Re: [softrock40] non linear SSB PA, [WOT]

  • richard
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
      Art wrote:

      > Greetings all,
      >
      > I've recently become interested in using non linear amplifiers to
      > amplify SSB. Obviously, this is a problem, we all know an amplifier
      > for SSB has to be linear, or class AB1.
      >
      > Even if we bias an AB1 amp properly, some (all) power amps have non
      > linear responses. Even if we put the cleanest audio on the planet
      > into them, they don't work well. We refer to this problem with many
      > different technical terms. But, the problem is non-linearity in the
      > PA itself. Whenever the output of a PA is distorted, it uses more
      > spectrum than it should and causes interference well outside it's
      > expected bandwidth.
      >
      > The short version is that the amplifiers output doesn't follow the input.

      <snip>

      Yes it possible but its asking for trouble in Ham land, I've worked on
      amplifiers that
      reduce distortion, by prediction the effect a non-linear PA has,
      intermod, transients etc,
      and correcting phase and amplitude before it fed to the PA.
      Its not a technology I feel would be easy to use on Ham applications,
      Using it for edge and similar
      modes maybe, but SSB is push the limits hard. you can predict and alter
      a signal when you know the exact pattern
      ,speech is much harder

      Richard