Zones

  • Phillip B Bruce
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2005
      Got a question about zlogin.

      I issued a zloging -C testzone

      I then press enter again.
      I got the list of terminals to choose from.

      How can I change this to reflect the correct
      terminal after I selected the wrong one?

      Also why can't zlogin detect the terminal type
      that a user is using?

      Phillip
    • Robert Milkowski
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
        On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Phillip B Bruce wrote:

        > Got a question about zlogin.
        >
        > I issued a zloging -C testzone
        >
        > I then press enter again.
        > I got the list of terminals to choose from.
        >
        > How can I change this to reflect the correct
        > terminal after I selected the wrong one?
        >
        > Also why can't zlogin detect the terminal type
        > that a user is using?

        You see sysidcfg started during first time log in after fresh zone
        install. So it's the same as after you install Solaris itself.

        Easy way - sys-unconfig in a zone (testzone).

        --
        Robert Milkowski
        milek@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
          Robert Milkowski wrote:
          > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Phillip B Bruce wrote:
          >

          > > Got a question about zlogin.
          > >
          > > I issued a zloging -C testzone
          > >
          > > I then press enter again.
          > > I got the list of terminals to choose from.
          > >
          > > How can I change this to reflect the correct
          > > terminal after I selected the wrong one?
          > >
          > > Also why can't zlogin detect the terminal type
          > > that a user is using?
          >
          > You see sysidcfg started during first time log in after fresh zone
          > install. So it's the same as after you install Solaris itself.
          >
          > Easy way - sys-unconfig in a zone (testzone).
          Robert,

          Yes, that is one way to fix the problem as well as delete the zoone
          and start over. :)

          But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
          opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
          for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
          but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
          shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.

          Phillip
        • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
            > But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
            > opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
            > for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
            > but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
            > shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.

            I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
            user's shell? Yes, it should.

            Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
            the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.

            Casper
          • Phillip B Bruce
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
              Casper.Dik@... wrote:

              > > But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
              > > opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
              > > for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
              > > but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
              > > shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.
              >
              > I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
              > user's shell? Yes, it should.
              >
              > Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
              > the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.
              >
              > Casper
              Casper,

              Yes that is exactly what I mean, If that is the wrong thing to do
              then what is the right then to do?

              Phillip
            • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005

                >Casper.Dik@... wrote:
                >>
                >> > But sys-unconfig while it is the easy way and I agree. This is in my
                >> > opinion should never have to happen. The system has already been setup
                >> > for the terminal type. Now zlogin wants to know this again. Sorry Sun
                >> > but that is sloppy. The system is already setup and configured
                >> > shouldn't have to repeat these steps for each zones.
                >>
                >> I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
                >> user's shell? Yes, it should.
                >>
                >> Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
                >> the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.
                >>
                >> Casper
                >Casper,
                >
                > Yes that is exactly what I mean, If that is the wrong thing to do
                >then what is the right then to do?

                "Yes, it should" has two possible interpretation, I guess.

                I mean "yes, it's broken that it doesn't do that" and not "yes it
                should take the terminal type from zlogin, doesn't it do that
                for you?"

                Casper
              • Phillip B Bruce
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
                  Casper.Dik@... wrote:

                  > setup
                  > Sorry Sun
                  > >>
                  > >> I'm assuming you mean that zlogin should inherit $TERM from the
                  > >> user's shell? Yes, it should.
                  > >>
                  > >> Somewhat more difficult for "zlogin -C"; and copying the ttytype from
                  > >> the global zone is probably the wrong thing to do.
                  > >>
                  > >> Casper
                  > >Casper,
                  > >
                  > > Yes that is exactly what I mean, If that is the wrong thing to do
                  > >then what is the right then to do?
                  >
                  > "Yes, it should" has two possible interpretation, I guess.
                  >
                  > I mean "yes, it's broken that it doesn't do that" and not "yes it
                  > should take the terminal type from zlogin, doesn't it do that
                  > for you?"
                  >
                  > Casper
                  Casper,

                  It ask you for the terminal type every time.

                  Phillip
                • Phillip B Bruce
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Casper.Dik@... wrote:

                    > "Yes, it should" has two possible interpretation, I guess.
                    >
                    > I mean "yes, it's broken that it doesn't do that" and not "yes it
                    > should take the terminal type from zlogin, doesn't it do that
                    > for you?"
                    >
                    > Casper
                    Casper,

                    Correction, It ask for the terminal type once then I'm stuck using
                    what has been set. If I want to correct that I would have to do either
                    sys-unconfig which is senseless to do for this purpose anyway. Or
                    I have to delete the zone and start over again.

                    Phillip