Re: [solarisx86] Re: Sun Studio 9

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2004
      In message <cefusr+3vrm@...>, maybird1776 writes:
      >Sun would sell the C/C++ compiler as a separate piece to get it into
      >hands of students and small development shops at a lower price. The

      The EduSoft Individual Program[1] is supposed to cover students.
      Unfortunately, Sun has not created a system for students to receive
      Sun Studio serial numbers.

      1. <URL:http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/promotions/edusoft/individual/download/?>
    • Ian Collins
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 2, 2004
        Eric Bruno wrote:

        >The 400.00 was the upgrade price per platform for Sun Studio 8 compiler
        >collection .
        >So when one upgraded both SPARC and x86 versions of compiler the cost
        >was $800.00.

        Eh? The same key works for both platforms.

        >If Sun were to setup a Software certification program which the ISV
        >would have pay for JUST
        >LIKE Microsoft charges for certification. For each product and platform
        >you certify on you get 1 per platform.
        >So if you had a product which get certified on SPARC, x86 and JDS that
        >would give you 3 RTU's
        >Next would be if you can show sales of your product sell Sun hardware
        >have dollar level which grants
        >more RTU's

        What about the developer parter program? My 2 V65x's came with a 10RTU
        license for Studio 8 compiler collection. You also get quarterly
        updates of just about everything that runs on x86.

        Ian
      • Eric Bruno
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 2, 2004
          Ian Collins wrote:

          >Eric Bruno wrote:
          >

          >>The 400.00 was the upgrade price per platform for Sun Studio 8 compiler
          >>collection .
          >>So when one upgraded both SPARC and x86 versions of compiler the cost
          >>was $800.00.
          >>

          >Eh? The same key works for both platforms.

          For Studio 8 I had 2 different keys.
          For Studio 9 One key is supposed to work on all three platforms.
          Eric.

          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 2, 2004
            In message <410E575C.1010506@...>, Eric Bruno writes:
            >For Studio 8 I had 2 different keys.

            Same Studio 8 serial number works for SPARC and x86.

          • Eric Bruno
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 2, 2004
              John D Groenveld wrote:

              >In message <410E575C.1010506@...>, Eric Bruno writes:
              >

              >>For Studio 8 I had 2 different keys.

              This was for the compiler collection I order a media kit for both x86
              and Sparc, with license
              looks like I could have saved 400.00 dollars, never thought to try it, I
              assumed the key could
              tell the platform. Oh well.

              >Same Studio 8 serial number works for SPARC and x86.
              >
              >John
              >groenveld@...
              >

              >Please check the Links page before posting:
              >Post message: solarisx86@yahoogroups.com
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Eric Bruno
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 2, 2004
                John D Groenveld wrote:

                >In message <410E575C.1010506@...>, Eric Bruno writes:
                >

                >>For Studio 8 I had 2 different keys.

                This was for the compiler collection I ordered a media kit for both x86
                and Sparc, with the license
                looks like I could have saved 400.00 dollars, never thought to try using
                the license cross platform, I assumed the key could
                tell the platform. Oh well.

                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 9, 2004
                  In message <cefusr+3vrm@...>, maybird1776 writes:
                  >Something to consider as well is the cost of just the C/C++ compiler
                  >piece when compared to MS Visual C++ ($109.00 USD). I was thinking

                  BTW the $109 standard edition does not include the optimizing
                  compiler.
                  <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/howtobuy/choosing.aspx>

                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 12, 2004
                    In message <410C26CE.9050603@...>, Eric Bruno writes:
                    >For Microsoft you CANNOT just buy the enterprise development tools you
                    >have to
                    >buy the MSDN to get all then necessary tools. Only the Enterprise and

                    One of the things I really like about the MSDN Universal that some of
                    my colleagues are hooked on is Microsoft's packaging.

                    The CDs are numbered, dated, and color-coded so that you can find what
                    you're looking for very quickly.

                    The hardshell notebooks my one colleague uses fit well on his bookshelf
                    next to his technical books. Its a breeze to find and grab his SQL Server
                    CD when you need to try something out quickly on your laptop.

                    EduSoft ships their media in cardboard boxes with plastic folders bursting
                    with Sun's various software products. Sun doesn't make it easy for
                    customers to build a Sun Software library.

                    Does this resemble how Sun distributes the Sun Development Software
                    Enterprise Edition Subscription to iForce partners?

                  • Ian Collins
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 12, 2004
                      John D Groenveld wrote:

                      >EduSoft ships their media in cardboard boxes with plastic folders bursting
                      >with Sun's various software products. Sun doesn't make it easy for
                      >customers to build a Sun Software library.
                      >
                      >Does this resemble how Sun distributes the Sun Development Software
                      >Enterprise Edition Subscription to iForce partners?

                      Yes, a bit naff if you want to file and find stuff.

                      Ian
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 15, 2004
                        In message <410B8B15.1060804@...>, Adrian Saul writes:
                        >"Talent" and "media analyst" are an oxymoron.

                        IMO a realistic goal for the blogging community is not to revolutionize [1]
                        the "fourth estate" but give it some much needed competition.

                        Andrew Orlowski provides some intelligent analysis: "It's a better
                        press he wants, rather than no press." [2]

                        At least one reporter is hooked on the blogging craze and to Sun's
                        benefit:
                        <URL:http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1634861,00.asp>
                        | Sun has been pushing to grow its various businesses beyond the
                        | SPARC/Solaris architecture. In the volume systems space, Sun is
                        | rolling out servers powered by Opteron, which run Linux and Solaris
                        | x86.

                        It would be neat to see Sun's subscription statistics for the RSS feeds
                        of blogs.sun.com, but my naive instincts are that Sun will want to keep
                        that demographic information a trade secret.

                        Regardless, more HTTP_USER_AGENT set to "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; SunOS; en-US;
                        rv:1.4)" or similar would be a good thing for Sun.

                        Any word yet on the preferred RSS Aggregator for Solaris W2100z users?

                        1. <URL:http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/2004/05/04_200.html>
                        2. <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/29/sun_chief_blogs_to_glory/>