Re: [solacesupporters] introduction

  • Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
      Re: [solacesupporters] introduction Hi Jenne,

      Please do, and thank you!

      Let me talk with Debbie Davis and see if we can come up with a list of people around the country who we know and trust.  It’s surprisingly difficult to find therapists who are skilled and comfortable working with perinatal trauma (comfort with PPD is easier to find, which is an improvement over ten years ago!).  Debbie and I are starting to work on our second book, for parents whose babies have been in the NICU (but who were not necessarily premature, which was the focus of the first book), so this discussion is very timely.

      If there are other projects you think I could be helpful with, please don’t hesitate to be in touch.

      Warmly,

      Mara

      On 9/1/10 12:32 AM, "Jenne d.N. Erigero Alderks" <jenneology@...> wrote:

      Mara, welcome. We're glad you are here.

      Do you mind if we share your business information on the mother's board?

      Also can you refer us to any other therapist who are familiar with perinatal trauma? That is one of the biggest questions we get from mothers: if we know of any therapists in their area.

      One of our planned projects is to compile a list of psychologists who know how to support traumatized mothers. You would be helping us by referring colleagues you know and trust.

      To: solacesupporters@yahoogroups.com
      From: docmara@...
      Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:52:21 -0500
      Subject: Re: [solacesupporters] introduction

      Hello all,

      My name is Mara Stein and I’m a clinical psychologist in Chicago specializing in perinatal and postpartum trauma and loss.  Over the years I’ve seen women (and their families) in a wide range of perinatal crises during pregnancy, delivery, and the postpartum period.  These families are the heart of my clinical practice.  I do love to work with these families and issues.

      I was delighted to find this group and look forward to getting to know more about all of you and the work you do on behalf of families.

      Warmly,

      Mara

      Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D.
      Clinical Psychologist
      773-338-2980
      coauthor:  Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child:  The Emotional Journey (Fulcrum, 2004) and (in progress with Debbie Davis) NICU Parenting (Fulcrum, tbd)
      docmara@... <http://docmara@...>

    • jenneology
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
        Sarah, welcome.

        My background too is very related to sociology (I majored in family studies) and you've described the path that I'm basically on. I'm a midwifery student and I'm hoping to get a PhD in public health (and hoping that I don't have to do a MPH first...)

        I share your frustration, discouragement and anger. Its a daunting task to change the way women are treated in the maternity care system. There is much work being done and at a certain point, it seems to hit a brick wall. I hope that here we can talk about how to overcome it and get beyond it.

        Please, if you know any mother-friendly OBs, refer them to this board. We need their insights into the system.

        I share your desire to work on both the micro and macro level. Remember the parable of the starfish in your doula work: "Its matters to this one."
      • jenneology
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
          That's a very good topic for a book and I'm glad that you are working on it. Good luck with it. If you are looking for stories from women, we could post something about it on the mother's board and see if anyone there wants to be interviewed for it. Let me know if that would be helpful.

          If/when you get a list of providers together, yes, please pass them on to us. We'll add them to the directory that Lindsey is working on. Its starting to come together. Are you on any listservs or psychologist mailing lists? Could you post about our group and our registry on there? Also if you know of newsletters for local or professional organizations, we'd love to get the word out through those.

          Lindsey and I are also working on contacting PSI therapists to invite them to be on the registry by culling through the lists published on the PSI website. We could split the list with you and hopefully get through it faster.

          For anyone else reading, this is an opportunity for you too. We are really hoping to make the directory for therapists available to our mothers and on our website soon and we could use the help. Our goal is to have therapists listed in each state of the US and then build from there.

          Jenne
          Moderator and Project Coordinator of Solace for Mothers

          --- In solacesupporters@yahoogroups.com, "Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D." <docmara@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jenne,
          >
          > Please do, and thank you!
          >
          > Let me talk with Debbie Davis and see if we can come up with a list of
          > people around the country who we know and trust. It¹s surprisingly
          > difficult to find therapists who are skilled and comfortable working with
          > perinatal trauma (comfort with PPD is easier to find, which is an
          > improvement over ten years ago!). Debbie and I are starting to work on our
          > second book, for parents whose babies have been in the NICU (but who were
          > not necessarily premature, which was the focus of the first book), so this
          > discussion is very timely.
          >
          > If there are other projects you think I could be helpful with, please don¹t
          > hesitate to be in touch.
          >
          > Warmly,
          >
          > Mara
          >

          > On 9/1/10 12:32 AM, "Jenne d.N. Erigero Alderks" <jenneology@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Mara, welcome. We're glad you are here.
          > >
          > > Do you mind if we share your business information on the mother's board?
          > >
          > > Also can you refer us to any other therapist who are familiar with perinatal
          > > trauma? That is one of the biggest questions we get from mothers: if we know
          > > of any therapists in their area.
          > >
          > > One of our planned projects is to compile a list of psychologists who know how
          > > to support traumatized mothers. You would be helping us by referring
          > > colleagues you know and trust.
          > >

          > > To: solacesupporters@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: docmara@...
          > > Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:52:21 -0500
          > > Subject: Re: [solacesupporters] introduction
          > >

          > >> Hello all,
          > >>
          > >> My name is Mara Stein and I¹m a clinical psychologist in Chicago specializing
          > >> in perinatal and postpartum trauma and loss. Over the years I¹ve seen women
          > >> (and their families) in a wide range of perinatal crises during pregnancy,
          > >> delivery, and the postpartum period. These families are the heart of my
          > >> clinical practice. I do love to work with these families and issues.
          > >>
          > >> I was delighted to find this group and look forward to getting to know more
          > >> about all of you and the work you do on behalf of families.
          > >>
          > >> Warmly,
          > >>
          > >> Mara
          > >>

          > > Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D.
          > > Clinical Psychologist
          > > 773-338-2980
          > > coauthor: Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey
          > > (Fulcrum, 2004) and (in progress with Debbie Davis) NICU Parenting (Fulcrum,
          > > tbd)
          > > docmara@... <http://docmara@...>

        • DL Shelden
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2011
            Hello. My name is Debra Shelden and I am a birth and postpartum doula in the Seattle area. Many of the women I work with prenatally and postpartum are trying to come to terms with their birth. I am also working with pregnant and postpartum women who are survivors of sexual abuse. I'm so glad to have found this group for support and education.