Re: Softrock 40/80 debug

  • tom_iphi
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
      How about this idea:
      apply a high enough voltage to the suspicious via and fuse out the
      connection.

      If you reduce the voltage this is also a neat method for finding
      shorts thru the voltage drop. Just need a voltmeter that can measure
      millivolts voltage drops.

      73, Tom DG8SAQ

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, richard <richard.bown@...> wrote:

      > Michael Karliner wrote:
      > >
      > > I completed the build of my TXRX today, checked resistances and
      > > initial current drain which seem OK. Upon connecting up to my
      > > PC and Rocky, I'm getting faint signals, but they are symmetrical
      > > around the center frequency, and connecting headphones to output
      shows
      > > that I've got no signal on the tip side.
      > > Unfortunately, I have not much in the way of test gear at the
      > > moment, although I'm trying to borrow a scope.
      > >
      > > Any words of wisdom or suggestions for debugging?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance Mike (G8LKD, when I get this working..)

      > Here's an unusual way finding dry/unsoldered joints on surface
      mount ICs

      > Get yourself a 5 cms hypodermic needle, I find the green ones are
      best,
      > and holding the plastic end
      > gently run the point along the length of the IC over each pin. When
      you
      > go over a dry or unsoldedred joint
      > you will hear the note change.
      > so on a chip with 8 pins each side , on a good one you will hear
      ping
      > ,ping ping, ect 8 times,
      > as you find one thats dry the ping will sound much lower.
      > You cant do it with a solid needle it needs to be hollow to work,
      and
      > being made of stainless steel
      > you can always use the tip , made into a little hook to lift a leg
      of an
      > IC for test purposes.
      >
      > Even a solder bridge between pins is enough to change the resonance
      as
      > you go over it.
      >
      > HTH
      > Richard

    • pmartin45601
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
        Then you'll have a carbon trace where the short was. Maybe not a
        short but a resistance non-the-less. Probably not a good idea.
        Paul

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom_iphi" <iphi@...> wrote:

        > How about this idea:
        > apply a high enough voltage to the suspicious via and fuse out the
        > connection.
        >
        > If you reduce the voltage this is also a neat method for finding
        > shorts thru the voltage drop. Just need a voltmeter that can
        measure
        > millivolts voltage drops.
        >
        > 73, Tom DG8SAQ
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, richard <richard.bown@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Michael Karliner wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I completed the build of my TXRX today, checked resistances and
        > > > initial current drain which seem OK. Upon connecting up to my
        > > > PC and Rocky, I'm getting faint signals, but they are
        symmetrical
        > > > around the center frequency, and connecting headphones to
        output
        > shows
        > > > that I've got no signal on the tip side.
        > > > Unfortunately, I have not much in the way of test gear at the
        > > > moment, although I'm trying to borrow a scope.
        > > >
        > > > Any words of wisdom or suggestions for debugging?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance Mike (G8LKD, when I get this working..)

        > > Here's an unusual way finding dry/unsoldered joints on surface
        > mount ICs
        > >
        > > Get yourself a 5 cms hypodermic needle, I find the green ones are
        > best,
        > > and holding the plastic end
        > > gently run the point along the length of the IC over each pin.
        When
        > you
        > > go over a dry or unsoldedred joint
        > > you will hear the note change.
        > > so on a chip with 8 pins each side , on a good one you will hear
        > ping
        > > ,ping ping, ect 8 times,
        > > as you find one thats dry the ping will sound much lower.
        > > You cant do it with a solid needle it needs to be hollow to work,
        > and
        > > being made of stainless steel
        > > you can always use the tip , made into a little hook to lift a
        leg
        > of an
        > > IC for test purposes.
        > >
        > > Even a solder bridge between pins is enough to change the
        resonance
        > as
        > > you go over it.
        > >
        > > HTH
        > > Richard

      • tom_iphi
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
          You just have to provide enough energy so the whisker evaporates at
          once. The professionals do it sometimes like this.
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@...>
          wrote:

          > Then you'll have a carbon trace where the short was. Maybe not a
          > short but a resistance non-the-less. Probably not a good idea.
          > Paul
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom_iphi" <iphi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > How about this idea:
          > > apply a high enough voltage to the suspicious via and fuse out
          the
          > > connection.
          > >
          > > If you reduce the voltage this is also a neat method for finding
          > > shorts thru the voltage drop. Just need a voltmeter that can
          > measure
          > > millivolts voltage drops.
          > >
          > > 73, Tom DG8SAQ
          > >
          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, richard <richard.bown@> wrote:

          > symmetrical
          > output
          > > shows

          > > > Here's an unusual way finding dry/unsoldered joints on surface
          > > mount ICs
          > > >
          > > > Get yourself a 5 cms hypodermic needle, I find the green ones
          are
          > > best,
          > > > and holding the plastic end
          > > > gently run the point along the length of the IC over each pin.
          > When
          > > you
          > > > go over a dry or unsoldedred joint
          > > > you will hear the note change.
          > > > so on a chip with 8 pins each side , on a good one you will
          hear
          > > ping
          > > > ,ping ping, ect 8 times,
          > > > as you find one thats dry the ping will sound much lower.
          > > > You cant do it with a solid needle it needs to be hollow to
          work,
          > > and
          > > > being made of stainless steel
          > > > you can always use the tip , made into a little hook to lift a
          > leg
          > > of an
          > > > IC for test purposes.
          > > >
          > > > Even a solder bridge between pins is enough to change the
          > resonance
          > > as
          > > > you go over it.
          > > >
          > > > HTH
          > > > Richard

        • Michael Karliner
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
            Well,
            I've spent some hours now, checking everything around
            U8, the output op amp, and the U7, the FST 3253.

            It all checks ok to voltages and connectivity.
            I've got plenty of signals, in fact DigPan,
            connected up through Rocky, is showing tons
            of PSK activity on 40M.

            However, I definitely don't have any signal out
            of the op amp connected to the 'tip' output,
            so the whole band is folded over.
            Also, I can't really see very much if I switch
            to 80M, although it may just be quiet.

            My best guess is that the op amp is dead
            or that one of the clocks into U7 is somehow
            not there.
            Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I guess
            I'll have to wait for access to a scope.

            Mike

            --
            Care about the iTunes charts? Try iTracker
            <http://www.modern-industry.com/itracker> , the iTunes history tracker.
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
              Thanks for the advice Philip,

              after some hours, I can fairly surely say that checked continuity
              everywhere to be OK. What I now have is strong signals, at least
              on 40 Meters, including plenty of PSK activity, but no signal on the
              'tip' output, so the band is completely folded over.

              Having got hold of a scope, I can see the I and Q clock signals.
              So, my thought is either I have a dead op amp or I've done something
              stupid to T1. I'm not quite clear enough about the design to be
              able to guess. Any illumination would be very welcome.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
                Correction T4, (looking at RX schematic...).

                Mike

                --
                Care about the iTunes charts? Try iTracker
                <http://www.modern-industry.com/itracker> , the iTunes history tracker.
              • Tony Parks
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Hi Michael,

                  Please check the DC voltage level at pin 7 of U8.  This DC voltage should be around 2.5 volts.  Also check right at the pin 15 lead of U7 to make sure it is at less than 0.5 volts.  Post what you see and I will make additional suggestions.

                  73,
                  Tony KB9YIG

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Yep, all of those things are true.

                    I have about 50mv on pins 15 and 1 of U7.

                    Mike

                    Mike