Error Vector Measurement

  • Richard Bown
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 9 12:00 PM
      Hi All
      With all the mail about Class E and F use, something that would be
      useful would be
      a program to measure error vector, its only really a phase comparison
      between the input signal and
      the output.
      Even with Class AB amps it would be a use indication of linearity of the
      amplifier, a project for someone ???
      Not me, I don't have the knowledge in that area to write it.

      73 Richard g8jvm
    • tom_iphi
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 10 7:07 AM
        Hi Richard,

        you can use my Vector-Networkanalyzer-Software to measure phase
        differences and amplitude ratios of left and right audio channel.

        You just have to mix down your RF to audio and you need stable rf
        sources.

        You can download the software from here:
        http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/index.shtml

        73, Tom DG8SAQ

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bown <richard.bown@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All
        > With all the mail about Class E and F use, something that would be
        > useful would be
        > a program to measure error vector, its only really a phase comparison
        > between the input signal and
        > the output.
        > Even with Class AB amps it would be a use indication of linearity of
        the
        > amplifier, a project for someone ???
        > Not me, I don't have the knowledge in that area to write it.
        >
        > 73 Richard g8jvm

      • FRANCIS CARCIA
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10 12:52 PM
          Tom,
          Good Article in QEX, Frank

        • gandalfg8@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10 1:14 PM
            In a message dated 10/03/2007 20:58:13 GMT Standard Time, carcia@... writes:
            Tom,
            Good Article in QEX, Frank
            Hi Frank and Tom

            I wouldn't want to infringe anyone's copyright but is there any chance of a copy of that article for us non QEX subscribers?

            regards

            Nigel
            GM8PZR
          • tom_iphi
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 10 1:31 PM
              I have permission to post that article in April on my webpage
              http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/index.shtml .
              QEX readers have the privilege to read it in March already.

              73, Tom DG8SAQ

              PS: Frank, thanks for the flowers!

            • gandalfg8@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10 2:39 PM
                In a message dated 10/03/2007 21:32:15 GMT Standard Time, iphi@... writes:
                I have permission to post that article in April on my webpage
                http://www.mydarc. de/dg8saq/ VNWA/index. shtml .
                QEX readers have the privilege to read it in March already.
                --------------------------

                That seems fair.

                If you could let us know when it's posted to your webpage that would be appreciated.

                regards

                Nigel
                GM8PZR
              • tom_iphi
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                  As promised here is the QEX article on my VNWA:
                  http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/baier.pdf

                  73, Tom DG8SAQ

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, gandalfg8@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 10/03/2007 21:32:15 GMT Standard Time, iphi@...
                  > writes:
                  >
                  > I have permission to post that article in April on my webpage
                  > _http://www.mydarc.http://wwwhttp://www.http:_
                  > (http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/index.shtml) .
                  > QEX readers have the privilege to read it in March already.
                  >

                  > --------------------------
                  >
                  > That seems fair.
                  >
                  > If you could let us know when it's posted to your webpage that
                  would be
                  > appreciated.
                  >
                  > regards
                  >
                  > Nigel
                  > GM8PZR

                • w2bvh
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                    Tom:

                    Any plans to:

                    Publish the complete circuit?
                    Extend th range?
                    Do a kit or partial kit?

                    If so, do you have an approximate  delivery time?

                    Thanks & 73,
                    Lenny W2BVH

                    tom_iphi wrote:

                    As promised here is the QEX article on my VNWA:
                    http://www.mydarc. de/dg8saq/ VNWA/baier. pdf

                    73, Tom DG8SAQ

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, gandalfg8@.. . wrote:

                    > In a message dated 10/03/2007 21:32:15 GMT Standard Time, iphi@...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > I have permission to post that article in April on my webpage
                    > _http://www.mydarc. http://wwwhttp: //www.http: _
                    > (http://www.mydarc. de/dg8saq/ VNWA/index. shtml) .
                    > QEX readers have the privilege to read it in March already.
                    >

                    > ------------ --------- -----
                    >
                    > That seems fair.
                    >
                    > If you could let us know when it's posted to your webpage that
                    would be
                    > appreciated.
                    >
                    > regards
                    >
                    > Nigel
                    > GM8PZR

                  • tom_iphi
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                      We're working on a kit. We're doing the layouting right now.
                      I hope to have the working kit together by summer as me and my
                      coworkers all have regular jobs at the same time :-).
                      We plan to cover up to 1GHz.

                      73, Tom DG8SAQ

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, w2bvh <w2bvh@...> wrote:

                      > Tom:
                      >
                      > Any plans to:
                      >
                      > Publish the complete circuit?
                      > Extend th range?
                      > Do a kit or partial kit?
                      >
                      > If so, do you have an approximate delivery time?
                      >

                      > Thanks & 73,
                      > Lenny W2BVH
                      >

                      > tom_iphi wrote:
                      > >
                      > > As promised here is the QEX article on my VNWA:
                      > > http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/baier.pdf
                      > > <http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/baier.pdf>
                      > >
                      > > 73, Tom DG8SAQ
                      > >
                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, gandalfg8@ wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > In a message dated 10/03/2007 21:32:15 GMT Standard Time, iphi@
                      > > > writes:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have permission to post that article in April on my webpage
                      > > > _http://www.mydarc.http://wwwhttp://www.http:_
                      > > <http://www.mydarc.http://wwwhttp://www.http:_>
                      > > > (http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/index.shtml
                      > > <http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/index.shtml>) .
                      > > > QEX readers have the privilege to read it in March already.
                      > > >

                      > > > --------------------------
                      > > >
                      > > > That seems fair.
                      > > >
                      > > > If you could let us know when it's posted to your webpage that
                      > > would be
                      > > > appreciated.
                      > > >
                      > > > regards
                      > > >
                      > > > Nigel
                      > > > GM8PZR

                    • Richard Bown
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                        tom_iphi wrote:

                        > As promised here is the QEX article on my VNWA:
                        > http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/baier.pdf
                        > <http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/VNWA/baier.pdf>
                        >
                        > 73, Tom DG8SAQ

                        Looks interesting Tom, how have you overcome the spurii from the
                        LO & RF DDSs, or is it the case that they can be ignored as not to
                        effect the
                        measurement accuracy ??

                        Just curious
                        73 Richard

                        --
                        **************************
                        Registered Linux user 365161
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                          > Looks interesting Tom, how have you overcome the spurii from the
                          > LO & RF DDSs, or is it the case that they can be ignored as not to
                          > effect the
                          > measurement accuracy ??

                          Hi Richard,

                          In fact, I want the spurs, as they extend the frequency range of my
                          VNWA to beyond fclock.
                          As I run the LO DDS and RF DDS on mutually different clocks, the
                          unwanted spurs don't interfere with the measurement on the wanted spurs.
                          BTW: I call the spurs aliases.

                          73, Tom DG8SAQ
                        • Richard Bown
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                            tom_iphi wrote:

                            > > Looks interesting Tom, how have you overcome the spurii from the
                            > > LO & RF DDSs, or is it the case that they can be ignored as not to
                            > > effect the
                            > > measurement accuracy ??
                            > >
                            > Hi Richard,
                            >
                            > In fact, I want the spurs, as they extend the frequency range of my
                            > VNWA to beyond fclock.
                            > As I run the LO DDS and RF DDS on mutually different clocks, the
                            > unwanted spurs don't interfere with the measurement on the wanted spurs.
                            > BTW: I call the spurs aliases.
                            >
                            > 73, Tom DG8SAQ

                            -Very interesting approach Tom, It would be nice to see some linux software to drive it as well

                            73 Richard-
                            Registered Linux user 365161
                            Ham Call G8JVM
                            http://software-radio.org.uk
                          • Bill Dumke
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                              Tom,

                              Sounds like you used the problem to solve the problem. Good Work!

                              Bill wa9pwr