Re: [sohohunter] Comet-augmented solar wind on 5/23/2008

  • Michal Kusiak
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2008
      Hi Rob and Alan
      Watch this.
      http://secchi.nrl.navy.mil/sccimages/index.php?subdir=Cor2_B&nothumb=0
      Rob's comet is entering in COR2 B FOV
      2008-05-22, Upper-left
      192220_tbc2B.png   215, 927
      195220_tbc2B.png   221, 921
      I think that further images will show up soon.
      Congratulations Rob on finding this bright Kreutz.

    • Alan Watson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2008
        Gidday Rob, Michal,
        The is over 9hr difference between entering the FOV Cor2A and FOV Cor2B
        (0,0) upper left, 2048x2048 FITS
        1 cor2a:20080522_103754_d4c2A 1329 2017 21 9
        2 cor2b:20080522_190754_d4c2B 340 1790 38 13
        3 cor2b:20080522_193754_d4c2B 353 1779 39 17

        Kind regards, Alan.

        I think that further images will show up soon.
        Congratulations Rob on finding this bright Kreutz.

      • John Sachs
        Message 3 of 6 , May 25, 2008
          I agree with you Rob.this effect has been seen numerous times of other
          Kreutz comets and seems more than a coincidence to have a small outburst.

          I see Spaceweather has a small movie posted today of the comet.

          John

          --- In sohohunter@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Matson" <matsonr@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Wondered if anyone else noticed the augmented "puff" of solar wind
          > coming off the southwest limb of the solar disk, clearly due to the
          > passage of the latest very bright comet? Create a C2 movie of the
          > image sequence from 23 May 17:06-22:06 and you'll see there is no
          > doubt that the comet was the cause. The scope of the outburst is
          > even more impressive in C3. --Rob

        • Karl Battams
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 2008
            Rob et al,

            Yes, I noticed this on Friday too. It certainly does seem like a pretty big
            coincidence, and it's not the first we've had. My hesitance in the past has
            been for many reasons but one of the main ones has always been the ambiguity
            of the images. We are watching a series of events playing out in vast
            three-dimensional space and getting projected on to a flat plane where we
            have no perspective and/or idea of distances involved. However... we now
            have STEREO and a current separation angle of about 55-deg and so I am very
            eager to see the movies from COR2-A and B to see just where these events
            occurred in relation to one-another. If there is any hint of an
            interaction, I can assure you we'll follow up on it!

            My one remaining concern about this event is the timing of it all. The
            comet hadn't reach perihelion when the brightening and consequent eruption
            occurred -- in fact it was two or three solar radii above the surface. This
            would mean that any sun-comet interaction would have to have happened out
            there. So what we can do is look to the Sun's surface (EIT and EUVI) and
            see if the event originated there. If it did, then we will probably have to
            conclude another coincidence because there's no way the comet can interact
            with the hot corona while it is still well distanced from it.

            I'll keep you all posted on what our conclusions might be.

            Cheers,
            ~~Karl
            (PS: Disclaimer: I'm not a solar physicist!! What I wrote is purely my
            personal conjecture and I could be way off the mark! It sounds good
            though...) :)