Re: Panic installing b60

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Chris Ridd <chris.ridd@...> wrote:

      > On 31/3/07 8:47, "palowoda" <palowoda@...> wrote:
      >
      > > That is when they changed the kernel bootstrap for Xen.
      >
      > Darn.
      >
      > > You think you have it bad my laptop doesn't even panic it turns
      the power off.
      > > Kind of makes it hard to debug.
      >
      > :-) At least I get a stack trace.
      >
      > > Anyways the problem seems to be very early when the kernel inits.
      Maybe
      > > something to do with ACPI but that's a guess. The reason I was
      interested in
      > > your problem was that it was similar to where mine occurred. I'll
      bet Dany
      > > Myers knows more about the changes that happened back than.
      >
      > Is there a bug open that I could add my stack trace to? It would be
      nice to
      > fix this.

      Unfortunately I don't think one has been opened up yet. I was going
      to open one up but I was going to try and collect some more
      information. I suspect we will see more of these problems as upgrades
      go on. It doesn't happen with all systems maybe just certain laptops.

      ---Bob
    • Chris Ridd
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
        On 31/3/07 9:36, "palowoda" <palowoda@...> wrote:

        > Unfortunately I don't think one has been opened up yet. I was going
        > to open one up but I was going to try and collect some more
        > information. I suspect we will see more of these problems as upgrades
        > go on. It doesn't happen with all systems maybe just certain laptops.

        I've gone and raised bug #6541286 against b57. Maybe you can attach notes to
        it, or reference it when raising a new bug.

        Since Saturday, I've managed to install b60 under qemu on my Mac, though it
        took about 24 hours to install and then refused to boot afterwards :-(
        Progress of sorts I suppose. I'm going to see if I can get a vmware image of
        b60 and then convert that to VPC or qemu format.

        Cheers,

        Chris
      • Mike Riley
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
          Chris Ridd wrote:
          > On 31/3/07 9:36, "palowoda" <palowoda@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Unfortunately I don't think one has been opened up yet. I was going
          >> to open one up but I was going to try and collect some more
          >> information. I suspect we will see more of these problems as upgrades
          >> go on. It doesn't happen with all systems maybe just certain laptops.
          >
          > I've gone and raised bug #6541286 against b57. Maybe you can attach notes to
          > it, or reference it when raising a new bug.
          >
          > Since Saturday, I've managed to install b60 under qemu on my Mac, though it
          > took about 24 hours to install and then refused to boot afterwards :-(
          > Progress of sorts I suppose. I'm going to see if I can get a vmware image of
          > b60 and then convert that to VPC or qemu format.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Chris

          I know several people at Sun are using Solaris on Macs under Parallels. You
          might check for blogs on how they did it.

          Mike
        • Chris Ridd
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
            On 3/4/07 5:11, "Mike Riley" <michael.riley@...> wrote:

            > I know several people at Sun are using Solaris on Macs under Parallels. You
            > might check for blogs on how they did it.

            I've spotted a couple of pages describing how to do that. However Parallels
            only runs on Intel Macs, and I'm running on a PowerPC Mac so need a virtual
            machine which also emulates the CPU. It'll never be fast, but hopefully
            it'll be fast enough.

            That's assuming I can get the dratted thing installed on my Mac :-)

            I did manage to install and run b60 on VMware Player on a Windows box at
            work though, and it looked great.

            Cheers,

            Chris
          • Paul Floyd
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
              Hi

              > I know several people at Sun are using Solaris on Macs under Parallels. You
              > might check for blogs on how they did it.

              I tried the demo on my MBP. After I read the manual, it was pretty
              straightforward (couldn't get the NIC to work without reading the manual).

              A+
              Paul
            • Chris Ridd
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                On 3/4/07 8:50, "Paul Floyd" <paulf@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                >> I know several people at Sun are using Solaris on Macs under Parallels. You
                >> might check for blogs on how they did it.
                >
                > I tried the demo on my MBP. After I read the manual, it was pretty
                > straightforward (couldn't get the NIC to work without reading the manual).

                I think that's the only practical solution. Now to persuade my wife :-)

                Cheers,

                Chris