New blastwave gcc 3.4.2 and Solaris 10

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Well somebody is paying attention to Solaris 10 as
      I noticed the newer installation of bastwave gcc 3.4.2
      is running 'mkheaders' in the post install now.
      Thank you.

      ---Bob
    • Dennis Clarke
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, palowoda wrote:

        > Well somebody is paying attention to Solaris 10 as
        > I noticed the newer installation of bastwave gcc 3.4.2
        > is running 'mkheaders' in the post install now.
        > Thank you.

        That would be Andreas Almroth, and he is definately "paying attention" to
        Solaris 10. I think that Solaris 10 for x86 build 69 is a reasonable
        build to start 32-bit package work and testing with. Therefore I will
        bring another build server online for the project and I simply must go
        with Sun ONE Studio 9 for Solaris 10.

        While I could go with the Sun ONE Studio 8 compiler collection on 32-bit
        Solaris 10 I think that it would be best to use the optimizations that are
        present in Sun ONE Studio 9. Unless someone feels that there are reasons
        to wait for the first patch update to Sun ONE Studio 9.

        I am sure that there will be some interesting differences in the speed of
        software compiled on Solaris 8 with Sun ONE Studio 8 and the same software
        compiled on Solaris 10 with Sun ONE Studio 9.

        +--------------------+---------------------------------------+
        | Dennis Clarke | Director and Admin for blastwave.org |
        | dclarke | Community Software Packages for |
        | @... | The Solaris Operating Environment |
        +--------------------+---------------------------------------+
      • Mark A. Lane
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004

          > > Well somebody is paying attention to Solaris 10 as
          > > I noticed the newer installation of bastwave gcc 3.4.2
          > > is running 'mkheaders' in the post install now.
          > > Thank you.
          >
          > That would be Andreas Almroth, and he is definately "paying
          > attention" to Solaris 10. I think that Solaris 10 for x86
          > build 69 is a reasonable build to start 32-bit package work
          > and testing with. Therefore I will bring another build
          > server online for the project and I simply must go with Sun
          > ONE Studio 9 for Solaris 10.
          >
          > While I could go with the Sun ONE Studio 8 compiler
          > collection on 32-bit Solaris 10 I think that it would be best
          > to use the optimizations that are present in Sun ONE Studio
          > 9. Unless someone feels that there are reasons to wait for
          > the first patch update to Sun ONE Studio 9.
          >
          > I am sure that there will be some interesting differences in
          > the speed of software compiled on Solaris 8 with Sun ONE
          > Studio 8 and the same software compiled on Solaris 10 with
          > Sun ONE Studio 9.

          Just how much faster is Studio 9 than Studio 8 on Sol 8 or Sol 10 ?
          Is it worth the price tag ?

          Yours,

          Mark A. Lane
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
            In message <004201c4c00f$e87264f0$0200000a@...>, "Mark A. Lane" writes:
            >Just how much faster is Studio 9 than Studio 8 on Sol 8 or Sol 10 ?
            >Is it worth the price tag ?

            Assuming Solaris Studio 10 will go FCS on January 31st, your best bet
            is a developer subscription which gets your Studio 9 now and SS10 later.

            What does Sun Australia have to offer you in this regard?

            Previously these promotions weren't available to EMEA or APAC. :(

          • Stuart F. Biggar
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
              > While I could go with the Sun ONE Studio 8 compiler collection on 32-bit
              > Solaris 10 I think that it would be best to use the optimizations that are
              > present in Sun ONE Studio 9. Unless someone feels that there are reasons
              > to wait for the first patch update to Sun ONE Studio 9.

              Dennis,

              There are Studio 9 patches out for SPARC:

              Patch-ID# 117551-01
              Date: Oct/29/2004

              and x86:

              Patch-ID# 117553-02
              Date: Oct/29/2004

              Install Requirements: None

              Solaris Release: 8_x86 9_x86

              SunOS Release: 5.8_x86 5.9_x86

              Unbundled Product: Sun Studio 9 C C++ Fortran

              I looked for the bugid for the x86 one but the only
              references I found were the patch readme and a patch
              list ...

              Stuart
            • maybird1776
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                --- In solarisx86@yahoogroups.com, John D Groenveld <jdg117@e...> wrote:
                > In message <004201c4c00f$e87264f0$0200000a@k...>, "Mark A. Lane" writes:
                > >Just how much faster is Studio 9 than Studio 8 on Sol 8 or Sol 10 ?
                > >Is it worth the price tag ?
                >
                > Assuming Solaris Studio 10 will go FCS on January 31st, your best bet
                > is a developer subscription which gets your Studio 9 now and SS10 later.
                >
                > What does Sun Australia have to offer you in this regard?
                >
                > Previously these promotions weren't available to EMEA or APAC. :(
                >
                > John
                > groenveld@a...

                This goes more into the C/C++ ABI compatibility issues of GCC 3.3/3.4
                and Sun Studio more than just a performance increase. A few people
                have experience in AMD64 optimizations on Linux/BSD systems with GCC
                and I would hate for the C/C++ ABI issue on Solaris to be a hold back
                of developers/maintainers willing to port libraries and apps to AMD64
                (64-bit) on Solaris yet having to deal with GCC<->Sun Studio migration
                efforts.

                Most compiler ISVs usually put out 20%-30% per major releases in
                performance gains.

                ~ Ken Mays @ EarthLink, Inc.
              • Ian Collins
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Mark A. Lane wrote:

                  >>I am sure that there will be some interesting differences in
                  >>the speed of software compiled on Solaris 8 with Sun ONE
                  >>Studio 8 and the same software compiled on Solaris 10 with
                  >>Sun ONE Studio 9.
                  >>

                  >Just how much faster is Studio 9 than Studio 8 on Sol 8 or Sol 10 ?
                  >Is it worth the price tag ?

                  I've been using 9 for a while now, while it does generate faster code, I
                  don't have any benchmarks as yet. I'll do some and post back. If you
                  have something you'd like me to try, let me know.

                  Ian
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                    In message <cm5n4a+slps@...>, maybird1776 writes:
                    >This goes more into the C/C++ ABI compatibility issues of GCC 3.3/3.4

                    Good point. I appreciate the efforts of everyone at Blastwave who helps
                    make more open source code open and portable to Solaris x86/AMD64, even
                    for those who don't use those packages.

                    Email to Aldo Mosca bounces as user unknown. Bummer, my impression was
                    that he was a friend to Solaris.

                    Perhaps Stuart Biggar could point his contact in Tools to blastwave.org.

                    Given the variety (and vagaries) of code you folks build under Solaris,
                    blastwave.org would be an ideal member of the EA program from where I sit.

                  • Al Hopper
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                      On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, maybird1776 wrote:

                      ... snip ....
                      > Most compiler ISVs usually put out 20%-30% per major releases in
                      > performance gains.

                      20-30%? I don't think so (but YMMV). Most of the "low hanging fruit"[1]
                      has already been picked clean IMHO. OTOH, we may see significant gains in
                      Solaris because the next rev of tools will be able to use platform specific
                      features like SSE2 & 64-bit instructions.

                      [1] refers to gathering fruit from a tree. The low hanging stuff can be
                      picked off easily and quickly. After that there's more work and risk in
                      getting the stuff higher up in the tree. The inference is that the
                      effort/risk curve is non-linear...

                      Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al@...
                      Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134
                      Solaris Express 10/04: Is it there yet? Now is it there? It *is*! :)
                    • Casper.Dik@Sun.COM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                        >20-30%? I don't think so (but YMMV). Most of the "low hanging fruit"[1]
                        >has already been picked clean IMHO. OTOH, we may see significant gains in
                        >Solaris because the next rev of tools will be able to use platform specific
                        >features like SSE2 & 64-bit instructions.

                        Plus a catch-up on years of neglect in the x86 tool chain; most of
                        the performance work went into SPARC specific and general optimizations.

                        The new tools will have quite a few "x86 specific" optimizations.

                        They will be a lot better than the earlier Sun compilers for x86.

                        Casper