Re: [solarisx86] Persistent binding of devices in Solaris 10 x86_64

  • Adrian Saul
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
      How do you mean it remembers the previous file name?

      Do you man /dev/changers/<dev> stays for the removed device and that the
      new entry is the next device? Can I ask why it is a problem other than
      purely cosmetic naming?

      Its certainly possible to fix - just change the symlinks in /dev.

      FWIW I think the persistant naming in Solaris is one of its most admin
      friendly features. You dont have to worry that rebooting the box will
      cause your tape devices to suddenly reorder because a silo was playing
      up, or that booting with a USB device attached causes a panic because
      your SCSI disks are out of order (*cough* damn linux *cough*)....

      Nirmal B wrote:

      > I am trying to configure tape library robotics with
      > Solaris 10 x86_64. It works fine for the first time.
      > Then if I connect another tape library, the OS seems
      > to remember the previous device file name even if I do
      > a kernel reconfiguration boot.
      >
      > Do I have to delete the old /devices entry for tape
      > library robotics (media changer)? Or just deleting the
      > corresponding entry in /etc/path_to_inst file would be
      > ok before the kernel reconfiguration?
      >
      > I was trying with devfsadm -C (for cleanup) which
      > didn't seem to work fine with physical devices.

      > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/ <http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/>

    • Nirmal B
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
        I forgot to mention that the /devices entry for the
        new medium changer (second one) does not get created.
        I need to know the device file name (in /devices/...
        format) for the second media changer to change the
        symlink in /dev. There is only one physical device
        reference in /devices which is that of the first media
        changer. I have disconnected it and don't want to use
        it for the time being.

        So, the question is do I have to remove the old
        /devices/... files of the first changer (using rm) or
        just the corresponding entry in /etc/path_to_inst file
        or both before doing a kernel reconfiguration boot? Is
        this the recommended procedure or should I use
        devfsadm with a cleanup option? Can anyone clarify
        this?

        Persistent binding is a useful feature indeed. But if
        this is what is meant by persistent binding, I will
        have to disable this feature in my case --- just to
        get Solaris x86 forget about the previous device and
        create physical device files for the new device.

        --- Adrian Saul <asaul@...> wrote:

        > How do you mean it remembers the previous file name?
        >
        > Do you man /dev/changers/<dev> stays for the removed
        > device and that the
        > new entry is the next device? Can I ask why it is a
        > problem other than
        > purely cosmetic naming?
        >
        > Its certainly possible to fix - just change the
        > symlinks in /dev.
        >
        > FWIW I think the persistant naming in Solaris is one
        > of its most admin
        > friendly features. You dont have to worry that
        > rebooting the box will
        > cause your tape devices to suddenly reorder because
        > a silo was playing
        > up, or that booting with a USB device attached
        > causes a panic because
        > your SCSI disks are out of order (*cough* damn linux
        > *cough*)....
        >

        > Nirmal B wrote:
        > >

        > > I am trying to configure tape library robotics
        > with
        > > Solaris 10 x86_64. It works fine for the first
        > time.
        > > Then if I connect another tape library, the OS
        > seems
        > > to remember the previous device file name even if
        > I do
        > > a kernel reconfiguration boot.
        > >
        > > Do I have to delete the old /devices entry for
        > tape
        > > library robotics (media changer)? Or just deleting
        > the
        > > corresponding entry in /etc/path_to_inst file
        > would be
        > > ok before the kernel reconfiguration?
        > >
        > > I was trying with devfsadm -C (for cleanup) which
        > > didn't seem to work fine with physical devices.

        > > Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you
        > sell.
        > > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
        > <http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/>

        Got a little couch potato?
      • Adrian Saul
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
          No, there is no need to remove the old device to populate a new one.

          What is the old device path, and what do you expect the new one to be?