Re: [solarisx86] Xorg Nvidia Failure After Solaris 10 01/06 Upgrade

  • John Martin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005
      Paul Gress wrote:

      > Chris Kern wrote:
      >
      > >Following a U1 upgrade install (from the Solaris 10 GA release) of a
      > >Dell 2600 desktop, the onboard Nvidia graphics device has stopped
      > >working. It was fine before the upgrade. Same driver, same xorg.conf
      > >file, /etc/driver_aliases is correct.

      I posted the following inside of Sun a couple of days before
      Christmas, but I forgot to do an external posting. Sorry.

      A heads up for anyone doing an upgrade from S10 GA to S10 U1.

      I had a system running S10 GA with the 1.0-8175 drivers. Doing
      the S10 U1 upgrade correctly removed the NVIDIA drivers, so reinstallation
      was required. After reinstalling the Xorg server does not start
      with the following error:

      (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please
      ensure

      The problem appears to be S10 GA used matched the vendor/device id
      for the NVS 280 with the entry in /boot/solaris/devicedb/master
      and created the expected driver link:

      nvidia0 -> /devices/pci@5,0/pci1022,7455@1/pci10de,168@0:nvidia@0

      S10 U1 apparently no longer matches the entry in devicedb/master, so
      it is creating the default "display" link:

      nvidia1 -> /devices/pci@5,0/pci1022,7455@1/display@0:nvidia1

      If you run into this, you will need to fix the driver links.
      The brute force (albeit, risky) fix is to remove the "nvidia"
      entries from /etc/path_to_inst and do a configuration reboot.
      You can also point /dev/nvidia0 to /dev/fbs/nvidia1.
    • John Martin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005
        Paul Gress wrote:

        > Dave Littell wrote:
        >
        > >Hi Chris,
        > >
        > >My first guess would be to reinstall the NVIDIA driver.
        > >

        > >Dave
        > >

        > Been there done that. All available drivers except 7664 and 7667.
        > Also, when I reinstalled the drivers, I did a pkgrm NVDSgraphics and
        > NVDSgraphicsr and a "reboot -- -r" before I reinstalled a different
        > driver. Nothing works.

        (See the previous post for a more detailed explanation).
        Reinstalling the drivers won't work since Solaris "remembers" previous
        device instances even with the driver packages are removed.
      • Paul Gress
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005
          John Martin wrote:

          >Paul Gress wrote:
          >

          >>Dave Littell wrote:
          >>

          >>>Hi Chris,
          >>>
          >>>My first guess would be to reinstall the NVIDIA driver.
          >>>

          >>>Dave
          >>>

          >>Been there done that. All available drivers except 7664 and 7667.
          >>Also, when I reinstalled the drivers, I did a pkgrm NVDSgraphics and
          >>NVDSgraphicsr and a "reboot -- -r" before I reinstalled a different
          >>driver. Nothing works.
          >>

          >(See the previous post for a more detailed explanation).
          >Reinstalling the drivers won't work since Solaris "remembers" previous
          >device instances even with the driver packages are removed.

          Thank you very much. I chose the risky fix. My computer is now singing
          at lightning speeds again!

          Paul
        • Chris Kern
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005

            Paul Gress wrote:

            > I chose the risky fix. My computer is now singing
            > at lightning speeds again!

            Did the trick for me, too. (I also needed to remove the nvidia entries
            from /etc/driver_aliases before the reconfiguration reboot to get the
            nodes in /devices remade.)

            Many thanks for the quick response, John.

            Chris
          • John Martin
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005
              Chris Kern wrote:

              > Paul Gress wrote:
              >
              > > I chose the risky fix. My computer is now singing
              > > at lightning speeds again!
              >
              > Did the trick for me, too. (I also needed to remove the nvidia entries
              > from /etc/driver_aliases before the reconfiguration reboot to get the
              > nodes in /devices remade.)

              Removing the entries from /etc/driver_aliases isn't needed to fix
              this problem and should have disabled the driver. I would expect
              you to be now running the vgatext driver with the nv ddx.
            • Chris Kern
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005
                John Martin wrote:

                > Chris Kern wrote:
                >
                >> Did the trick for me, too. (I also needed to remove the nvidia entries
                >> from /etc/driver_aliases before the reconfiguration reboot to get the
                >> nodes in /devices remade.)
                >

                > Removing the entries from /etc/driver_aliases isn't needed to fix
                > this problem and should have disabled the driver. I would expect
                > you to be now running the vgatext driver with the nv ddx.

                Ahhh, I omitted a critical step in my last post.

                Just performing the reconfiguration reboot after clearing the "nvidia"
                entries in /etc/path_to_inst, per your instructions, did not create the
                required node for the Nvidia graphics device in /devices. In other
                words, /dev/fbs/nvidia0 had a syntactically correct link, but it pointed
                to nowhere.

                So I removed the 'nvidia" entries from /etc/driver_aliases *and then
                re-ran Nvidia's driver installer,* which of course put the correct
                entries back in /etc/driver_aliases and also made the
                /devices/.../display@0:nvidia0 node. (That's the step I failed to
                explain earlier.) Then I performed another reconfiguration reboot to
                load the driver.

                I am indeed running the Nvidia driver now:

                (++) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
                (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
                (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
                (--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xF0000000
                (--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xFD000000
                (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
                (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 04.18.20.21.a4
                (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
                (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
                (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 65536 kBytes
                (II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0
                (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: maximum pixel clock: 350 MHz
                (II) NVIDIA(0): Frequency information for CRT-0:
                (II) NVIDIA(0): HorizSync : 31.000-80.000 kHz
                (II) NVIDIA(0): VertRefresh : 56.000-76.000 Hz
                (II) NVIDIA(0): (HorizSync from EDID)
                (II) NVIDIA(0): (VertRefresh from EDID)
                (II) NVIDIA(0): My Monitor: Using hsync range of 31.00-80.00 kHz
                (II) NVIDIA(0): My Monitor: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-76.00 Hz
                (II) NVIDIA(0): Clock range: 12.00 to 350.00 MHz

                Sorry if that last post of mine was unclear. And, again, thanks for so
                quickly responding to the problem that Paul Gress and I described.

                Chris
              • maybird1776
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 28, 2005
                  --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@s...>
                  wrote:

                  > Paul Gress wrote:
                  >
                  > > Chris Kern wrote:
                  > >
                  > > >Following a U1 upgrade install (from the Solaris 10 GA release)
                  of a
                  > > >Dell 2600 desktop, the onboard Nvidia graphics device has
                  stopped
                  > > >working. It was fine before the upgrade. Same driver, same
                  xorg.conf
                  > > >file, /etc/driver_aliases is correct.
                  >

                  > I posted the following inside of Sun a couple of days before
                  > Christmas, but I forgot to do an external posting. Sorry.
                  >

                  > A heads up for anyone doing an upgrade from S10 GA to S10 U1.
                  >
                  > I had a system running S10 GA with the 1.0-8175 drivers. Doing
                  > the S10 U1 upgrade correctly removed the NVIDIA drivers, so
                  reinstallation
                  > was required. After reinstalling the Xorg server does not start
                  > with the following error:
                  >
                  > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
                  Please
                  > ensure
                  >
                  > The problem appears to be S10 GA used matched the vendor/device id
                  > for the NVS 280 with the entry in /boot/solaris/devicedb/master
                  > and created the expected driver link:
                  >
                  > nvidia0 -> /devices/pci@5,0/pci1022,7455@1/pci10de,168@0:nvidia@0
                  >
                  > S10 U1 apparently no longer matches the entry in devicedb/master,
                  so
                  > it is creating the default "display" link:
                  >
                  > nvidia1 -> /devices/pci@5,0/pci1022,7455@1/display@0:nvidia1
                  >
                  > If you run into this, you will need to fix the driver links.
                  > The brute force (albeit, risky) fix is to remove the "nvidia"
                  > entries from /etc/path_to_inst and do a configuration reboot.
                  > You can also point /dev/nvidia0 to /dev/fbs/nvidia1.

                  Ref: http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7800gtx.html
                  Any notes for OEMs/IHV/ISV/partners and end users using the Nvidia
                  GeForce Go 7800 GTX -based laptops with Sun Solaris 10u1?

                  Is Sun testing out the Nvidia/Solaris driver with GeForce Go 7800
                  GTX GPU??

                  Thanks,
                  Ken Mays
                • John Martin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 28, 2005
                    maybird1776 wrote:

                    > Ref: http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7800gtx.html
                    > Any notes for OEMs/IHV/ISV/partners and end users using the Nvidia
                    > GeForce Go 7800 GTX -based laptops with Sun Solaris 10u1?
                    >
                    > Is Sun testing out the Nvidia/Solaris driver with GeForce Go 7800
                    > GTX GPU??

                    It is not on any test matrix as the Solaris driver does not officially
                    support GeForce GPUs.

                    I'm more interested in the Quadro FX Go 1400. Many of the notebook
                    vendors who offer the GeForce Go 7800 GTX also offer the
                    Quadro FX Go 1400 as an option.
                  • pcsol1996
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John Martin <john.m.martin@s...> wrote:

                      > Paul Gress wrote:
                      >
                      > > Dave Littell wrote:
                      > >
                      > > >Hi Chris,
                      > > >
                      > > >My first guess would be to reinstall the NVIDIA driver.
                      > > >

                      > > >Dave
                      > > >

                      > > Been there done that. All available drivers except 7664 and 7667.
                      > > Also, when I reinstalled the drivers, I did a pkgrm NVDSgraphics and
                      > > NVDSgraphicsr and a "reboot -- -r" before I reinstalled a different
                      > > driver. Nothing works.
                      >

                      > (See the previous post for a more detailed explanation).
                      > Reinstalling the drivers won't work since Solaris "remembers" previous
                      > device instances even with the driver packages are removed.

                      This is disconcerting since Sun sells the W1100Z/W2100Z with Nvidia
                      cards. Didn't someone at Sun try this out on a W2100Z before
                      releasing the update? Good thing I didn't try to do the upgrade on
                      our operational W2100Z.

                      Is there a "non-risky" fix coming for this?

                      Robert
                    • John Martin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
                        pcsol1996 wrote:

                        > This is disconcerting since Sun sells the W1100Z/W2100Z with Nvidia
                        > cards. Didn't someone at Sun try this out on a W2100Z before
                        > releasing the update? Good thing I didn't try to do the upgrade on
                        > our operational W2100Z.

                        The NVIDIA driver is still unbundled, so I'm not surprised it
                        didn't end up in one of the official test matrices.

                        I normally don't do upgrade installations between builds, since reinstalling
                        is faster, so I didn't catch it until I downloaded the official
                        ISO image for my home system. I happened to choose upgrade install
                        for this system only because I wanted to test that the upgrade
                        removed the NVIDIA packages and then tripped over the device naming
                        problem.

                        > Is there a "non-risky" fix coming for this?

                        "devfsadm -C" is the only supported method for cleaning up
                        orphaned links, but it won't solve this problem as nvidia1 will
                        have already been created and it will be persistent. I will look
                        into creating a script that automates the repair.

                        The naming behavior of S10U1 is consistent with Solaris Express.
                        At this momemt I'm leaning towards not fixing this as I like the
                        new behavior better. The old behavior of "pcixxxx,yyy@nvidiaN"
                        is what made it a pain to switch cards, since it changed the
                        character device name. The new behavior (ignoring the
                        field in devicedb/master) of "display@nvidiaN" makes it easier
                        to switch cards since the name doesn't change.