Re: Service to enable to allow remote printing?

  • bernie10167098
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

      > Sorry for the dumb question but I don't mess with printing too much.
      > I have an old parallel port printer that I can't connect to our new
      > Ultra 40 M2 (no parallel port)...so I connect the printer to an older
      > backup box that does have a parallel port. I used remote printing
      > fine from the Ultra 40 M2 to the older box with the older box running
      > S10 U2. The old box recently died and I replaced it with another
      > running S10 U4. Now even though local printing works on the old box
      > the Ultra 40 M2 can't print through that box. When I installed S10 U4
      > on the old box that needs to be the print server I selected the
      > minimal services box during install...so I am assuming that there is a
      > service that needs to be started to allow this. As you can see below
      > I can ping the box, but lpstat says it can't see it:
      >
      > # ping 172.16.10.24
      > 172.16.10.24 is alive
      > # lpadmin -p hplj4000 -s 172.16.10.24
      > # lpadmin -d hplj4000
      > # lpstat -p hplj4000
      > printer hplj4000 faulted printing hplj4000-48. enabled since Jan 31
      > 15:45 2008. available.
      > server 172.16.10.24 not responding
      >
      > What service do I need to start on 172.16.10.24 so that it will
      > respond to remote print requests?

      The print service is probably running but not listening to external
      network requests. You probably need to reconfigure it as shown below:

      # inetadm -m svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default bind_addr=
      # svcadm refresh svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
      # svcadm restart svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default

      Bernie
    • pcsol1996
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008

        > The print service is probably running but not listening to external
        > network requests. You probably need to reconfigure it as shown below:
        >
        > # inetadm -m svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default bind_addr=
        > # svcadm refresh svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
        > # svcadm restart svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
        >
        > Bernie

        Thanks a bunch to you and Laurent. I will give those a go.
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
          pcsol1996 a écrit :
          >> The print service is probably running but not listening to external
          >> network requests. You probably need to reconfigure it as shown below:
          >>
          >> # inetadm -m svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default bind_addr=
          >> # svcadm refresh svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
          >> # svcadm restart svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
          >>
          >> Bernie
          >>
          > Thanks a bunch to you and Laurent. I will give those a go.

          Bernie's post is most interesting, it must be another effect of
          netservices(1M), that was introduced in U3. Secure by default, and many
          services are now only listening on localhost by default.
          I knew sendmail, I discovered rpcbind this week, and now the print
          system. It's good to see, just a lottle bit disturbing :-)

          / Leader de Projet & Communauté | I'm working, but not speaking for
          \ G11N http://fr.opensolaris.org | Bull Services http://www.bull.com
          / FOSUG http://guses.org |
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
            In message <47A33438.4060309@...>, Laurent Blume writes:
            >Bernie's post is most interesting, it must be another effect of
            >netservices(1M), that was introduced in U3. Secure by default, and many

            Glenn Brunette's blog was helpful:
            <URL:http://blogs.sun.com/gbrunett/tags/secure-by-default>

          • pcsol1996
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Blume <laurent@...> wrote:

              > pcsol1996 a écrit :
              > >> The print service is probably running but not listening to external
              > >> network requests. You probably need to reconfigure it as shown
              below:

              > >> # inetadm -m svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default bind_addr=
              > >> # svcadm refresh svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
              > >> # svcadm restart svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default
              > >>
              > >> Bernie
              > >>
              > > Thanks a bunch to you and Laurent. I will give those a go.
              >
              > Bernie's post is most interesting, it must be another effect of
              > netservices(1M), that was introduced in U3. Secure by default, and many
              > services are now only listening on localhost by default.
              > I knew sendmail, I discovered rpcbind this week, and now the print
              > system. It's good to see, just a lottle bit disturbing :-)

              That explains why sendmail isn't working either on all the boxes I
              upgraded. Since the S10 U2 was working fine I did not worry about
              it..now that it's dead that's my next problem(fortunately sendmail
              isn't critical until later this year). Sun really need to mention
              that somewhere in the install.
            • pcsol1996
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@...> wrote:

                > In message <47A33438.4060309@...>, Laurent Blume writes:
                > >Bernie's post is most interesting, it must be another effect of
                > >netservices(1M), that was introduced in U3. Secure by default, and many
                >
                > Glenn Brunette's blog was helpful:
                > <URL:http://blogs.sun.com/gbrunett/tags/secure-by-default>
                >
                > John
                > groenveld@...

                Thanks for the link.
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                  pcsol1996 a écrit :
                  > That explains why sendmail isn't working either on all the boxes I
                  > upgraded. Since the S10 U2 was working fine I did not worry about
                  > it..now that it's dead that's my next problem(fortunately sendmail
                  > isn't critical until later this year). Sun really need to mention
                  > that somewhere in the install.

                  It is quite well explained IMHO. You have to tick a box to get in that
                  state (it is not the default), and there's a blurb about it.
                  Admittedly, one tends to underestimate it, but nowadays, there's really
                  no open service after install, except ssh. Just, we're too used to have
                  Solaris open for everyone to poke in.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                    --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Blume <laurent@...> wrote:

                    > pcsol1996 a écrit :
                    > > That explains why sendmail isn't working either on all the boxes I
                    > > upgraded. Since the S10 U2 was working fine I did not worry about
                    > > it..now that it's dead that's my next problem(fortunately sendmail
                    > > isn't critical until later this year). Sun really need to mention
                    > > that somewhere in the install.
                    >
                    > It is quite well explained IMHO. You have to tick a box to get in that
                    > state (it is not the default), and there's a blurb about it.
                    > Admittedly, one tends to underestimate it, but nowadays, there's really
                    > no open service after install, except ssh. Just, we're too used to have
                    > Solaris open for everyone to poke in.

                    I don't think (I am doing text installs--not the GUI installs) the
                    blurb explains that some services are running, but not listening for
                    external requests. I pulled my hair out for 3 days on sendmail before
                    I just gave up and moved on since it wasn't critical then.

                    All the blurb says is that you can turn some services back on that you
                    want. It should say sendmail/remote printing...won't be listening
                    externally.
                  • pcsol1996
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

                      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Blume <laurent@> wrote:
                      This is linked to in the blog link that John G. posted:

                      http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/security/projects/sbd/sbd_design/

                      Very enlightening as well.
                    • pcsol1996
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@...> wrote:

                        > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "pcsol1996" <rrm_1996@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Blume <laurent@> wrote:
                        > This is linked to in the blog link that John G. posted:

                        http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/security/projects/sbd/sbd_design/

                        > Very enlightening as well.

                        All I would suggest is that this:

                        "Note: Selecting "No" provides a more secure configuration in which
                        Secure Shell is the only network service provided to remote clients.
                        Selecting "Yes" enables a larger set of services as in previous
                        Solarisreleases. If in doubt, it is safe to select "No" as any
                        services can be individually enabled after installation."

                        Be modified so that it says something to the effect that some services
                        with SBD are enabled but listening internally only. Then maybe say
                        that after install you can read this file..blah, blah, to turn them on
                        for external listening. I really, really like SBD otherwise. I hated
                        going in and manually turning all that stuff off every time.
                      • S A M
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                          Hi group I have just installed sol 10 on my laptop HP nx6120.

                          I just wanted to know anybody knows how to install globe trotter option edge
                          data card on it.

                          SAM

                        • Eric Bautsch
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                            The one that presents as USB will work, the one that requires the nozomi
                            driver on linux (3G+) will not.

                            HTH
                            Eric

                            S A M wrote:

                            > Hi group I have just installed sol 10 on my laptop HP nx6120.
                            >
                            > I just wanted to know anybody knows how to install globe trotter
                            > option edge
                            > data card on it.
                            >
                            > SAM

                            ____
                            / . Eric A. Bautsch
                            /-- __ ___ ______________________________________
                            / / / / /
                            (_____/____(___(__________________/ email: eric.bautsch@...

                          • S A M
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                              Same datacrd works on fedora 8 without nozomi

                              But comgt is still required

                              _____

                              S A M wrote:

                              > Hi group I have just installed sol 10 on my laptop HP nx6120.
                              >
                              > I just wanted to know anybody knows how to install globe trotter
                              > option edge
                              > data card on it.
                              >
                              > SAM

                              ____
                              / . Eric A. Bautsch
                              /-- __ ___ ______________________________________
                              / / / / /
                              (_____/____(___(__________________/ email: eric.bautsch@
                              <mailto:eric.bautsch%40pobox.com> pobox.com

                            • Shaw, Kevin
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                All,

                                I need to build a number of Solaris 10 0807 systems very soon and I
                                don't have time to
                                setup PXE. Can an auto install be accomplished using a Solaris 10 0807
                                DVD and a
                                floppy? I seem to recall that this would work in earlier versions of
                                Solaris. Can anyone
                                tall me what exactly needs to be on the floppy to make this work?

                                TIA
                                -Kevin

                                -Kevin

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  Hi Kevin,

                                  yes, auto install(jumpstart) can be used with a DVD media. Take a look at
                                  the docs:

                                  http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5778/jumpstartoverview-4?l=en&q=jumpstart&a=view

                                  In the docs it talks about the rules file and the profile that must be on
                                  the floppy to initiate and run the Jumpstart installation.

                                  Regards,
                                  sarah
                                  ****

                                • sol11x86@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    From: "Shaw, Kevin" <kevin.shaw@...>
                                    > All,
                                    >
                                    > I need to build a number of Solaris 10 0807 systems very soon and I
                                    > don't have time to
                                    > setup PXE. Can an auto install be accomplished using a Solaris 10 0807
                                    > DVD and a
                                    > floppy? I seem to recall that this would work in earlier versions of
                                    > Solaris. Can anyone
                                    > tall me what exactly needs to be on the floppy to make this work?

                                    JET automatically sets up PXE if you tell it to. Unless you can't control
                                    the local DHCP server, I think it's a whole *lot* more work to try and
                                    jumpstart from a DVD or floppy.

                                  • Shaw, Kevin
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      I setup our jumpstart server long ago and also built the configuration
                                      to build Solaris 8 X86 over the network using bootp. I'm in a crunch
                                      and had hoped that someone would share info to help me expedite
                                      this process.

                                      Thanks for the tip on JET.

                                      Which DHCP server should I use? Sun's version or ISCP?

                                      -Kevin

                                      ________________________________

                                      > I need to build a number of Solaris 10 0807 systems very soon and I
                                      > don't have time to
                                      > setup PXE. Can an auto install be accomplished using a Solaris 10 0807
                                      > DVD and a
                                      > floppy? I seem to recall that this would work in earlier versions of
                                      > Solaris. Can anyone
                                      > tall me what exactly needs to be on the floppy to make this work?

                                      JET automatically sets up PXE if you tell it to. Unless you can't
                                      control
                                      the local DHCP server, I think it's a whole *lot* more work to try and
                                      jumpstart from a DVD or floppy.

                                    • Al Hopper
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Shaw, Kevin wrote:

                                        > I setup our jumpstart server long ago and also built the configuration
                                        > to build Solaris 8 X86 over the network using bootp. I'm in a crunch
                                        > and had hoped that someone would share info to help me expedite
                                        > this process.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the tip on JET.
                                        >
                                        > Which DHCP server should I use? Sun's version or ISCP?

                                        Hi Kevin,

                                        You can use my "ZFS boot" procedure here:

                                        http://sol10frominnerspace.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

                                        and just ignore the sections specific to ZFS boot. There's a link in
                                        there to a series of screen-by-screen guides to setting up Suns DHCP.
                                        You should be able to get this setup for your first PXE boot in about
                                        15 minutes.

                                        This does *not* result in a hands off install - but its a good deal
                                        faster than a silly DVD. And you could be installing to several
                                        machines simultaneously since you only need 3 or 4 minutes of human
                                        interaction on each machine to get the install started. Of course
                                        this is no good if you have a large number of machines to install.

                                        Email me if you have any questions.

                                        Regards,

                                        Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al@...
                                        Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134 Timezone: US CDT
                                        OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
                                        http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/
                                      • sol11x86@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          From: "Shaw, Kevin" <kevin.shaw@...>
                                          > I setup our jumpstart server long ago and also built the configuration
                                          > to build Solaris 8 X86 over the network using bootp. I'm in a crunch
                                          > and had hoped that someone would share info to help me expedite
                                          > this process.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks for the tip on JET.
                                          >
                                          > Which DHCP server should I use? Sun's version or ISCP?

                                          JET is well integrated with the Sun DHCP server, since it has
                                          command line instructions for adding and removing hosts from
                                          the DHCP tables. I've heard that someone hacked something
                                          up for ISC DHCP, but because it's completely config file driven,
                                          it's very difficult to integrate JET and ISC DHCP.

                                          Ben

                                          > -Kevin
                                          >
                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Alex Smith (K4RNT)
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            You may want to try out the Ultimate Deployment Appliance - it's a turnkey
                                            VMware appliance that provides Jumpstart capability with PXE booting for
                                            multiple operating systems, including Solaris x86.

                                            http://www.ultimatedeployment.org/

                                            --
                                            " ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the
                                            first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all

                                          • Marc Lobelle
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 27, 2008
                                              S A M wrote:
                                              > Hi group I have just installed sol 10 on my laptop HP nx6120.
                                              >

                                              > I just wanted to know anybody knows how to install globe trotter option edge
                                              > data card on it.
                                              >

                                              > SAM

                                              hello,

                                              I tried to insert an option Globetrotter GT MAX 7.2 READY card in
                                              solaris and a set of devices were created in /dev/cfg, /dev/usb,
                                              /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

                                              in /dev/usb, there are 2 new hubs, hub4 and hub5 and some mas-storage
                                              and a directory called af0.6751/0/ that includes devices.

                                              Can this be used by solaris10 ? them how. the manufacture says it can be
                                              used like a modem, but I do not see any new serial device.

                                              Thanks

                                              Marc
                                            • Ben Taylor
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 27, 2008
                                                On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Marc Lobelle <ml@...> wrote:

                                                > S A M wrote:
                                                > > Hi group I have just installed sol 10 on my laptop HP nx6120.
                                                > >

                                                > > I just wanted to know anybody knows how to install globe trotter option
                                                > edge
                                                > > data card on it.
                                                > >

                                                > > SAM
                                                >
                                                > hello,
                                                >
                                                > I tried to insert an option Globetrotter GT MAX 7.2 READY card in
                                                > solaris and a set of devices were created in /dev/cfg, /dev/usb,
                                                > /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk
                                                >
                                                > in /dev/usb, there are 2 new hubs, hub4 and hub5 and some mas-storage
                                                > and a directory called af0.6751/0/ that includes devices.
                                                >
                                                > Can this be used by solaris10 ? them how. the manufacture says it can be
                                                > used like a modem, but I do not see any new serial device.

                                                It sounds like the drivers from http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/wwan/
                                                might work, though I don't know if they work on Solaris 10.

                                                I am using the that driver on B83a of Solaris Express (it was integrated
                                                some time ago) and it works like a charm with my Pantech PX-500 on
                                                Sprints network.

                                                I had to figure out what information to put in the dialer, but once I did that
                                                it just worked. If you can use the driver, you might want to google for
                                                the card and see how folks configured in Linux for other config settings.

                                                HTH,

                                                Ben
                                              • Marc Lobelle
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                                  Ben Taylor wrote:

                                                  >> I tried to insert an option Globetrotter GT MAX 7.2 READY card in
                                                  >> solaris and a set of devices were created in /dev/cfg, /dev/usb,
                                                  >> /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk
                                                  >>
                                                  >> in /dev/usb, there are 2 new hubs, hub4 and hub5 and some mas-storage
                                                  >> and a directory called af0.6751/0/ that includes devices.

                                                  by looking at the outpout of prtconf -v, it appears that af0 is the
                                                  vendor id and 6751, the product id of this Option card. The devices
                                                  included in this directory are called cntrl0, cntrl0stat, devstat,
                                                  if0in4, if0in4stat, if0out5 and if0out5stat. They all point towards
                                                  things in /devices....storage@1:af0.6751.cntrl0 etc.
                                                  That looks like io registers

                                                  That thing is announced to also look like a regular modem. Apparently
                                                  SOLARIS10 did not find this modem.

                                                  I also tried an older option card (pcmcia, not pccard): the pcser
                                                  drivers finds it but if I try to "tip" it it waits alittle then says
                                                  "link down" and tip stops.

                                                  Any idea ?

                                                  Marc