Re: [softrock40] Re: ICS501 Where to Buy

  • KY1K
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
      At 11:58 AM 11/6/2005, you wrote:

      >Bruce K3CMZ wrote:
      > > Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of the ICS501 IC'S
      > >
      > > see www.icst.com/datasheets/ics501.pdf
      > >
      > > This ic may work well as a crystal oscillator for the SoftRock
      > > series of radio.

      But, if you must have it, America II Electronics has 250 in stock,
      Quest Components has 4000 in stick.

      I actually wonder why a 74AC04 wouldn't work just as well....

      GL to all.

      Art

      > Bruce,
      > consider carefully the use of that chip. While I haven't ever
      >used it, and so I can't speak from experience, I have been told
      >from knowledgeable persons that its phase noise is terrible, as
      >it is meant as a clock generator for logic circuits, and not for
      >analog applications where spectral purity is of utmost importance.
      >
      >73 Alberto I2PHD
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
        With 25 ps jitter, would that be suitable for a receiver clock?

        I seen it used to generate the carrier for a 2 meter transmitter.

        At 10:42 AM 11/6/2005, you wrote:
        >Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of the ICS501 IC'S
        >
        >see www.icst.com/datasheets/ics501.pdf
        >
        >This ic may work well as a crystal oscillator for the SoftRock
        >series of radio.
        >
        >The only source that I have found has a mim of 96 peices,
        >which is a bit much for me to try out!
        >
        >On top of that, I might not be able to even see the dang thing!
        >
        >Any comments?
        >
        >Bruce K3CMZ
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
        same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
        only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...
      • KD5NWA
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
          They have it for about $1.50 or less in qty 1

          < http://www.nuhorizons.com/ >

          The ICS601 has better specifications, in terms of phase noise and
          it's about $4.50

          At 10:42 AM 11/6/2005, you wrote:
          >Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of the ICS501 IC'S
          >
          >see www.icst.com/datasheets/ics501.pdf
          >
          >This ic may work well as a crystal oscillator for the SoftRock
          >series of radio.
          >
          >The only source that I have found has a mim of 96 peices,
          >which is a bit much for me to try out!
          >
          >On top of that, I might not be able to even see the dang thing!
          >
          >Any comments?
          >
          >Bruce K3CMZ
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >--

          Cecil Bayona
          KD5NWA
          www.qrpradio.com

          I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
          same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
          only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...
        • Bruce K3CMZ
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
            Thanks to KD5NWA I2PHD and KY1K for the comments

            The ICS501 is used in the Time Machine by ESS
            for their crystal osl, and I think it might be a fun
            way to generate some RF.

            With the Mim Order and shipping the cost
            is not to bad compared to some of the DDS
            VFO projects in the works, and the cost of
            crystals from DigiKey/Mouser is doable.

            After all the SoftRock40 Kit was $23, do I
            need a $300 VFO.

            Thanks Again
            Bruce K3CMZ

            On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:42:39 -0500, you wrote:

            >Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of the ICS501 IC'S
            >
            >see www.icst.com/datasheets/ics501.pdf
            >
            >This ic may work well as a crystal oscillator for the SoftRock
            >series of radio.
            >
            >The only source that I have found has a mim of 96 peices,
            >which is a bit much for me to try out!
            >
            >On top of that, I might not be able to even see the dang thing!
            >
            >Any comments?
            >
            >Bruce K3CMZ
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David WardenDurkee
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
              Hi Bruce,
              I don't have the ICS501, but I have the ICS512 and ICS501.
              I'll send one of each to you. I have your address from QRZ.
              You should get the envelope in a few days.

              Dave
              AD5JO

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                Hello Dave

                Thank You Very Very Much

                It will be interresting to see what I can do with these.

                With Tony about to start the SoftRock v5 it
                will be quite a busy Holiday Season.

                I want to put the SoftRock on 10.7mhz to
                act as an IF strip for my VHF/UHF and Microwave
                radios. The ICS chips will be a big help.

                Christmas comes early, Thank You

                Bruce K3CMZ