Re: [solarisx86] Re: DCHP eventhook workaround

  • J.D. Bronson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2007
      At 01:03 AM 05/01/2007, you wrote:
      > > This didnt show anything helpful ironically and just hung.
      > > agentout was full of truss info but again, nothing of value.
      > >
      > > Heck, I appreciate the help - but at least my solution worked.
      >
      >it would be nice to figure out what the defect is, just so others who
      >might run into this might be helped by google... (since yahoo search
      >blows serious chunks). Since it is supposed to print debug statements
      >when getting a release and a config and you are seeing nothing, could
      >it possibly be that you installed solaris in "secure" mode and that
      >ipfilter may be stripping out the bootp packets somehow?
      >
      >-r

      I do run in secure mode, but from what I had gathered that basically
      shuts off un-needed services an what not.

      Talking with a few people from Sun, they can't seem to duplicate this
      while I can and rather consistently.

      It really doesn't matter anymore as my solution is actually better (I
      think) and can be cron'd if needed.

      -JD
    • rogerfujii
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2007
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@...> wrote:

        > At 01:03 AM 05/01/2007, you wrote:
        > >Since it is supposed to print debug statements
        > >when getting a release and a config and you are seeing nothing, could
        > >it possibly be that you installed solaris in "secure" mode and that
        > >ipfilter may be stripping out the bootp packets somehow?
        >
        > I do run in secure mode, but from what I had gathered that basically
        > shuts off un-needed services an what not.

        I'm 90% sure (it's been a while + don't have a spare machine to
        install solaris on at this sec to verify), that secure mode *also*
        sets ipfilter up where it is blocking most of the ports. A quick
        look in /etc/ipf/ipf.conf (look for lines with the word "block") will
        confirm this. If ports 67/68 are blocked, well, you know where the
        problem was (curious why the compiled version works. Maybe it
        inserts itself as a stream device before ipf..)

        -r