGL used for SunRays
                          > on SPARC works on x86 ...
                          >

                          > .

                          Transitive's QuickTransit allows you to run SPARC OpenGL applications
                          on x86 with NVIDIA graphics, at least every SPARC OpenGL application
                          I've tried. However, I have only tried running directly on a x86 system,
                          not with the x86 SunRay server. I will try to do this soon.
                        • maybird1776
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 5, 2008
                            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

                            > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@>
                            wrote:

                            > > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Russell Aspinwall
                            > > <russell.aspinwall@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean
                            we
                            > will
                            > > > see Acrobat 7 or 8?
                            > > >
                            > > > --
                            > > > Regards
                            > > >
                            > > > Russell
                            > >
                            > > You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC
                            platforms.
                            > > You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the
                            latest
                            > > Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for
                            over
                            > > nine years now).
                            > >
                            > > - Ken Mays
                            > >
                            > Would talking to Adobe really do any good? if they are in some
                            > dreamland where people actually use SPARC on a desktop these days,
                            > they are too far gone from reality to convince them to produce an
                            x86
                            > version. Time to to give up on this...

                            Talking to Adobe? Why yes. But I'm sure a few Adobe elves have
                            changed in nine years, so we may have to push the boulder uphill once
                            again...

                            Dreamland? Well, I'm provoked to change that into reality now
                            <somewhat, maybe>...

                            Licenses and fees may apply.

                            ~ Ken
                          • pcsol1996
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 5, 2008
                              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Biggar" <stuart@...> wrote:

                              > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Would talking to Adobe really do any good? if they are in some
                              > > dreamland where people actually use SPARC on a desktop these days,
                              > > they are too far gone from reality to convince them to produce an x86
                              > > version. Time to to give up on this...
                              > >

                              > I guess I live in dreamland as we still use SPARCs at work
                              > as desktop machines. Really we use SunRays running on a
                              > large server as desktops. SunRays also run on Solaris x86
                              > but certain (expensive) apps we use are supported ONLY
                              > on SPARC Solaris (like the free Acrobat Reader 8). So we
                              > still use SPARC and display on "desktops". ENVI and IDL
                              > from RSI (now ITTVIS) and Matlab run on SPARC (or Windows
                              > and linux and ...) but not on Solaris x86. Note that we
                              > are using the large cache (not i) CPU SPARCs with a fair
                              > amount of ram and swap in the servers. We might shift
                              > to x86 SunRay servers if ENVI/IDL ran on x86. However,
                              > I don't know if the Software OpenGL used for SunRays
                              > on SPARC works on x86 ...
                              >
                              > Yes, I've written to Adobe, RSI and so on. I did get a
                              > reply from RSI (then owned by Kodak) but no x86 version
                              > yet. I'm not holding my breath waiting so we still use
                              > SPARC on a "desktop". One version of SunRay hardware will
                              > run two 1920x1200 screens as a single large display. Not
                              > a bad "desktop" display for 2-D stuff like satellite imagery.
                              > Not so good for streaming movies or flash however.
                              >
                              > Stuart

                              Of course I was exaggerating about the number of SPARC desktops, but
                              it is an insignificant number these days. Since all the software you
                              mentioned above runs on Linux, I am sure the vast majority went the PC
                              Linux route a long time ago...but even if it's SPARC I admire you for
                              sticking to your Solaris guns :)

                              If all we needed our meteorological workstations for were for
                              satellite/radar imagery, plotting obs..I could live with a current
                              SPARC workstation, but having to process huge computer model datasets
                              in a timely fashion and run scripts to produce output on the fly from
                              these datasets would take forever and a day (relative to current
                              AMD/Intel of course) on a SPARC...something I could not tolerate in a
                              frequently time critical environment.
                            • Russell Aspinwall
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 5, 2008
                                Hi Ken,

                                Yes, I know the hassle of trying to get Adobe to release a new PDF viewer.

                                maybird1776 wrote:

                                > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:solarisx86%40yahoogroups.com>, Russell Aspinwall
                                > <russell.aspinwall@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean we will
                                > > see Acrobat 7 or 8?
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > Regards
                                > >
                                > > Russell
                                >
                                > You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC platforms.
                                > You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the latest
                                > Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for over
                                > nine years now).
                                >
                                > - Ken Mays

                                Regards

                                Russell

                                Email: russell dot aspinwall at flomerics dot co dot uk
                                Network and Systems Administrator Flomerics Ltd
                                Telephone: 020-8941-8810 x3116 81 Bridge Road
                                Facsimile: 020-8941-8730 Hampton Court
                                Surrey, KT8 9HH
                                United Kingdom

                                For more information on Flomerics visit our web site at www.flomerics.com
                              • maybird1776
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 15, 2008
                                  Well, it seems a developer team over at Adobe are posting 'sticky
                                  notes' on their refrigerator blogs about Abobe Reader on Solaris x86.

                                  Wonder if Santa comes early this year? Too early to tell... but
                                  there is hope...

                                  See:
                                  http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2008/03/feature_requests_for_adobe_re
                                  a.html

                                  ~ Ken

                                  <russell.aspinwall@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Ken,
                                  >
                                  > Yes, I know the hassle of trying to get Adobe to release a new PDF
                                  viewer.

                                  > maybird1776 wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > <mailto:solarisx86%40yahoogroups.com>, Russell Aspinwall
                                  > > <russell.aspinwall@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > If Sun is compiling the Acrobat4 for Solaris 10 does this mean
                                  we will
                                  > > > see Acrobat 7 or 8?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --
                                  > > > Regards
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Russell
                                  > >
                                  > > You'll see Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for the Solaris 9/10 SPARC
                                  platforms.
                                  > > You'll want to talk to Adobe about Solaris x86 support for the
                                  latest
                                  > > Adobe Reader release (which has been in continual discussion for
                                  over
                                  > > nine years now).
                                  > >
                                  > > - Ken Mays
                                • Chris Ridd
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 15, 2008
                                    maybird1776 wrote:

                                    > Well, it seems a developer team over at Adobe are posting 'sticky
                                    > notes' on their refrigerator blogs about Abobe Reader on Solaris x86.
                                    >
                                    > Wonder if Santa comes early this year? Too early to tell... but
                                    > there is hope...
                                    >
                                    > See:
                                    > http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2008/03/feature_requests_for_adobe_re
                                    > <http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2008/03/feature_requests_for_adobe_re>
                                    > a.html

                                    Interesting. But evince (shipping with OpenSolaris, presumably Express
                                    too) is a good enough alternative for me.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Chris
                                  • Keith Bierman
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 15, 2008
                                      On May 15, 2008, at 9:25 AM 5/15/, Chris Ridd wrote:

                                      > Interesting. But evince (shipping with OpenSolaris, presumably Express
                                      > too) is a good enough alternative for me.

                                      Of course it has to be good enough for everyone you work with (viz.
                                      they don't use pdf annotations for markup, commenting, etc.).

                                      VirtualBox has "solved" that problem for me in OpenSolaris (I know,
                                      with hackery it can operate with S10). It's a heavyweight solution,
                                      so I do look forward to Adobe acting on this RFE too.

                                      --
                                      Keith H. Bierman khbkhb@... | AIM kbiermank
                                      5430 Nassau Circle East |
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 15, 2008
                                        Keith Bierman wrote:

                                        > On May 15, 2008, at 9:25 AM 5/15/, Chris Ridd wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Interesting. But evince (shipping with OpenSolaris, presumably Express
                                        > > too) is a good enough alternative for me.
                                        > >

                                        > Of course it has to be good enough for everyone you work with (viz.
                                        > they don't use pdf annotations for markup, commenting, etc.).

                                        Right.

                                        > VirtualBox has "solved" that problem for me in OpenSolaris (I know,
                                        > with hackery it can operate with S10). It's a heavyweight solution,
                                        > so I do look forward to Adobe acting on this RFE too.

                                        Also, the evince guys are looking at adding annotation support.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Chris
                                      • Mike Riley
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 15, 2008
                                          Chris Ridd wrote:
                                          > Keith Bierman wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >> On May 15, 2008, at 9:25 AM 5/15/, Chris Ridd wrote:
                                          >> >
                                          >> > Interesting. But evince (shipping with OpenSolaris, presumably Express
                                          >> > too) is a good enough alternative for me.
                                          >> >

                                          >> Of course it has to be good enough for everyone you work with (viz.
                                          >> they don't use pdf annotations for markup, commenting, etc.).
                                          >
                                          > Right.
                                          >
                                          >> VirtualBox has "solved" that problem for me in OpenSolaris (I know,
                                          >> with hackery it can operate with S10). It's a heavyweight solution,
                                          >> so I do look forward to Adobe acting on this RFE too.
                                          >
                                          > Also, the evince guys are looking at adding annotation support.

                                          I put a post on there saying that if they don't start offering it on all
                                          platforms products like Evince and Star Office will make the need for
                                          Distiller and Acroread disappear as they catch up to the newer features. It
                                          is the lack of availability that drives people to create the capability in
                                          other software they produce.

                                          Mike
                                        • Apostolos Syropoulos
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 15, 2008
                                            >I put a post on there saying that if they don't start offering it on all
                                            >platforms products like Evince and Star Office will make the need for
                                            >Distiller and Acroread disappear as they catch up to the newer features. It
                                            >is the lack of availability that drives people to create the capability in
                                            >other software they produce.

                                            Frankly I do prefer a better evince over Acrobat Reader. After all,
                                            evince can read both Postscript and PDF files and if properly configured
                                            it can read also DJVU files, which is a very common document format
                                            these days.

                                            A.S.
                                            *Apostolos Syropoulos *
                                            *snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00 Xanthi, HELLAS *
                                            *email : asyropoulos (at) yahoo (dot) com *
                                            *phone num.: +30-2541-028704 *
                                            *home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo *
                                            *blog : http://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/ *