Re: [solarisx86] Janus/LAE: any news and rumours?

  • Paul Gress
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      John D Groenveld wrote:

      >In message <42C4BE81.2010801@...>, Paul Gress writes:
      >

      >>I can name one application that runs on Solaris Sparc and Linux X86 but
      >>not Solaris X86/64. PTC Pro-Engineer Wildfire 2.0. I'm still waiting
      >>and hoping.
      >>

      >What operating system do Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks in
      >Sun's automotive industry sector group recommend customers run on Sun's
      >Opteron stationary technical workstations?
      >
      >Will Sun have Solaris workstation system experts on hand at AMD's booth
      >at SIGGRAPH 2005?
      ><URL:http://www.siggraph.org/cgi-bin/cgi/idEDetail.html&CompanyID=19>
      >
      >John
      >groenveld@...

      On PTC website, Pro-Engineer is certified to run on a W2100z workstation
      by Sun only Linux and Windows XP, Not Solaris. One ray of hope is in
      patch # 119734-01 is written specifically for Pro-Engineer on Solaris 10
      x86.

      Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
        In message <42C60FFB.7030508@...>, Paul Gress writes:
        >On PTC website, Pro-Engineer is certified to run on a W2100z workstation
        >by Sun only Linux and Windows XP, Not Solaris. One ray of hope is in
        >patch # 119734-01 is written specifically for Pro-Engineer on Solaris 10
        >x86.

        I noticed that as well.

        Does Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks have to have their
        ducks in a row, in other words, do they have to have their counterparts
        at ISVs PTC, Mentor Graphics, Mathworks, etc,etc,etc ready to announce
        their products certified for John Fowler and company's Solaris stationary
        workstation systems, before Anil Gadre and company can start telling
        ACM SIGGRAPH members and current and prospective Sun customers why
        they should care about John Loiacono and company's Solaris?

        Do (Open)Solaris advocates here think that the June 1st nVidia drivers
        release for Solaris got a deserving amount of PR?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
          John D Groenveld wrote:
          > Does Anil Gadre and company's marketing wonks have to have their
          > ducks in a row, in other words, do they have to have their counterparts
          > at ISVs PTC, Mentor Graphics, Mathworks, etc,etc,etc ready to announce
          > their products certified for John Fowler and company's Solaris stationary
          > workstation systems, before Anil Gadre and company can start telling
          > ACM SIGGRAPH members and current and prospective Sun customers why
          > they should care about John Loiacono and company's Solaris?

          What's funny, to get back to the software I need, IDL, is they say they have
          trouble supporting Linux because of all the different flavours and mix of
          kernels and libc versions.
          And yet, they don't see a need to support Solaris x86, which would probably be
          less trouble for them, because not enough people are asking for it.
          http://www.rsinc.com/idl/idl_ft_platforms.htm

          > Do (Open)Solaris advocates here think that the June 1st nVidia drivers
          > release for Solaris got a deserving amount of PR?

          Depends on what you meant by «deserving». It certainly got an amount related to
          Solaris x86 market share. Nothing that would interest people not using Solaris.
          Not sure how it could have been done better, since it's still lacking some bits.
          Maybe when all the eye-candy will be in Solaris, then Sun will make some nice PR
          demo? Something flashy with Looking Glass, for example, that would make some buzz.

          A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2005
            In message <42C6CCFE.2070106@...>, Laurent Blume writes:
            >What's funny, to get back to the software I need, IDL, is they say they have
            >trouble supporting Linux because of all the different flavours and mix of
            >kernels and libc versions.

            Does Anil Gadre and company's marketing of John Loiacono and company's
            Solaris to customers and ISVs alike sufficiently emphasize Sun's
            commitment to stable, documented interfaces?

            >And yet, they don't see a need to support Solaris x86, which would probably be
            >less trouble for them, because not enough people are asking for it.
            >http://www.rsinc.com/idl/idl_ft_platforms.htm

            Is Anil Gadre and company doing a sufficient job of explaining to RSI's
            customers why they should ask RSI to support Solaris?

            >> Do (Open)Solaris advocates here think that the June 1st nVidia drivers
            >> release for Solaris got a deserving amount of PR?
            >
            >Depends on what you meant by «deserving». It certainly got an amount related to
            >Solaris x86 market share. Nothing that would interest people not using Solaris

            How does the amount of PR for the June 1st nVidia driver release for
            Solaris relate to Anil Gadre and company's goals for Solaris workstation
            market share as of COB September 30th 2005?

            >Not sure how it could have been done better, since it's still lacking some bit
            >s.

            Should Anil Gadre and company have issued a press release on June 2nd
            to accompany Alan Coopersmith's announcement here and Alan Hargreave's
            blog entry?

            Should Anil Gadre and company's press release for John Fowler and company's
            Ultra 20 mentioned the recent Solaris support for the nVidia OEM graphics
            options?
            <URL:http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-06/sunflash.20050627.5.html>

            >Maybe when all the eye-candy will be in Solaris, then Sun will make some nice
            >PR
            >demo? Something flashy with Looking Glass, for example, that would make some b
            >uzz.

            Did folks here enjoy the Solaris Looking Glass demos at the various
            (Open)Solaris user group events this past month?

            What other kinds of demos might pique the interests of ACM SIGGRAPH members?