Hello from a new member

  • atlantaduck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2012
      Hi all,

      Just found this group via the Solace website and I'm glad it's out there! I'm due with daughter #2 in May and while I wouldn't qualify myself as someone who's experienced a birthing trauma per se, we did have quite a few early and unexpected events surrounding daughter #1's birth and the experience I had (along with those of some close friends) really opened my eyes to the term "birth trauma" and all that it can entail.

      I'm here in a more professional capacity for the most part (for now), hoping to learn more about what women who have survived birth trauma are needing as they move through recovery and how we professionals (I'm a psychologist when I'm at work, and Mama when I'm at home) can most effectively help.

      Cheers,
      Amy
    • jenneology
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
        Welcome Amy! Its great that you've come to an understanding of birth trauma without having experienced it yourself. If only there were more people out there like you. Its especially great that you are chosing to take action with your awareness. I'm impressed!

        Have you heard about the professional directory? If you are a pyschologist, we can get you listed on there as someone who is sensitive to women who have been traumatized and willing to work with them. You can find the information to submit in "Database" which you can click on the sidebar to your left (under home, messages, etc).

        One area that I would love to see psychologists speaking out is directly to the medical profession. It seems that there's a break in the feedback loop. Women go to maternity care providers, they are often traumatized as a result of what or how a provider says or does something, women seek out mental health help, psychologists hear horror stories of provider caused trauma and where is their forum for communicating it back to the doctors/midwives? Is it to be done via academic research, letters to the editors of journals? In-services to providers in hospitals or training programs? Articles in magazines for doctors and providers? This is one area that Solace is exploring and we can definitely use this group to brainstorm and get organized.

        Please jump in the conversation, and start some of your own! Thanks for joining and welcome!

        Jenne
        Moderator