Re: pcfs card fails to mount - Was Re: Can't restart after installation

  • Mike Riley
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 1, 2008
      Stuart Biggar wrote:
      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Several pcfs improvements went into build 72 I believe. This would
      > improve
      >> your experience with flash memory drives, etc. Plus lots of various
      > bug
      >> fixes and feature improvements, not all of which would be important
      > for a
      >> desktop. You would have to look at the info on the Solaris Express
      > web site
      >> that has all the details.
      >>
      >> Mike
      >>

      > Mike,
      >
      > pcfs may be improved but I find at least one device that works
      > fine in a fully patched install of Solaris 10 Update 4 that
      > fails to mount in snv_78. I have a Hagiware sys-com ExpressCard
      > Compact Flash/Microdrive Adapter (HAD-EX5CF01) which works fine
      > with a SanDisk Ultra 512 MB CF card in S10U4 (a CDE file manager
      > window opens when it is inserted). I can copy to/from it from
      > the command line, etc. However, in Nevada, it doesn't mount.
      >
      > A Lacie USB connected hard disk works fine in both S10U4 and
      > snv_78 so it appears the USB stack which the ExpressCard adapter
      > uses is working in both S10U4 and snv_78.
      >
      > From S10U4 prtconf -D:
      >
      > pci1014,565, instance #0 (driver name: uhci)
      > pci1014,565, instance #1 (driver name: uhci)
      > pci1014,565, instance #2 (driver name: uhci)
      > pci1014,565, instance #3 (driver name: uhci)
      > pci1014,566, instance #0 (driver name: ehci)
      > storage, instance #1 (driver name: scsa2usb)
      > disk, instance #1 (driver name: sd)
      > pci8086,2448, instance #0 (driver name: pci_pci)
      > pci1014,56c, instance #0 (driver name: pcic)
      > pcs, instance #0 (driver name: pcs)
      > pci8086,1010, instance #0 (driver name: iwi)
      > pci1014,567, instance #0 (driver name: audio810)
      >
      > [t43p:/rmdisk]# ls -l
      > total 34
      > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root nobody 10 Dec 31 09:11 rmdisk0 ->
      > ./sd_512_u/
      > drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16384 Dec 31 1969 sd_512_u/
      > [t43p:/rmdisk]# df -k sd_512_u
      > Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
      > /vol/dev/dsk/c0t0d0/sd_512_u:c
      > 499672 469896 29776 95% /rmdisk/sd_512_u
      >
      > The cf card does not show up under /media in snv_78 where
      > the USB Hard disk (Lacie enclosure) does. mount also does
      > not show it mounted.
      >
      > Any suggestions on how to get it to mount? (I've also posted to
      > the laptop discussion on OpenSolaris.)
      >
      > Stuart

      Is it showing up in prtconf under snv_78 as a storage device?

      If it is then you may have run into a pcfs issue. One of the changes was to
      the code that validates the pcfs volume as legitimate. Several
      manufacturers violated the spec. We let in a few common ones, but others
      may end up being rejected. If that is the case here then doing a new fdisk
      on it would resolve the issue.

      Can you send me an image of the device? The best way I have found is to
      create a large file full of 0s, remove it, then take the image and compress it:

      # dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/gigo
      # rm /mnt/gigo
      # dd if=/dev/rdsk/c?d?t?p0 of=/var/tmp/image.dd
      # compress /var/tmp/image.dd

      This gets the best compression I have found for a device. Better than zip
      can do by far, assuming the device is not that full. My test images of
      empty 4GB volumes are just a few hundred K in size.

      Mike
    • rsredy
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 1, 2008
        > Go get a reasonably recent, used NVidia card (AGP or PCI, based on
        > your Motherboard, such as the FX5x00 series or the 6x00) I can vouch
        > for the the FX5200/5500/5700, 6200 and 6600GT cards. And those cards
        > are *worlds* faster than that antique you're using.

        I am really not interested in buying anything right now and speed isn't
        an issue while trying to learn Unix. I am going to take a look at
        Linux. (Antiques are welcome there.) It looks like I will be able to
        use the video, lan and audio that is on the MB.
      • John Martin
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 1, 2008
          sol11x86@... wrote:

          > From: "rsredy" <rsredy@... <mailto:rsredy%40yahoo.com>>
          > > >
          > > > Is this an installation issue, as the last message indicated or post
          > > > install?
          > > > The nvidia driver has never been used during installation. No nvidia
          > > > driver we ever shipped with Solaris should have worked with your card,
          > > > unless it did so by accident.
          > > >

          > > This is an installation issue. The video card in question has the
          > > nVidia Riva TNT2 64 chipset. The nVidia Riva TNT2 32 is on the HCL.
          > > (See:
          > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/components/details/284.html
          > <http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/components/details/284.html>)
          >

          > .

          It isn't unsupported, it's just not supported by the 96xx legacy NVIDIA
          driver.
          Other people have the Riva TNT2 boards working with the nv driver,
          but they seem to be a bit flakey about detecting EDID. The contents of
          /var/log/Xorg.0.log might be useful in debugging this problem.
        • Stuart Biggar
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:

            > Is it showing up in prtconf under snv_78 as a storage device?

            Looks like it is recognized as a disk device (prtconf -D):

            pci1014,566, instance #0 (driver name: ehci)
            storage, instance #1 (driver name: scsa2usb)
            disk, instance #1 (driver name: sd)
            pci8086,2448, instance #0 (driver name: pci_pci)

            It doesn't automatically mount on /media like the USB hard disk
            does. I can however issue a mount command as root and mount it:

            # rmformat -l
            Looking for devices...
            1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0
            Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci1014,566@1d,7/storage@7/disk@0,0
            Connected Device: HAGIWARA CF Card Adapter 1.00
            Device Type: Removable
            Bus: USB
            Size: 488.7 MB
            Label: <None>
            Access permissions: Medium is not write protected.
            # mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1 /mnt
            # cd /mnt
            # ls

            ls shows all the directories and files appropriately.

            > If it is then you may have run into a pcfs issue. One of the
            changes was to
            > the code that validates the pcfs volume as legitimate. Several
            > manufacturers violated the spec. We let in a few common ones, but
            others
            > may end up being rejected. If that is the case here then doing a
            new fdisk
            > on it would resolve the issue.

            I haven't tried a fdisk yet. Running fstyp per instructions from
            a contributor on the OpenSolaris laptop discussion list shows that
            fstype in Nevada doesn't recognize the drive. I get:

            # fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0
            unknown_fstyp (no matches)
            # fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0:1
            unknown_fstyp (no matches)
            # fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0:2
            unknown_fstyp (partition not found)

            > Can you send me an image of the device? The best way I have found
            is to
            > create a large file full of 0s, remove it, then take the image and
            compress it:

            > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/gigo
            > # rm /mnt/gigo
            > # dd if=/dev/rdsk/c?d?t?p0 of=/var/tmp/image.dd
            > # compress /var/tmp/image.dd

            I assume this is done on /mnt after I mount the cf card on
            /mnt?

            Thanks for your help.

            Stuart

            > This gets the best compression I have found for a device. Better
            than zip
            > can do by far, assuming the device is not that full. My test images of
            > empty 4GB volumes are just a few hundred K in size.
            >
            > Mike

          • Mike Riley
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
              Stuart Biggar wrote:
              > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Is it showing up in prtconf under snv_78 as a storage device?
              >>

              > Looks like it is recognized as a disk device (prtconf -D):
              >
              > pci1014,566, instance #0 (driver name: ehci)
              > storage, instance #1 (driver name: scsa2usb)
              > disk, instance #1 (driver name: sd)
              > pci8086,2448, instance #0 (driver name: pci_pci)
              >
              > It doesn't automatically mount on /media like the USB hard disk
              > does. I can however issue a mount command as root and mount it:
              >
              > # rmformat -l
              > Looking for devices...
              > 1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0
              > Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci1014,566@1d,7/storage@7/disk@0,0
              > Connected Device: HAGIWARA CF Card Adapter 1.00
              > Device Type: Removable
              > Bus: USB
              > Size: 488.7 MB
              > Label: <None>
              > Access permissions: Medium is not write protected.
              > # mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1 /mnt
              > # cd /mnt
              > # ls
              >
              > ls shows all the directories and files appropriately.
              >
              >> If it is then you may have run into a pcfs issue. One of the
              > changes was to
              >> the code that validates the pcfs volume as legitimate. Several
              >> manufacturers violated the spec. We let in a few common ones, but
              > others
              >> may end up being rejected. If that is the case here then doing a
              > new fdisk
              >> on it would resolve the issue.
              >>

              > I haven't tried a fdisk yet. Running fstyp per instructions from
              > a contributor on the OpenSolaris laptop discussion list shows that
              > fstype in Nevada doesn't recognize the drive. I get:
              >
              > # fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0
              > unknown_fstyp (no matches)
              > # fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0:1
              > unknown_fstyp (no matches)
              > # fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0:2
              > unknown_fstyp (partition not found)
              >
              >> Can you send me an image of the device? The best way I have found
              > is to
              >> create a large file full of 0s, remove it, then take the image and
              > compress it:
              >> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/gigo
              >> # rm /mnt/gigo
              >> # dd if=/dev/rdsk/c?d?t?p0 of=/var/tmp/image.dd
              >> # compress /var/tmp/image.dd
              >>

              > I assume this is done on /mnt after I mount the cf card on
              > /mnt?

              I was just using /mnt as my example. So substitute /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0 for
              the /dev/rdsk/c?d?t?p0 in my example for dd and send me the image file. I
              will take a look at it and see about getting a bug filed with the image file
              attached.

              I might be able to find out why it is not being recognized automatically
              fairly quickly.

              Mike
            • Stuart Biggar
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:

                > I was just using /mnt as my example. So substitute
                /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0 for
                > the /dev/rdsk/c?d?t?p0 in my example for dd and send me the image
                file. I
                > will take a look at it and see about getting a bug filed with the
                image file
                > attached.
                >
                > I might be able to find out why it is not being recognized
                automatically
                > fairly quickly.
                >
                > Mike

                Mike,

                I sent email with an attached file after I followed the steps you
                outlined. I hope private email to you at sun.com is OK.

                Stuart
              • Mike Riley
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Stuart Biggar wrote:
                  > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> I was just using /mnt as my example. So substitute
                  > /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0 for
                  >> the /dev/rdsk/c?d?t?p0 in my example for dd and send me the image
                  > file. I
                  >> will take a look at it and see about getting a bug filed with the
                  > image file
                  >> attached.
                  >>
                  >> I might be able to find out why it is not being recognized
                  > automatically
                  >> fairly quickly.
                  >>
                  >> Mike
                  >>

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > I sent email with an attached file after I followed the steps you
                  > outlined. I hope private email to you at sun.com is OK.
                  >
                  > Stuart

                  Yes, that is what I wanted. Attachments don't work through the group.

                  I will try and look at it tomorrow.

                  Mike