Re: [solarisx86] Zones

  • Phillip B Bruce
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
      Robert Milkowski wrote:
      > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Phillip B Bruce wrote:
      >

      > > Got a question about zlogin.
      > >
      > > I issued a zloging -C testzone
      > >
      > > I then press enter again.
      > > I got the list of terminals to choose from.
      > >
      > > How can I change this to reflect the correct
      > > terminal after I selected the wrong one?
      > >
      > > Also why can't zlogin detect the terminal type
      > > that a user is using?
      >
      > You see sysidcfg started during first time log in after fresh zone
      > install. So it's the same as after you install Solaris itself.
      >
      > Easy way - sys-unconfig in a zone (testzone).
      Robert,

      Yes, that is one way to fix the problem as well as delete the zoone
      and start over. :)

      But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
      opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
      for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
      but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
      shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.

      Phillip
    • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
        > But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
        > opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
        > for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
        > but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
        > shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.

        I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
        user's shell? Yes, it should.

        Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
        the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.

        Casper
      • Phillip B Bruce
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
          Casper.Dik@... wrote:

          > > But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
          > > opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
          > > for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
          > > but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
          > > shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.
          >
          > I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
          > user's shell? Yes, it should.
          >
          > Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
          > the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.
          >
          > Casper
          Casper,

          Yes that is exactly what I mean, If that is the wrong thing to do
          then what is the right then to do?

          Phillip
        • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005

            >Casper.Dik@... wrote:
            >>
            >> > But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
            >> > opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
            >> > for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
            >> > but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
            >> > shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.
            >>
            >> I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
            >> user's shell? Yes, it should.
            >>
            >> Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
            >> the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.
            >>
            >> Casper
            >Casper,
            >
            > Yes that is exactly what I mean, If that is the wrong thing to do
            >then what is the right then to do?

            "Yes, it should" has two possible interpretation, I guess.

            I mean "yes, it's broken that it doesn't do that" and not "yes it
            should take the terminal type from zlogin, doesn't it do that
            for you?"

            Casper
          • Phillip B Bruce
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
              Casper.Dik@... wrote:

              > setup
              > Sorry Sun
              > >>
              > >> I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
              > >> user's shell? Yes, it should.
              > >>
              > >> Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
              > >> the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.
              > >>
              > >> Casper
              > >Casper,
              > >
              > > Yes that is exactly what I mean, If that is the wrong thing to do
              > >then what is the right then to do?
              >
              > "Yes, it should" has two possible interpretation, I guess.
              >
              > I mean "yes, it's broken that it doesn't do that" and not "yes it
              > should take the terminal type from zlogin, doesn't it do that
              > for you?"
              >
              > Casper
              Casper,

              It ask you for the terminal type every time.

              Phillip
            • Phillip B Bruce
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
                Casper.Dik@... wrote:

                > "Yes, it should" has two possible interpretation, I guess.
                >
                > I mean "yes, it's broken that it doesn't do that" and not "yes it
                > should take the terminal type from zlogin, doesn't it do that
                > for you?"
                >
                > Casper
                Casper,

                Correction, It ask for the terminal type once then I'm stuck using
                what has been set. If I want to correct that I would have to do either
                sys-unconfig which is senseless to do for this purpose anyway. Or
                I have to delete the zone and start over again.

                Phillip