Re: [solarisx86] Re: JDS 3 Movie Player app.

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
      Selon maybird1776 <maybird1776@...>:

      > There was a discussion at Blastwave and here about a year ago about
      > selecting the best DVD players for Solaris. A few of the Blastwave
      > maintainers were able to port Mplayer, Ogle, Totem, Gxine GUI,
      > kmplayer, and Xine-UI as well as the gstreamer 0.8.9 backend and xine-
      > libs 1.0.
      >
      > As for libdvdcss, we discussed that as well.

      And? What was the result of the discussion? Ogle, Totem, MPlayer and Xine are
      not very useful for DVDs without libdvdcss, are they?

      Or did you choose the way adopted by several Linux distros, not to package it
      yourself, but tell people where to get it, at their own risk?

      A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Blume <laurent@e...> wrote:
        > Selon maybird1776 <maybird1776@y...>:
        >
        > > There was a discussion at Blastwave and here about a year ago about
        > > selecting the best DVD players for Solaris. A few of the Blastwave
        > > maintainers were able to port Mplayer, Ogle, Totem, Gxine GUI,
        > > kmplayer, and Xine-UI as well as the gstreamer 0.8.9 backend and xine-
        > > libs 1.0.
        > >
        > > As for libdvdcss, we discussed that as well.
        >
        > And? What was the result of the discussion? Ogle, Totem, MPlayer and
        Xine are
        > not very useful for DVDs without libdvdcss, are they?

        Hmm I've tried Xine (from Blastwave) and it didn't play a
        DVD video which had something to do that it couldn't recognize
        the device. Which on of these players from blastwave work
        out of the box playing dvd's that are dependent on libdvdcss?

        ---Bob
      • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
          >Hmm I've tried Xine (from Blastwave) and it didn't play a
          >DVD video which had something to do that it couldn't recognize
          >the device. Which on of these players from blastwave work
          >out of the box playing dvd's that are dependent on libdvdcss?

          They all need libdvdcss; but if you install it along side libdvdread,
          it will just find, load and use it.

          I'm not sure why they don't distribute it.

          Casper
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Casper.Dik@S... wrote:

            > >Hmm I've tried Xine (from Blastwave) and it didn't play a
            > >DVD video which had something to do that it couldn't recognize
            > >the device. Which on of these players from blastwave work
            > >out of the box playing dvd's that are dependent on libdvdcss?
            >
            > They all need libdvdcss; but if you install it along side libdvdread,
            > it will just find, load and use it.
            >
            > I'm not sure why they don't distribute it.

            I'm sure it's the same reason Sun can distribute it. :O

            ---Bob
          • maybird1776
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Casper.Dik@S... wrote:

              > >Hmm I've tried Xine (from Blastwave) and it didn't play a
              > >DVD video which had something to do that it couldn't recognize
              > >the device. Which on of these players from blastwave work
              > >out of the box playing dvd's that are dependent on libdvdcss?
              >
              > They all need libdvdcss; but if you install it along side
              libdvdread,
              > it will just find, load and use it.
              >
              > I'm not sure why they don't distribute it.
              >
              > Casper

              Hmm...well, you know I was reading that GPL on libdvdcss and decided
              to evaluate VideoLan Client (VLC) v0.8.1 on Solaris in which I'd
              think something could be worked out to distribute the code or just
              make it available in the compiled form. The VideoLAN website does
              this with other platforms so you don't have to necessarily distribute
              the code but just make it available (or let them (libdvdcss/VLC
              developers) do it for you like the KDE and Mozilla and OpenOffice
              orgs do).

              Meaning: Solaris Community and Solaris Engineering could do some type
              of joint project to port high-quality open source DVD and content
              creation toolsets to Solaris which includes enabling encrypted DVD
              playback and recording - by of permission of the VideoLAN developers
              or legal overseers (http://www.nsa.gov/). ;o>

              All of the commercial companies can distribute DVD recorders/players
              over the Internet so I think a precompiled closed binary may be the
              way to go if this keeps up.

              ~Ken Mays ("and they said it couldn't be done")
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
                Selon maybird1776 <maybird1776@...>:
                > All of the commercial companies can distribute DVD recorders/players
                > over the Internet so I think a precompiled closed binary may be the
                > way to go if this keeps up.

                The code is GPL, which means that you don't need permission -- they already gave
                it, and that you have to distribute the source code, if asked, to whomever you
                give the binaries.

                And if the commercial companies can distribute players, it's because they are
                paying huge amounts of money to the DVD standard consortium, forum, or whatever
                they want to be called.

                A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
                  In message <556e814705022819582c63fd57@...>, Daniel Chee writes:

                  >Last I heard, RealPlayer is available for download as part of the
                  >Helix project. Also, there are people at Real working on porting
                  >RealPlayer to Solaris x86.

                  Desktop Software seems to have successfully convinced Real to
                  produce RealPlayer for the upcoming JDS3 for Novell SUSE, but the
                  Solaris SPARC port lags and the Solaris x64 port is vapor.
                  <URL:https://helixcommunity.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154>

                  If Marketing manages to leverage the Mad Hatter's partnership with Real
                  to gain better support for Solaris, I hope we'll see a press release on
                  sun.com.
                  <URL:http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2003/rn_sun.html>

                • devmazumdar
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 1, 2005
                    --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@e...>
                    wrote:

                    > If Marketing manages to leverage the Mad Hatter's partnership with
                    Real
                    > to gain better support for Solaris, I hope we'll see a press
                    release on
                    > sun.com.

                    <URL:http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/rel
                    eases/2003/rn_sun.html>

                    > John
                    > groenveld@a...

                    For all the shouting about Helix being open source, I'm actually
                    dismayed to see that no one (including myself) has been able to get
                    Helix working on SOlaris x86. Goes to prove that Real has found a nice
                    way to make open source so obfuscated that it might as well be closed
                    source and get you to pay them to create a client for your platform.

                    best regards
                    Dev
                  • maybird1776
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 2, 2005
                      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "devmazumdar" <devmazumdar@y...> wrote:

                      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@e...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > If Marketing manages to leverage the Mad Hatter's partnership with
                      > Real
                      > > to gain better support for Solaris, I hope we'll see a press
                      > release on
                      > > sun.com.
                      > >
                      > <URL:http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/rel
                      > eases/2003/rn_sun.html>
                      > >
                      > > John
                      > > groenveld@a...
                      >

                      > For all the shouting about Helix being open source, I'm actually
                      > dismayed to see that no one (including myself) has been able to get
                      > Helix working on SOlaris x86. Goes to prove that Real has found a nice
                      > way to make open source so obfuscated that it might as well be closed
                      > source and get you to pay them to create a client for your platform.
                      >

                      > best regards
                      > Dev

                      Check with the Mplayer developers as they may have come up with
                      a way to get around the Realplayer codec issues (tongue in cheek).
                      -K
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 2, 2005
                        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "maybird1776" <maybird1776@y...>

                        > Check with the Mplayer developers as they may have come up with
                        > a way to get around the Realplayer codec issues (tongue in cheek).
                        > -K

                        Oh so now somebody brings up the Real Dirt(TM). :-)

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 2, 2005
                          In message <d02jai+h70m@...>, "devmazumdar" writes:
                          >Helix working on SOlaris x86. Goes to prove that Real has found a nice
                          >way to make open source so obfuscated that it might as well be closed
                          >source and get you to pay them to create a client for your platform.

                          A rough idea how much Sun's Peder Ulander/Richard Finlayson-types had
                          to pay Real to support RealPlayer for JDS/Linux and Solaris SPARC?