Re: [solarisx86] Re: Wi-Fi

  • Phillip Bruce
    Message 1 of 67 , Aug 1 12:37 AM
      palowoda wrote:

      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Al Hopper <al@l...> wrote:

      > > > Dan,
      > > >
      > > > You hit it square on the head. The lack of interest is a problem. But
      > > > what these other vendors don't know that there is interests. Sun
      > should
      > > > at least point out users groups like ours to find out where the
      > interests
      > > > is rather than just waiting for us to feedback to their own web site.
      > > > Maybe Sun is doing that but the vendors won't believe them for some
      > > > stupid reason.
      > >
      > > The big problem with the Linux mentality is that it has promoted a
      > culture
      > > of "of course it's free" for anything, and I mean *anything*,
      > > internet/computer related.
      > >
      > > Do you think that if you applied a couple of good Solaris developers to
      > > write and maintain WiFi drivers and bought a couple of laptops that you
      > > wanted to target (the ones with the most popular WiFi chipsets),
      > that you
      > > could make money on this investment? Or do you think that you'd be
      > lucky
      > > to meet payroll for those developers?
      > >
      > > If those Solaris x86 WiFi drivers were available today, on a
      > commercial web
      > > based storefront ... I doubt that the operation would ever break even.
      > > Please tell me if you think I'm wrong.
      >

      > The problem is Sun can see beyond just a few wireless drivers
      > and how to make money in the wireless sector. They have the
      > resources just no plan.
      >
      > ---Bob

      Bob,

      I'm no MBA but every business person I've ever met always stated
      you must have a plan. Having no plans is like having no money and
      no left brain to complete the right brain fart.

      Phillip
      Message 67 of 67 , Aug 2 5:10 AM
        John Weekley wrote:
        > Crypto issues for US companies aren't really a big deal anymore.
        > You notify the Department of Commerce that you're including crypto in
        > your goodies, what type and a few other things and approval is almost
        > always granted. Lots of crypto is already shipped overseas by Cisco in
        > the form of SSH on their routers, WPA2 on their wireless NIC's etc.

        Well, a quick search on their site shows they do care, at least for some
        products, in this March 2005 manual:

        «Cipher suites with "export" in the title indicate that they are
        intended for use outside of the domestic United States and that they
        have encryption algorithms with limited key sizes.»
        http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps792/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008040ad80.html#wp1004139

        Everything above 56 bits keys is reserved for US domestic use.

        > The big legal obstacles don't exist and haven't since 1999 or
        > therabouts, but the big ITAR mind block/excellent rationalization for
        > not doing it still exist, though.

        Indeed.