Re: a large comet in H2B

  • karlbattams
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007
      Hi Parrish,

      The B spacecraft is currently undergoing an Earth-Moon flyby (see
      http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/where.shtml), so you are going to
      see all sorts of strange artifacts in the images (most notably the
      Earth and the Moon!).

      Having said that, the object you are referring to does indeed appear
      to be a comet. My best guess, given that the HI-2 field is so wide and
      that the spacecraft is currently rolled at an angle of ~-40-degrees,
      is that it is seeing McNaught (again!). There's no way a comet that
      bright would go unnoticed until now.

      Cheers,
      ~~Karl