Re: [solarisx86] Re: Gnome vs. CDE wars

    Message 1 of 253 , Jul 1, 2005
      Ben Taylor wrote:
      > Anyone got a DVD movie to play in Solaris?

      Yes.

      > I forget if
      > I was using ogle or totem, but the only way it played
      > was I went and found that a libdecss that isn't part of
      > blastwave had to be downloaded from a different site.

      Last time I looked, it was the same for at least Debian and
      Mandrake/Mandriva: they're not distributing the CSS part.
      <wonders>
      could that have anything to do with some US companies suing everything
      that tries to read a DVD on a platform they haven't blessed with their
      mighty touch (and received mighty dollars for)?
      </wonders>

      > At least I could play movies now, but do you think the
      > average user is going to have the wherewithall to go
      > find it (as opposed to reading the internal documentation
      > first and maybe finding it there:-)

      What should they do, then?
      MS Windows is restricting them to a single region. It's not easy on
      Windows when you want to play your legally purchased DVDs from another
      region?
      Restrictions here are not technical, they're purely politics and economics.
      I'm not in a hurry to see Sun including DRM in Solaris.

      Message 253 of 253 , Nov 18, 2005
        In message <dadaac+dehl@...>, "palowoda" writes:
        > I wish Weinberg would make more public appearances. He is
        >interesting when it comes to Sun management.

        See yesterday's reporting by Gavin Clarke on the Sun conference
        call regarding Postgres and other features coming in Solaris 10
        Updates.
        <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/17/sun_solaris_postgres/>