Re: patchdiag.xref

  • mpaul888
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "mpaul888" <martin@...> wrote:
      > There is a new version available. A few things I noticed:

      Update: The empty date fields, the missing 'O' flags and the
      wrong timestamp in the header of the xref file have been fixed
      in the current version of the file.

      Thanks to whoever was involved in repairing this!

      mp.
    • Mike Riley
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
        mpaul888 wrote:
        > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "mpaul888" <martin@...> wrote:
        >> There is a new version available. A few things I noticed:
        >
        > Update: The empty date fields, the missing 'O' flags and the
        > wrong timestamp in the header of the xref file have been fixed
        > in the current version of the file.
        >
        > Thanks to whoever was involved in repairing this!
        >
        > mp.

        I reported it to them yesterday. Can I assume this was PCA you were using?

        I was told that the last Sun product that uses this file is scheduled to be
        EOL'd in December. I take any such schedule as an advisory, but be aware that
        it might be going away. As an example I give you access1.sun.com, which has
        been supposed to go away for about 5 years now.

        I have suggested that my contact in the group that handles various patch
        utilities join the group here. I am sure he would be a benefit to the group and
        the feedback would be useful in his work on patch services.

        Mike
      • Bruce Riddle
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
          Mike Riley wrote:
          > mpaul888 wrote:
          >
          >>--- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "mpaul888" <martin@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>>There is a new version available. A few things I noticed:
          >>
          >>Update: The empty date fields, the missing 'O' flags and the
          >>wrong timestamp in the header of the xref file have been fixed
          >>in the current version of the file.
          >>
          >>Thanks to whoever was involved in repairing this!
          >>
          >>mp.
          >

          > I reported it to them yesterday. Can I assume this was PCA you were using?
          >
          > I was told that the last Sun product that uses this file is scheduled to be
          > EOL'd in December. I take any such schedule as an advisory, but be aware that
          > it might be going away. As an example I give you access1.sun.com, which has
          > been supposed to go away for about 5 years now.
          >
          > I have suggested that my contact in the group that handles various patch
          > utilities join the group here. I am sure he would be a benefit to the group and
          > the feedback would be useful in his work on patch services.

          The patchdiag.xref going would be shamefull. I look forward to engaging
          with said contact. I would actually propose enhancing it; Solaris is "open", what did I miss?
          The proffiteers are getting in the way of engineering again, take away their kool-aid!

          You did warn him of the signal to noise ratio of this list? ;-)
        • mpaul888
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2007
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riley <michael.riley@...> wrote:
            > I reported it to them yesterday.

            I now got a reply to my sunsolve feedback query, too. The
            explanation for the "Recommended" flags going away is that
            those are old patches which will be EOL'd and removed from
            the xref file, BTW.

            > Can I assume this was PCA you were using?

            Sure :) But I'm also diff'ing yesterday's xref file versus
            today's daily, to make sure I don't miss any peculiarities.

            > I was told that the last Sun product that uses this file is
            > scheduled to be EOL'd in December. I take any such schedule
            > as an advisory, but be aware that it might be going away. As an
            > example I give you access1.sun.com, which has been supposed to
            > go away for about 5 years now.

            Thanks for the warning. If patchdiag.xref goes away, PCA will
            be dead, too. So I hope this doesn't actually happen.

            > I have suggested that my contact in the group that handles
            > various patch utilities join the group here. I am sure he
            > would be a benefit to the group and the feedback would be
            > useful in his work on patch services.

            That would be great. Personally I'd prefer the comp.unix.solaris
            Usenet group (as it's not an x86 specific topic), but I'll be
            happy about any means of communicating with someone from the patch
            tools team.

            Thanks again,

            mp.
          • Mike Riley
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2007
              Bruce Riddle wrote:
              > The patchdiag.xref going would be shamefull. I look forward to engaging
              > with said contact. I would actually propose enhancing it; Solaris is "open", what did I miss?
              > The proffiteers are getting in the way of engineering again, take away their kool-aid!

              I had the same thought. If it is replaced then the replacement should be
              documented in an open fashion.

              Mike
            • Matt Banks
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3 4:27 PM
                Just a heads up... It looks like Sun changed things again. If you're
                using PCA, you might have some problems. It seems with the changes in
                sunsolve, the patchdiag.xref file isn't where it used to be, but
                rather is at http://sunsolve.sun.com/patchdiag.xref. I let Martin
                know about it, but if you have a need to use it before he gets around
                to updating it, you can simply change the location of the file to
                reflect that change. (aka change the get_current_xref subroutine to
                "http://$o{sshost}/patchdiag.xref".)

                The good news? It looks like patchdiag.xref no longer requires a
                sunsolve login to download it. I just got it using an unauthenticated
                wget...
                matt
              • mpaul888
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 7 12:42 AM
                  --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Matt Banks <mattbanks@...> wrote:

                  > Just a heads up... It looks like Sun changed things again. If you're
                  > using PCA, you might have some problems. It seems with the changes in
                  > sunsolve, the patchdiag.xref file isn't where it used to be, but
                  > rather is at http://sunsolve.sun.com/patchdiag.xref.

                  Actually the link used in pca still works, but it seems as if the
                  above link is more reliable - unlike the official link it always
                  delivered the most current release of patchdiag.xref in the last few
                  days. I have now changed the development release (20080307-01) to try
                  the http://sunsolve.sun.com/patchdiag.xref URL before the official URL
                  (pdownload.do?...).

                  Martin.