Re: [sohohunter] Comet-augmented solar wind on 5/23/2008

  • Alan Watson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2008
      Gidday Rob, Michal,
      The is over 9hr difference between entering the FOV Cor2A and FOV Cor2B
      (0,0) upper left, 2048x2048 FITS
      1 cor2a:20080522_103754_d4c2A 1329 2017 21 9
      2 cor2b:20080522_190754_d4c2B 340 1790 38 13
      3 cor2b:20080522_193754_d4c2B 353 1779 39 17

      Kind regards, Alan.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2008
        I agree with you Rob.this effect has been seen numerous times of other
        Kreutz comets and seems more than a coincidence to have a small outburst.

        I see Spaceweather has a small movie posted today of the comet.

        John

        --- In sohohunter@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Matson" <matsonr@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Wondered if anyone else noticed the augmented "puff" of solar wind
        > coming off the southwest limb of the solar disk, clearly due to the
        > passage of the latest very bright comet? Create a C2 movie of the
        > image sequence from 23 May 17:06-22:06 and you'll see there is no
        > doubt that the comet was the cause. The scope of the outburst is
        > even more impressive in C3. --Rob

      • Karl Battams
        Message 3 of 6 , May 25, 2008
          Rob et al,

          Yes, I noticed this on Friday too. It certainly does seem like a pretty big
          coincidence, and it's not the first we've had. My hesitance in the past has
          been for many reasons but one of the main ones has always been the ambiguity
          of the images. We are watching a series of events playing out in vast
          three-dimensional space and getting projected on to a flat plane where we
          have no perspective and/or idea of distances involved. However... we now
          have STEREO and a current separation angle of about 55-deg and so I am very
          eager to see the movies from COR2-A and B to see just where these events
          occurred in relation to one-another. If there is any hint of an
          interaction, I can assure you we'll follow up on it!

          My one remaining concern about this event is the timing of it all. The
          comet hadn't reach perihelion when the brightening and consequent eruption
          occurred -- in fact it was two or three solar radii above the surface. This
          would mean that any sun-comet interaction would have to have happened out
          there. So what we can do is look to the Sun's surface (EIT and EUVI) and
          see if the event originated there. If it did, then we will probably have to
          conclude another coincidence because there's no way the comet can interact
          with the hot corona while it is still well distanced from it.

          I'll keep you all posted on what our conclusions might be.

          Cheers,
          ~~Karl
          (PS: Disclaimer: I'm not a solar physicist!! What I wrote is purely my
          personal conjecture and I could be way off the mark! It sounds good
          though...) :)