Re: [solarisx86] Re: GNOME 2.16.2 platform port for Sun Solaris 8 and higher > Blastwave Gnome

  • dick hoogendijk
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
      On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 20:01, Paul Gress wrote:
      > maybird1776 wrote:
      > > What I was referring to is using the
      > >
      > >> CSWGnome packages to update the SUNWGnome ones.
      > >>
      > > Technically, we could update the SUNWgnome packages to create a
      > single
      > > GNOME instance across all OS releases - much like CSWgnome.
      > >
      > > But, this would interfere with what Sun is doing with SUNWgnome and
      > > their support model for their desktop product(s).
      > >
      > > ~K
      > >
      > I think what he was referring to was if CSWgnome desktop would read
      > the
      > setup (location of icons, toolbars, colors, etc) info from SUNWgnome.
      > have spent an enormous amount of time setting up SUNWgnome, and really
      > wouldn't like to start over again. This is basically what holds me
      > back
      > from using CSWgnome.

      But aren't those settings saved in your home directory?

      --
      http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
      ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:

        > Sam. M wrote:
        >
        > >The other, which I think would be the most appropriate, would be to
        > >install a very minimal Solaris system. No graphical interface
        > >whatsoever, just enough to get the system booting up, and of course
        > >networking. Then use CSWgnome on top of that. In effect, just dont
        > >install the JDS bit. That would give the underlying security and
        > >stability of Solaris, combined with the full Gnome desktop
        > >environment, or KDE if it comes to that.
        > >

        > Why not just run Express and get the latest JDS Gnome?
        >
        > Ian

        Well I have a support contract for Solaris patches and updates, which
        I would like to keep using, and be safe in the knowledge that the
        underlying Solaris base is fully patched.

        I wonder, just out of curiosity, how many people use Express for
        production machines ?

        It isn't something I would consider for myself. Blastwave is as far as
        I am willing to go in terms of third party/unsupported software.

        Sam.
      • maybird1776
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
          --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Sam. M" <sam@...> wrote:

          > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins <ian@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sam. M wrote:
          > >
          > > >The other, which I think would be the most appropriate, would
          be to
          > > >install a very minimal Solaris system. No graphical interface
          > > >whatsoever, just enough to get the system booting up, and of
          course
          > > >networking. Then use CSWgnome on top of that.
          > > >

          > > Why not just run Express and get the latest JDS Gnome?
          > >
          > > Ian
          > >

          > Well I have a support contract for Solaris patches and updates,
          which
          > I would like to keep using, and be safe in the knowledge that the
          > underlying Solaris base is fully patched.
          >
          > I wonder, just out of curiosity, how many people use Express for
          > production machines ?
          >
          > It isn't something I would consider for myself. Blastwave is as
          far as
          > I am willing to go in terms of third party/unsupported software.
          >
          > Sam.

          If you want out check out the latest Sun JDS (v2.16.2), you can
          await the new Solaris Express Community Edition b53 coming out this
          week.

          You can also get it from:
          http://dlc.sun.com/osol/jds/downloads/current/

          ~Ken
        • Alan Coopersmith
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
            Sam. M wrote:
            > The other, which I think would be the most appropriate, would be to
            > install a very minimal Solaris system. No graphical interface
            > whatsoever, just enough to get the system booting up, and of course
            > networking. Then use CSWgnome on top of that. In effect, just dont
            > install the JDS bit. That would give the underlying security and
            > stability of Solaris, combined with the full Gnome desktop
            > environment, or KDE if it comes to that.

            I expect you'll need at least the JDS libraries at some point, as more
            and more packages are relying on them, and I don't know that the CSW
            builds are 100% binary compatible.

            --
            -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith@...
          • Paul Gress
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
              dick hoogendijk wrote:

              >> I think what he was referring to was if CSWgnome desktop would read
              >> the
              >> setup (location of icons, toolbars, colors, etc) info from SUNWgnome.
              >> have spent an enormous amount of time setting up SUNWgnome, and really
              >> wouldn't like to start over again. This is basically what holds me
              >> back
              >> from using CSWgnome.
              >>

              > But aren't those settings saved in your home directory?

              Yes, but I could never really figure them out. I'm so nervous, before
              start CSWgnome up I copy all my .gnome* files. I've had CSWgnome do
              strange things to them, that when I logged back into SUNWgnome, the
              desktop was corrupt. It has happened to me more then once, I learned
              the hard way. I think either it should have total isolation or complete
              compatibility. If it has total isolation, it should ask if you want to
              transfer your SUNWgnome environment over. My opinion.

              Paul
            • dick hoogendijk
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 18:37, Paul Gress wrote:
                > I think either it should have total isolation or complete
                > compatibility.
                > If it has total isolation, it should ask if you want to
                > transfer your SUNWgnome environment over. My opinion.

                I fully agree with you in this.

                --
                http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
                ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++
              • Ian Collins
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Sam. M wrote:

                  >--- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Sam. M wrote:
                  >>

                  >>>The other, which I think would be the most appropriate, would be to
                  >>>install a very minimal Solaris system. No graphical interface
                  >>>whatsoever, just enough to get the system booting up, and of course
                  >>>networking. Then use CSWgnome on top of that. In effect, just dont
                  >>>install the JDS bit. That would give the underlying security and
                  >>>stability of Solaris, combined with the full Gnome desktop
                  >>>environment, or KDE if it comes to that.
                  >>>

                  >>Why not just run Express and get the latest JDS Gnome?
                  >>
                  >>Ian
                  >>

                  >Well I have a support contract for Solaris patches and updates, which
                  >I would like to keep using, and be safe in the knowledge that the
                  >underlying Solaris base is fully patched.

                  Don't forget most fixes find their way into Express before they are
                  backported to 10.

                  >I wonder, just out of curiosity, how many people use Express for
                  >production machines ?

                  Well I do. I keep a fully patched Solaris 10 box on hand to verify
                  patches before they go on client's systems, but all of my boxes run some
                  form of OpenSolaris community builds.

                  Ian
                • Ian Collins
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
                    maybird1776 wrote:

                    >If you want out check out the latest Sun JDS (v2.16.2), you can
                    >await the new Solaris Express Community Edition b53 coming out this
                    >week.

                    Build 53 is now out.

                    Ian
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:

                      > maybird1776 wrote:
                      >

                      > >If you want out check out the latest Sun JDS (v2.16.2), you can
                      > >await the new Solaris Express Community Edition b53 coming out this
                      > >week.
                      > >

                      > Build 53 is now out.

                      Nice more multimedia tools, a voip client with video, firefox 2.0,
                      icon improvements, looks like more themes.