RE: [solarisx86] Nvidia problem.

  • Tadimeti, Kesav
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Thanks Bruce & JOhn
      I had a look once more. The problem is that NVRM is trying to load the nVidia kernel module and is hanging. That is the only message I get, though I have not copied it on paper and presented it here.

      I do not know the nVidia driver version, but I suspect it should be a recent one, as I downloaded it at the same time as I downloaded Solaris 10 01/06.
      However, I believe, installing another updated one is out of the question as i can't boot the machine.

      I had a look on nVidia forums, and I think the solution is:

      1) Choose fail safe boot in grub.
      2) Select 'n' for no on mounting the disc.
      3) Mount the disc like:
      mount -o rw /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 /a
      4) Remove the NVIDIA packages with:
      pkgrm -R /a NVDAgrpahics
      pkgrm -R /a NVDAgrpahicsr
      5) Reboot

      do you believe the above steps are correct - I am quite new to Solaris, and it was quite silly of me to store all important files in the Solaris partition when I know very little of the OS.
      Can I issue the pkgrm command in failsafe mode?

      Thanks...

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        Tadimeti, Kesav wrote:

        > Thanks Bruce & JOhn
        > I had a look once more. The problem is that NVRM is trying to load the
        > nVidia kernel module and is hanging. That is the only message I get,
        > though I have not copied it on paper and presented it here.

        If you are getting a "loading" message, it must be the older driver.
        However, I don't believe the symptom you are seeing will be resolved
        by loading a newer version of the driver. I've seen two cases where
        the system "hangs" after the NVIDIA driver is loaded on S10U1:

        1. The BIOS option USB legacy device emulation has been left enabled.

        2. The shared interrupt line for some other device is asserted and the
        system effectively goes into an interrupt loop when the NVIDIA driver
        enables its interrupt.

        > I do not know the nVidia driver version, but I suspect it should be a
        > recent one, as I downloaded it at the same time as I downloaded
        > Solaris 10 01/06.
        > However, I believe, installing another updated one is out of the
        > question as i can't boot the machine.
        >
        > I had a look on nVidia forums, and I think the solution is:
        >
        > 1) Choose fail safe boot in grub.

        > 2) Select 'n' for no on mounting the disc.
        > 3) Mount the disc like:
        > mount -o rw /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 /a

        Just select "y" for mounting the disk read/write. It will
        be mounted on /a. Then continue with the steps below.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          hi all
          So I issued the pkgrm commands for both packages. Upon reboot, I got the below messages:

          warning: Last shutdown date is later than time on <???> chip
          warning: sysconfig no screens found
          can't find driver for console firm buffer

          then the machine reboots by itself.

          By then, my patience grew thin, and I reinstalled Solaris (preserving /export/home). Things are normal now. Yes, I feel I should have disabled on-board USB support, as I got the message that IRQ 16 was being used by more than one device.

          So what else should I have done other than reinstall Solaris (after all, I installed it to learn Solaris)?

          thanks & regards

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            Tadimeti, Kesav wrote:

            > hi all
            > So I issued the pkgrm commands for both packages. Upon reboot, I got
            > the below messages:
            >
            > warning: Last shutdown date is later than time on <???> chip
            > warning: sysconfig no screens found
            > can't find driver for console firm buffer
            >
            > then the machine reboots by itself.

            The "pkgrm -R /a NVDAgraphics" should have removed all
            the nvidia lines from /a/etc/driver_aliases, which of course
            will be /etc/driver_aliases on reboot. As long as you didn't
            hand remove the vgatext entries in /etc/driver_aliases, your
            video card should have been picked up as the console device.

            > By then, my patience grew thin, and I reinstalled Solaris (preserving
            > /export/home). Things are normal now. Yes, I feel I should have
            > disabled on-board USB support, as I got the message that IRQ 16 was
            > being used by more than one device.

            On board USB devices aren't normally a problem, unless they leave
            the interrupt stuck on. In those cases, a power cycle allows the system
            to boot. The problem I've found is leaving USB legacy mode enabled.