Re: Keyboard Usage Problems

  • Juergen Keil
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 11, 2005
      --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "eviltypeguy" <adonijah@g...> wrote:

      > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Butler" <timothybutler@c...> >
      > > > Defining TERMINFO=/opt/csw/share/terminfo (for example) makes
      > > the page up/down keys work with /usr/bin/less on Solaris 9.
      >
      > While that fixes the pageup / pagedown keys to work in my programs at
      > least (thank you for that), it still doesn't make my home and end keys
      > work when using bash in that terminal window.

      Neither Solaris' terminfo database, nor the one from ncurses (S10
      companion CD) defines kend & khome for the "xterm" terminal entry.

      You should be able to fix this for yourself, by recompiling the "xterm"
      terminfo entry, adding "kend" and "khome" key definitions:

      kend=\EOF, khome=\EOH,

      For example like this:

      % mkdir /tmp/foo
      % env TERMINFO=/usr/share/lib/terminfo /bin/infocmp xterm >
      /tmp/foo/xterm.ti
      % echo ' knp=\E[6~, kpp=\E[5~, kend=\EOF, khome=\EOH, ' >>
      /tmp/foo/xterm.ti
      % env TERMINFO=/tmp/foo /bin/tic -v /tmp/foo/xterm.ti

      Using an "xterm" window, the "Home / Pos1" key and the "End" key
      can be used to jump to the start and the end of a file:

      % env TERMINFO=/tmp/foo less /etc/termcap

      If you replace Solaris' compiled xterm terminfo file in
      /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm with the new one, the Home / End
      keys can be used in a gnome-terminal, too.
    • Seyit Ali
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 11, 2005
        Hi,

        How can I make my orinoco wlan pcmcia card work in a texas instruments
        device?
        I have another wlan minipci card: BCM94306 802.11g. Does it work under
        solaris 10?

        The related output of /usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci is

        pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x01 function 0x00: vendor 0x104c device 0xac47
        Texas Instruments Device unknown

        pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x01 function 0x01: vendor 0x104c device 0xac4a
        Texas Instruments Device unknown

        pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x01 function 0x02: vendor 0x104c device 0x802b
        Texas Instruments Device unknown

        pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x01 function 0x03: vendor 0x104c device 0x8204
        Texas Instruments Device unknown

        pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x03 function 0x00: vendor 0x14e4 device 0x4320
        Broadcom Corporation BCM94306 802.11g

        Seyit
      • Alan DuBoff
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 11, 2005
          On Friday 11 February 2005 03:45, Seyit Ali wrote:
          > How can I make my orinoco wlan pcmcia card work in a texas instruments
          > device?
          > I have another wlan minipci card: BCM94306 802.11g. Does it work under
          > solaris 10?

          Unfortunately there are no wireless drivers available in the Solaris 10 which
          was just released. You'll need to wait for an update to get them.

          There is support for the Orinoco, I use it at Sun. I don't know wether S10
          update 1 or S10 update 2 will have the drivers. A configuration program is
          being worked on at this time.

          --

          Alan DuBoff
          Software Orchestration
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 11, 2005
            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Keil" <jk@t...> wrote:
            > You should be able to fix this for yourself, by recompiling the
            "xterm"
            > terminfo entry, adding "kend" and "khome" key definitions:>

            Sadly, that doesn't work. I also noticed that xterm.ti already has an
            entry for "home", just not khome.

            I think the real problem is that for some reason the home and end keys
            are being completely trapped by the terminal programs. Both xterm and
            gnome-terminal behave that way as supplied by SUN.

            Because if I run od -c from a shell, and hit my insert, delete,
            pageup, and pagedown keys I get back a control character sequence. I
            get nothing for home and end.

            Same thing if I do control+v, and then hit one of the keys. It's like
            home and end are completely ignored.

            The home and end keys work just fine in regular X programs, just not
            any terminal programs.

            So bizarre, and frustrating.

            Thanks for your help so far, everything else you've suggested has
            worked great!

            I'm still mystified why this doesn't work out of the box...
          • Juergen Keil
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 14, 2005
              --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "eviltypeguy" <adonijah@g...> wrote:

              > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Keil" <jk@t...> wrote:
              > > You should be able to fix this for yourself, by recompiling the
              > "xterm"
              > > terminfo entry, adding "kend" and "khome" key definitions:>
              >
              > Sadly, that doesn't work. I also noticed that xterm.ti already has an
              > entry for "home", just not khome.

              A program can send the "home" sequence to the terminal, and the
              cursor will be positioned into the upper left corner.

              "khome" is the sequence of bytes sent by the terminal when the
              home key is pressed.

              two completely different things.

              > I think the real problem is that for some reason the home and end keys
              > are being completely trapped by the terminal programs. Both xterm and
              > gnome-terminal behave that way as supplied by SUN.

              That appears to be true for gnome-terminal.

              But as soon as I replace /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm
              with a version that includes "khome" and "kend" keys and restart
              gnome-terminal, gnome-terminal starts sending something for the home
              and end key.

              I also found out that I have to be careful with xterm tests, when
              the S10 companion CD is installed: there is
              /usr/openwin/bin/xterm and /opt/sfw/bin/xterm and the one in /opt/sfw
              sends something reasonable for home and end keys, but Solaris'
              /usr/openwin/bin/xterm doesn't.
            • eviltypeguy
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Keil" <jk@t...> wrote:
                > But as soon as I replace /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm
                > with a version that includes "khome" and "kend" keys and restart
                > gnome-terminal, gnome-terminal starts sending something for the home
                > and end key.

                Ah, ok, I redid everything per your previous email, and *after* I
                restarted gnome-terminal, then the home and end keys started working.
                But not until I replaced the term file and restarted gnome-terminal.

                Of course xterm fails to have working home and end keys still, but I
                don't ever use it, so I don't care about it...

                Oh so wondrous to have working home, end, page keys. Thank you so much! :)

                Now, if we can just get Sun to fix this glaring annoyance and make
                this the default for JDS I'd really be happy.

                I've never had to mess with terminfo before on any system this stuff
                just always worked.

                Thanks again!
              • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                  >Ah, ok, I redid everything per your previous email, and *after* I
                  >restarted gnome-terminal, then the home and end keys started working.
                  >But not until I replaced the term file and restarted gnome-terminal.

                  Yes, you need to restart.

                  >Of course xterm fails to have working home and end keys still, but I
                  >don't ever use it, so I don't care about it...

                  xterm eats the home/end/pageup/pagedown keys to scroll its own
                  buffer so they're never passed on to applications.

                  (I never use gnome-terminal; it's a pathetic excuse for an X application;
                  it does not work over a DSL link because it generates 10x as much traffic
                  as xterm does; it does work locally)

                  Casper
                • Tim Butler
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > Now, if we can just get Sun to fix this glaring annoyance and make
                    > this the default for JDS I'd really be happy.

                    Why wait for that? You could have put your modified terminfo
                    entry in your home directory, point $TERMINFO at it, and never
                    worry about it again. (I used to have use for hpterm and
                    aixterm entries, so I put them in my home dir so they'd be
                    available to me on every host.)

                    By modifying /usr/share/lib/terminfo, you run the risk of a
                    patch stomping on your changes.

                    tim
                  • Rich Teer
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                      On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 Casper.Dik@... wrote:

                      > (I never use gnome-terminal; it's a pathetic excuse for an X application;

                      Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

                      --
                      Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

                      President,
                      Rite Online Inc.

                      Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
                        --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Casper.Dik@S... wrote:

                        > >Ah, ok, I redid everything per your previous email, and *after* I
                        > >restarted gnome-terminal, then the home and end keys started working.
                        > >But not until I replaced the term file and restarted gnome-terminal.
                        >
                        > Yes, you need to restart.

                        The explanation is probably, that one gnome-terminal process is used
                        to display multiple gnome-terminal windows. When a gnome-terminal
                        is already running on the display and you start a new "gnome-terminal"
                        process, all that happens is that the "master" gnome-terminal is
                        told to open a new terminal window.

                        OTOH I'm a bit surprised that gnome-terminal needs to be restarted:
                        when I "truss" gnome-terminal from an xterm, and press the Home or
                        the End key, gnome-terminal opens and reads
                        /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm every time I press the Home or End
                        key.

                        That happens only for the Home & End key.

                        > >Of course xterm fails to have working home and end keys still, but I
                        > >don't ever use it, so I don't care about it...
                        >
                        > xterm eats the home/end/pageup/pagedown keys to scroll its own
                        > buffer so they're never passed on to applications.

                        Do you have custom xterm resources / translations, in
                        $HOME/.Xdefaults , that eats these keys and converts them to
                        xterm scroll actions ?

                        My /usr/openwin/bin/xterm sends ESC 5 ~ and ESC 6 ~ for
                        pageup/pagedown.

                        Both Home and End keys emit the same (!) sequence. This could to be
                        an xterm bug. Both keys either emit ESC [ \0 (when "Enable
                        Application Cursor keys" is disabled), or ESC O \0 (when application
                        cursor keys is enabled). The ASCII NUL control character at the end
                        seems to be a bug.

                        /opt/sfw/bin/xterm sends "H" or "F", instead of an ASCII NUL.

                        > (I never use gnome-terminal; it's a pathetic excuse for an X
                        application;
                        > it does not work over a DSL link because it generates 10x as much
                        traffic
                        > as xterm does; it does work locally)

                        Hmm, a few Solaris Express releases ago, I measured that a
                        "ls -lR /usr/share/man" inside a gnome terminale was 10x slower
                        than in a "dtterm" window.

                        This has improved a bit in S10-GA: now it's 2-3x slower.
                      • eviltypeguy
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                          > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "eviltypeguy" <adonijah@g...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Now, if we can just get Sun to fix this glaring annoyance and make
                          > > this the default for JDS I'd really be happy.
                          >
                          > Why wait for that? You could have put your modified terminfo
                          > entry in your home directory, point $TERMINFO at it, and never
                          > worry about it again. (I used to have use for hpterm and
                          > aixterm entries, so I put them in my home dir so they'd be
                          > available to me on every host.)

                          Well, I'm not waiting for it, I already did the workaround provided by
                          the other person which works great. I just hope the next time I clean
                          install a new release of Solaris I don't have to through this pain :)

                          > By modifying /usr/share/lib/terminfo, you run the risk of a
                          > patch stomping on your changes.

                          Hrm, thanks for the note here. I'll make sure I backup the file.
                        • eviltypeguy
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                            --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, Casper.Dik@S... wrote:
                            > (I never use gnome-terminal; it's a pathetic excuse for an X
                            application;
                            > it does not work over a DSL link because it generates 10x as much
                            traffic
                            > as xterm does; it does work locally)

                            Well, I use my Solaris box as my desktop so it's not a real concern.

                            However, if there's another terminal program that has tabs like
                            gnome-terminal does and works very similar but is efficient as you
                            say, then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm not parting with my tabbed
                            terminals :)
                          • Jon LaBadie
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                              On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:36:34PM -0000, Tim Butler wrote:

                              > --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, "eviltypeguy" <adonijah@g...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Now, if we can just get Sun to fix this glaring annoyance and make
                              > > this the default for JDS I'd really be happy.
                              >
                              > Why wait for that? You could have put your modified terminfo
                              > entry in your home directory, point $TERMINFO at it, and never
                              > worry about it again. (I used to have use for hpterm and
                              > aixterm entries, so I put them in my home dir so they'd be
                              > available to me on every host.)

                              It would be nice to have a "TERMINFOPATH", so your local terminfo
                              directory could just add to the system definitions rather than
                              replacing all 2000 of them.

                              --
                              Jon H. LaBadie jon@...
                              JG Computing
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 16, 2005
                                >It would be nice to have a "TERMINFOPATH", so your local terminfo
                                >directory could just add to the system definitions rather than
                                >replacing all 2000 of them.

                                That's exactly wath $TERMINFO does.

                                truss -t open infocmp vtbad > /dev/null
                                open("/var/ld/ld.config", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
                                open("/lib/libcurses.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
                                open("/lib/libc.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
                                open("/dev/null", O_RDWR) = 3
                                open("/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000/lib/libc_psr.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 4
                                open("/home/casper/.term/v/vtbad", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
                                open("/usr/share/lib/terminfo//v/vtbad", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
                                Sorry, I don't know anything about your "vtbad" terminal.

                                Casper
                              • Coy Hile
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 17, 2005
                                  --- Rich Teer <rich.teer@...> wrote:

                                  > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 Casper.Dik@... wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > (I never use gnome-terminal; it's a pathetic
                                  > excuse for an X application;
                                  >
                                  > Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

                                  Count me among them too. I use dtterm.

                                  -C

                                • Ben Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 17, 2005
                                    Coy Hile <coyhile@...>

                                    > --- Rich Teer <rich.teer@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 Casper.Dik@... wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > (I never use gnome-terminal; it's a pathetic
                                    > > excuse for an X application;
                                    > >
                                    > > Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!
                                    > >

                                    > Count me among them too. I use dtterm.

                                    I use gnome-terminal only because the integration of it
                                    is easier to deal with than dtterm. However, as Casper
                                    pointed out, it's a sorry excuse for a terminal emulator.
                                    It's slow, memory hungry (The last one i had up for about
                                    10 days grew to 150MB), and the only good thing I can say
                                    about it is the tab feature. Wish dtterm had a tabbed
                                    feature, then I wouldn't touch gnome-terminal.

                                    Ben
                                  • Jon LaBadie
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 17, 2005
                                      On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 08:53:46AM +0100, Casper.Dik@... wrote:

                                      > >It would be nice to have a "TERMINFOPATH", so your local terminfo
                                      > >directory could just add to the system definitions rather than
                                      > >replacing all 2000 of them.
                                      >

                                      > That's exactly wath $TERMINFO does.
                                      >
                                      > truss -t open infocmp vtbad > /dev/null
                                      > open("/var/ld/ld.config", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
                                      > open("/lib/libcurses.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
                                      > open("/lib/libc.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
                                      > open("/dev/null", O_RDWR) = 3
                                      > open("/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000/lib/libc_psr.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 4
                                      > open("/home/casper/.term/v/vtbad", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
                                      > open("/usr/share/lib/terminfo//v/vtbad", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
                                      > Sorry, I don't know anything about your "vtbad" terminal.

                                      Ok, so any particular application will search one additional TERMINFO db
                                      besides the one specified by TERMINFO. I'm pretty sure even that was not
                                      the situation when I first used TERMINFO vs TERMCAP. TERMINFO specified
                                      an alternative, not an additional db.

                                      However it still doesn't address the possibility of multiple TERMINFO db's
                                      as is done with variables like MANPATH, MAILPATH, ... On my system there
                                      are several TERMINFO db's installed:

                                      $ glocate '*/terminfo'
                                      /opt/csw/share/terminfo
                                      /opt/local/share/terminfo
                                      /opt/sfw/share/terminfo
                                      /usr/share/lib/terminfo

                                      I might like to sequence a search of my own and more than one of them.

                                      And when I do an "infocmp vtbad", I'd like to know that there might be
                                      a "vtbad" definition on one of the db's without having to run /bin/infocmp,
                                      /usr/local/bin/infocmp, /opt/csw/bin/infocmp, and /opt/sfw/bin/infocmp.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 17, 2005
                                        >Ok, so any particular application will search one additional TERMINFO db
                                        >besides the one specified by TERMINFO. I'm pretty sure even that was not
                                        >the situation when I first used TERMINFO vs TERMCAP. TERMINFO specified
                                        >an alternative, not an additional db.

                                        It's been that way since I used it in Solaris 2.x (which is pretty
                                        much 2.1)

                                        The specific terminfo file I used dates from:

                                        total 54
                                        drwxr-xr-x 2 casper ir 512 Dec 24 1992 9/
                                        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 Apr 16 1997 S/
                                        -rw-r--r-- 1 casper ir 9971 Mar 25 1993 cap
                                        -rw-r--r-- 1 casper ir 11050 Dec 24 1992 info
                                        drwxr-xr-x 2 casper ir 512 Feb 15 1999 s/
                                        drwxr-xr-x 2 casper ir 512 Dec 24 1992 t/
                                        drwxr-xr-x 2 casper ir 512 Dec 24 1992 v/
                                        drwxr-xr-x 2 casper ir 512 Dec 24 1992 x/

                                        Well, SunOS 4.x then.

                                        Casper
                                      • Henk Langeveld
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 17, 2005
                                          eviltypeguy <adonijah@...> wrote:
                                          > However, if there's another terminal program that has tabs like
                                          > gnome-terminal does and works very similar but is efficient as you
                                          > say, then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm not parting with my tabbed
                                          > terminals :)

                                          Why not use 'screen' ?

                                          Granted, it won't let you use the mouse or SHIFT-Arrow to move
                                          around. Been using it for 15 years...

                                          Cheers,
                                          Henk